shape
carat
color
clarity

Who should I look for to recut a cushion into an asscher?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
My aunt that is a gem collector came across a 60 carat piece of London Blue topaz. It is currently in a really awful cushion cut (it is a checkerboard pattern, which we both hate), but the stone itsself is perfectly clear and an amazing color. She hasn''t had it appraised, but wants to get it recut. I know Richard Homer does that, but does he do asschers?
31.gif
Because if he does, then I CAN HAVE A PIECE TOO!

I am way stoked, in case you can''t tell.

So suggest away at me ladies. I already have asked Jeff White about a pink asscher and he''s a busy guy, so I''d like to ask someone else for this one, specifically since it''s a recut. My aunt plans to cut the gem in half and I get a piece of nearly 30 carats for whatever I want.
23.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Jeff White.

Yes, he''s busy, but he''s WORTH IT.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
MP, Richard could cut it to an Asscher, if the stone lends itself to that cut (right depth, etc.). However, I "think" he has stopped recutting stones for people. You could ask him to be sure, but if I recall correctly, cinnamon told me that awhile back.

And not to take anything away from Jeff, but Richard's got work in the Smithsonian Institute, he's no slouch when it comes to cutting.
2.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jeff cut an asscher for me and I'm pleased as punch.

ETA: Oops, I didn't read your post carefully. You could try Dan Stairs as well.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Harriet, where can I find him? I tried looking that name up in google and failed :/

I think I may just hold onto this piece until Jeff has finished with my pink asscher then. I certainly wouldn''t object to having TWO Jeff White asschers
31.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2008 9:56:31 AM
Author: Ellen
MP, Richard could cut it to an Asscher, if the stone lends itself to that cut (right depth, etc.). However, I ''think'' he has stopped recutting stones for people. You could ask him to be sure, but if I recall correctly, cinnamon told me that awhile back.

And not to take anything away from Jeff, but Richard''s got work in the Smithsonian Institute, he''s no slouch when it comes to cutting.
2.gif

WOW. that''s amazing.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2008 3:37:20 PM
Author: MonkeyPie

I think I may just hold onto this piece until Jeff has finished with my pink asscher then. I certainly wouldn''t object to having TWO Jeff White asschers
31.gif
I just realized I didn''t say this in my previous post: JW recuts stones fairly regularly, I think.

The sapphire I just got from him is a recut of a 3+ ctw native cut.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2008 7:29:04 PM
Author: LostSapphire

I just realized I didn''t say this in my previous post: JW recuts stones fairly regularly, I think.

Oh! Lucky me then :) Maybe instead of the pink asscher I will just have him cut this one for me. It may be awhile - my aunt is still looking for someone to cut her stone too. Maybe I will convince her to have Jeff do it and he can cut both of them at the same time.

rangerman40

Rough_Rock
I''d wait for Jeff White to do it.... he recut me a pink asscher a few months ago. It used to be a 3.58ct oval

21asscher1.jpg

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2008 3:37:20 PM
Harriet, where can I find him? I tried looking that name up in google and failed :/

31.gif
www.customgemstones.com I haven''t worked with Dan Stairs, but others here have and have been happy.

I''d wait for Jeff. He''s such a pleasure to work with.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2008 11:27:43 PM
Author: rangerman40
I''d wait for Jeff White to do it.... he recut me a pink asscher a few months ago. It used to be a 3.58ct oval

That''s AMAZING! And exactly what I am looking for. Lucky you, that''s a gorgeous stone!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2008 11:11:21 PM

Date: 7/13/2008 7:29:04 PM
Author: LostSapphire

I just realized I didn't say this in my previous post: JW recuts stones fairly regularly, I think.

Oh! Lucky me then :) Maybe instead of the pink asscher I will just have him cut this one for me. It may be awhile - my aunt is still looking for someone to cut her stone too. Maybe I will convince her to have Jeff do it and he can cut both of them at the same time.
I *think* that the time wait for JW is more for him to source stones, as opposed to the actual cutting.....you should be in luck!!

ETA: I'd e-mail Jeff and ask him about this: he may prefer to do the "splitting" of the stone as well, as he will then have to map out how the 2 pieces end up.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results