shape
carat
color
clarity

Who is your favorite vendor?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luckynumber

Brilliant_Rock
And what makes them so great?

9.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For stones, my favorite would have to be Gene of precisiongem.com. He buys his own rough, his web photos are true to life (and descriptions are always dead on), he's really patient and nice about answering questions. His prices are very fair and competitive. And most importantly, his cuts are amazing, and I think quite unique. He comes up with his own innovative designs, and the results are dazzling! (He also loves puppies, which doesn't hurt either, lol)

For settings, my favorite is Sally at Hearts Of Water on Etsy. I love that it's all hand made, and her designs are so delicate but meticulously crafted. And she is happy and willing to work on various custom designs. Her prices are great, and she's one of the most honest vendors I've ever dealt with.

I hope to be doing more business with the both of them in years to come!
(My avatar is actually a Gene gem set by Sally, hehe)

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Hmm I have to say, I have a LOT of respect and appreciation for all the awesome cutters I''ve bought from (and the cutters whose work I''ve seen on PS). I''m really happy with all of my stones - from Barry, Jeff, Richard, Gary, and Dan.

But of all of those, my favorite is Barry - he''s awesome to work with, his cutting is fantastic (though all of the others are great as well) and he has a great range of stones and rough. Plus he''s a hilarious guy - his e-mails crack me up! But overall, his cutting style really appeals to me - those chunky cushions and supernova ovals of his - yum!
30.gif

As far as settings, I have to say that over the last few months I''ve gotten more and more fond of my local jeweler, Windy City - they''ve superbly set most of my rings and I''m doing some custom stuff with them in the next few months too.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve only actually worked with 2 vendors, but I''ve talked to A LOT of them, and they''ve all been wonderfully helpful! They take the time to explain things and answer questions. At some point, I hope to be able to get something from each of them.

Dana at Master Cut Gems is who I got my spinel from, and he''s currently looking for stones for a 3 stone ring for me (which, btw, sounds like might be soon!). He''s also got a good sense of humor and will tell you the story behind your stone, and that''s interesting to hear. Just a super nice guy.

Sally at Heart of Water Jewels is working on the setting for my spinel, and she''s been wonderful as well. Easy to work with and understanding that not only do I have no clue what I''m doing, I''m nervous about doing something custom, and she''s good about holding my hand!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love Barry. I think a vast majority of my stones have come from him, and now I have a piece of jewelry he put together too. He''s just a really nice guy who always tries to find what you''re looking for. Plus his cutting style is tops because I LURVE those chunky facets.

But I''ve had a lot of experience with several vendors, Dan, John B, Gene, who I have bought something from, and then the multiple cutters I contacted about an ering stone, but haven''t worked with yet--Jeff White, etc. All of them are absolutely lovely to talk to and so very helpful.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have about 11ty favourites - all for different reasons.
3.gif

My absolute favourite gemstones (asschers) come from Gene from Precision Gems (Grossular) and Gary of Finewater Gems (Aqua, Afghan Tourmaline, Cinnamon tourmaline). Both of them are amazing to chat with, and I really find them incredbly knowledgeable. I also love all of my Barry stones, and Barry and I have had great conversations in the past, as well.

Peter Torraca is also incredibly nice, as is Jeff White. I think all of our cutters have fantastic customer service, and when one of them sends you a stone to evaluate without charging you, I''m just amazed that they''ll go to those lengths because they''re so sure you''ll love the stone. To be fair, that works about 60% of the time for me.
9.gif

luckynumber

Brilliant_Rock
love to hear you big up the cutters, ladies!

I recognize all the names except john b.

Who is he Freke??

Link to website please!

1.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/24/2009 2:13:04 PM
Author: luckynumber
love to hear you big up the cutters, ladies!

I recognize all the names except john b.

Who is he Freke??

Link to website please!

1.gif
Here you go, Luckynumber!

http://gemrite.com/cubecart/

luckynumber

Brilliant_Rock
way-hey one more to the list!

thanks freke!

31.gif

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Brad of The Gem Trader is probably my favourite. He has a lot of unusual and phenomenal stones which really appeal to me. His descriptions are also very accurate and usually have some interesting bits of information.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
BARRY :) this is a great thread to say what I wanted to share for some time:) He is humorous, friendly, straightforward and sincere, although I have not gotten anything from him as yet, but I will, real soon! I did tell him that he is the friendliest among all the cutter I came in touch with.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/28/2009 1:59:25 AM
Author: chictomato
BARRY :) this is a great thread to say what I wanted to share for some time:) He is humorous, friendly, straightforward and sincere, although I have not gotten anything from him as yet, but I will, real soon! I did tell him that he is the friendliest among all the cutter I came in touch with.
I too think Barry is an awesome fellow, and has a great sense of humor to boot. His cutting is great too. He is quick to respond to emails, and is always very honest when it comes to gems. For example, he'll tell me, "oh I don't think you'll like that" if I ask about a stone. I cannot say enough wonderful things about him, and sometimes I'll just email him to talk stones/gemology, which is quite fun.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve worked with a few, of which I have soft spots for. Gary Dutton and diamondexperts.com is where I got my sapphire.

Litnon.com (Gemline) is where I purchased my latest pretty the ginormous peridot

ajs is where I got my extremely lovely mehenge spinel. she''s got a few inclusions which I fell in love with (plus it kept her very cheap!)

I also like bkkgemstones. Trent is very nice to work with. I''ve gotten yet another stone from them.(yes I know, don''t say it)

There''s a few I''ve not purchased from so hesitate to say anything about. But they''re on my do to business with next year.

-A

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know who is currently my least favorite vendor right now...

I also forgot to mention Peter in my post, who is absolutely wonderful and an all around nice guy as well as being an amazing cutter.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Berry is probably my favorite CS vendor. His stones are beautiful, and he is so easy to work with.

For settings, it is Sally from HOW jewels. Her settings are beautiful.

ETA: As much as I love Sally, I thought I should let you know my most recent project got stuck in customs (US customs, not Thailand's). Sally was sending me back the gifts for my sister and partner. They did not make it in time because of that, and I had to go home without them. I hope they are ok.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/28/2009 9:01:35 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker

ETA: As much as I love Sally, I thought I should let you know my most recent project got stuck in customs (US customs, not Thailand''s). Sally was sending me back the gifts for my sister and partner. They did not make it in time because of that, and I had to go home without them. I hope they are ok.

Oh no! Do let us know how that resolves
7.gif

Now I''m worried too! Do you know if this is the first time it has happened?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results