shape
carat
color
clarity

Who should we get a cert from?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TheDiamondangel

Shiny_Rock
Well, my ring has returned from the dealer in NY. I''ve measured the stone and looked at it with my loupe, and it is the same stone that I sent to him. Tomorrow I''m heading over to our local jeweler, with whom I am getting more comfortable with. They have a few Alfred Levitt settings that I love, and want hubby to pick one out for the round. I''ve not had a matched set of rings yet. Bill loves yellow gold, and I love platinum. As long as we agree on the design, it doesn''t really matter to me what metal they use as long as the head is platinum. The owner''s son and I have have discussed sending the stone out for a cert at the time that we get it remounted. I think that''s the smartest thing to do. We''ll know finally once and for all what the real color of the stone is.

It''s kind of hard to decide which lab to go with though...GIA or EGL. GIA is pretty much the gold standard for certs, but they don''t give you pavillion, culet and crown angle percentages, which are necessary for determining the cut class. But on the other hand, EGL has a reputation for being more leinent with their color and clarity grades. I''m going to ask the jeweler if it''s possible to get that information from whoever grades the stone. Someone had suggested to me trying to get an AGS cert. Is that possible? Who would be best to send this stone to for a cert?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
DA, have you thought about getting an appraisal from Dave Atlas's company instead?

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
GIA will grade a stone for consumers. Call them and ask the time frame, as they may be delayed in getting work out. 800-421-7250 As for the lab.

AGS only accept stones from the trade. If you want AGS - ask the jeweler to get it for you.

Rockdoc

TheDiamondangel

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the fast responses! I think I will ask if the jeweler here in town can get an AGS report for the stone.

Cassandra

Shiny_Rock
Furthermore, yes they cert stones smaller than 1 carat. When you submit a diamond to them for grading you pick either the full report or the Dossier. I picked the full report for my little 1/2 carat pear. :razz:

TheDiamondangel

Shiny_Rock
That's a pretty little pear, Cassandra. BTW, congratulations on the marriage!

Cassandra

Shiny_Rock
Thanks DiamondAngel.
1.gif

It's nice to see you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results