shape
carat
color
clarity

Who Needs Vegas: Proposal (in 3 parts) for a DC Pricescope “working” get-together…

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
So…would any others of you like to join me in downtown DC this summer for a get together, where we could maybe learn a bit from each other about how to judge a good looking diamond (or other gem), to boot? Or…maybe also, learn what not to buy?

Here’s the proposal in 3 pieces:

1) The appetizer: Get together, clearing ½ day, say…from 11 – 3, on Saturday, August 20, (edited to update...we are now planning to meet on Sunday August 21, 11 - 4) and spend about an hour and 1/2 at the annual Gem & Jewelry show, checking out the booths…and maybe finding some things that look good or look deceptively bad. Then, after lunch, we can share with each other what we’ve found, showing what looks good or bad to us (but if it looks bad, remember to be kind).

2) The main course: Get together for lunch at 12:30; I have one place in mind, but there actually seems to be a number of options; others may have a suggestion. Per Sevens One other recent rendezvous…we might keep the location tbd on the QT.

3) The dessert: get a shirt…it will have a Pricescope logo on it. Leonid…you’re going to have to pony up for the logo, but if others come (and you know, you can provide this, once set up, to anybody, anytime) for $100 for setting that up at Lands End, that will get you a bunch of free advertising worth untold…well, it would be a nice good will gesture, anyway (Then, too, we can go into our favorite B&M, with our Pricescope logo on our shirt, and the shopkeeper – whether he’s frowning or smiling – that may tell us a lot!). Each of us would pop for our own shirt, paying Land’s End directly, (once the logo is set up by Leonid), approx $30 (but selecting our own, range is $25 – 50, with logo included). Try this, too: (contemplating ASET colors)…us prosumers get a green shirt (call it for contrast), other vendors local to the area who might visit with us, (Young papa, w/ DCD, Capital Bill w/ Ice Mine)…you pick a red shirt and we hope you’ll come to mix it up, and then appraisers in the area (they could be invited, none log on I know of) can wear blue…also, if they’ll do a stand-up eval, for even a modest charge, they should be able to make a bundle there.

Anyway, I’m planning on going, and unless there’s a coordination issue…Saturday is suggested. Other details, only suggested above, tbd.

What do ya think?

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Sounds good to me!
2.gif

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I would totally be up for that too! Sounds like a lot of fun!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
I''m In!
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m in sounds like fun!!!

Capitol Bill

Shiny_Rock
Hey Garry!
Tonight would work for me!
Bill

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Garry,

Well...sorry to have missed that; put us on your short list if you're in town again.

Based on the positive response so far...looks like we're on, and the date and time frame will work (edited to add; I've also heard of a Sunday preference; please advise if this is true for you, too). Ping me (pm me) if you haven't yet and if you have a suggestion for a lunch place, though really, we have till August to firm that up (and I can let you know off line what's suggested already).

Also, Leonid has given a supportive nod to this venture. It's tbd if this will materialize into an actionable item for shirt acquisition, but I'm hoping we'll actually hear from him if that part of the piece will go forward, too (since we'd need the logo).

Best,

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds fun
10.gif

I am definitely interested.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
COOOLLLL... I wanna come!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Choose a Sunday lunch place tomorrow where there is a nice garden we can easily get to by metro and Drena will let me come.

We are free after my cousin leaves at around 11.45am.

Sorry about short notice

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
That sounds spiffy and I adore you idea of PS t-shirts, how fun! I have to look at my schedule but I think that sounds like a ton of fun!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
See my pm/e-mail; great to have you in the area. It''s the eve of Shavuous, though, and a challenging day. Crossing fingers it will work for some of us.

Best,

Capitol Bill

Shiny_Rock
Regular Guy,
Did this thing ever come together today?
Bill

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think so, and despite best intentions, I think in the best of cases, I''d make a louse social secretary. If Garry is still available, a pm/e-mail to him is recommended; I have commitments that are taking me out of the loop.

Best,

Capitol Bill

Shiny_Rock
Garry,
I''m so glad you were able to visit our fair city and take in some of the sights (and food). It was lovely to spend some time with you and Drena! Sorry about the humidity, but that''s classic DC. At least you weren''t here in August. The fact that my wife has made it through many DC summers dispells the notion that Aussies can''t survive here! Enjoy the rest of your multi-city tour. Perhaps the more appropriate t-shirts to have printed up would have been "Garry & Drena''s USA Summer Tour ''05 -- Coming to a City Near You!"
Warm regards and godspeed
35.gif
Bill

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2005 11:30:10 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Just did 2 Jazz places on U street - around 1300 - 1 seedy and 1 ok.
feeling stuffed and fat on US comfort food
Garry,
U street? You get around.
2.gif

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like fun, i would love to come and so far the date works! I had to miss the social Sevens planned.
7.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thankyou Bill
Especially for the backroom tour or the Smithsonian gem collection
Here is a real close up of the diamond Butterfly - what is the collection called?

Its Dave Atlas tomorrow.
More Jazz tonite - we caught the tail end of a great club in Philly last night.
And we entertained the Amish today

SmithsssColorD.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
You were in Philly??? Did you have a cheese steak??? Oh those poor Amish, how will they ever recover. I live 20 mins from Philly.
3.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2005 8:04:02 PM
Here is a real close up of the diamond Butterfly - what is the collection called?
aurora diamond collection

i bet you did!
37.gif

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/14/2005 9:17:05 PM
Author: belle

Date: 6/14/2005 8:04:02 PM

aurora diamond collection

i bet you did!
37.gif

Garry, what route did you take??????? Where next, NYC??? (after Philly)

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I somehow missed this thread until now!! Of course, my brain has been moving slow-motion these days getting over being sick (turned out to be Mono) and finishing my kids'' school year and all their activities. I''m glad it''s finally at an end.

Count me in for the August get-together. The Saturday or Sunday date is fine with me.
DiamondLil

P.S. Sorry I missed welcoming you to DC, Gary. I hope you will come again someday. Unfortuntaely, the weather this spring went from cold/wet/windy to hazy/hot/humid overnight. Have a good trip!

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That would be fine for people who live on the east coast.

How about one in Chicago for the MidWest, and one in California for the west coast...

I''d have to travel a bit to get to chicago (4 hour drive assuming no problems getting through Milwaukee) - but would be willing.

Perry

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Three items:

1) We've had a suggestion to make lunch later, that I don't read as urgent, but an idea, and I'm flexible. I think it can start anywhere from 12 - 2. Keeping it at noon allows us still 2 hours before if you want, and since I'm sneaking away from my family to do this, the original idea of 1/2 day of 11 - 3 (with the show running from 10 - 6, for each us being able to really participate as we want) is still my preference, however mild. PM me if you'd prefer we start lunch later, ostensibly the place I have in mind will take what looks like a reservation, let me know if you have a preferred time for that, and I'll let you know what I hear. We'll get there.

2) Re your thoughts, Perry:

Date: 6/16/2005 6:22:32 AM
Author: perry
That would be fine for people who live on the east coast.

How about one in Chicago for the MidWest, and one in California for the west coast...

I'd have to travel a bit to get to chicago (4 hour drive assuming no problems getting through Milwaukee) - but would be willing.

Perry
I see this show is "sort of" in Chicago 8/26 - 8/28, and 12/9 - 12/11. Afraid that's all the help I can provide, but have fun going forth.

3) Sorry in advance...this note was preceded by an inquiry to everyone under Rocky Talk, to see if you've had experience going to one of these, and very few responded. We may just come away saying: "What a bunch of junk," in which case, we may conclude Bill Scherlag's idea (meeting each other at a GIA member meeting) is much more civilized. So we'll see.

Best,

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2005 9:15:52 AM
Author: Regular Guy

Sorry in advance...this note was preceded by an inquiry to everyone under Rocky Talk, to see if you''ve had experience going to one of these, and very few responded. We may just come away saying: ''What a bunch of junk,'' in which case, we may conclude Bill Scherlag''s idea (meeting each other at a GIA member meeting) is much more civilized. So we''ll see.

I must have missed that inquiry, but I''ll say here that I love these shows. I go to several in the DC metro area throughout the year, and the majority of jewelry I have purchased in the last 15 years has come from them. This is not to say that there is no junk because there is. And you definitely need to educate yourself before just diving in and buying. There are about a dozen vendors that I know well, and they know me, and would not hesitate to business with them (I cannot say that about all the vendors though). I have brought them a ton of business over the years, and my hobby is helping my friends make wise purchases.

I''ve been thinking about checking out the GIA Alumni Assoc. meetings in Northern VA. I''ve heard they are great. I''m looking forward to the get-together wherever it may be.
1.gif

DiamondLil

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2005 12:46:32 PM
Author: diamondlil

There are about a dozen vendors that I know well, and they know me, and would not hesitate to business with them (I cannot say that about all the vendors though). I have brought them a ton of business over the years, and my hobby is helping my friends make wise purchases.
Nadine,

I''m guessing you''ll more recognize these more on sight, but do you also know them otherwise to recommend any in advance?

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Allright this is sort of OT but...I haent been to DC much since I lived there and I honestly have no clue where to stay. I am hoping that I will be able to go even though this falls during my school year. I wont knwo beh until classes start when I will be working the labs...but I still want to come. So advice on where to stay? I normally stay in the furit loop but I am open to whereve and wondering what resonably nice places pople are fimalir with. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results