shape
carat
color
clarity

Who is good at gardening?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A couple of months ago I bought some plants at Lowes on the clearance rack that looked worse for wear but we're only $1. I brought them home, picked off all the brown bits and planted them in planters with some good quality potting soil.

Should have taken before pictures because they have really taken off! Here is the problem though, we had freezing temps last night so I brought them in and they are currently in my son's room since the cats aren't allowed in there.

The question is, can I possibly get them to last until Spring and when do they permanently need to be inside? They are pink begonias I believe and although I've planted and maintained plants in the garden, I've never had a plant in a container do well enough that I wanted to see about keeping them going.

Here is a pic, please ignore the hideous carpet color, his room is the only one that still has that awful carpet!

_6212.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, totally bizarre when I saw my picture it was the flowers it when I uploaded it, it's a pic that's not even mine! :-o

_6213.jpeg

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are wax begonias.

You said you had freezing temps last night which tells me you aren't in zone 9 or more. This means this plant is an annual for you. Even in zone 9, we let these die off and start again in the spring.

You have done well to make this plant flourish! You can try to cover it or bring it inside, if you are really determined to keep it alive. You can google "growing wax begonias inside" and there is literature on this.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BAHAHAHAHAHA that's my cat. that was happening to me yesterday, too - I kept getting NKOTB's ear shot!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1477584302|4091180 said:
BAHAHAHAHAHA that's my cat. that was happening to me yesterday, too - I kept getting NKOTB's ear shot!

HA! That is so bizarre, I was like, did someone hack my pictures?!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any chance you can delete my kitty from this thread?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pinto, here isn't an edit option. Is there another way possibly? I would be happy to if someone can tell me how if it's possible.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm guessing the window to edit has timed out. Hopefully if you report concern the moderator can remove it and put in the picture you want.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1477574596|4091113 said:
These are wax begonias.

You said you had freezing temps last night which tells me you aren't in zone 9 or more. This means this plant is an annual for you. Even in zone 9, we let these die off and start again in the spring.

You have done well to make this plant flourish! You can try to cover it or bring it inside, if you are really determined to keep it alive. You can google "growing wax begonias inside" and there is literature on this.

Thanks House Cat! I'm in zone 5 and it is snowing here today I guess I will just keep them going as long as I can and see how it goes but thanks for clarifying what they are, I had no idea.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yo! Looooove begonias! Didn't use to; but they are SO easy to grow and overwinter. You can start MULTIPLE new plants from that one!

I grew a ton of these from cuttings last winter. I'm sure I have a thousand pics somewhere but who cares, you don't need pics to make this happen.

Set your begonia in a sunny south-facing window if you have one. If not, try for west-facing at least. Anywhere it will get at least partial daylight for several hours a day, and as close to a window as possible. You can even put it under a regular old lamp.

If you'd like to grow more begonias for next Spring, just snip off a few stems and put them in a glass of water in a windowsill. They will start to grow roots in a few weeks. Change the water once a month or so. When the roots get about an inch in length, stick them in a nice potting mix, not too wet (begonias don't need a ton of water) and voila! You'll have however many new plants you want.

I love gardening! I write a blog about it, am a Master Gardener, and am on the board as the Journalist here in my county for my MG Association. I could go on and on. But google is your BFF, too. Have fun!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1477600264|4091302 said:
I love gardening! I write a blog about it, am a Master Gardener, and am on the board as the Journalist here in my county for my MG Association. I could go on and on. But google is your BFF, too. Have fun!

This is good to know. I have a beautiful hanging fuschia that I was wondering if I could keep it over winter. I am in zone 6 but we have not had a freeze or any snow yet.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1477601414|4091312 said:

This is good to know. I have a beautiful hanging fuschia that I was wondering if I could keep it over winter. I am in zone 6 but we have not had a freeze or any snow yet.

If you're into gardening at all, I highly encourage you to look into your local extension's program! It's so fun to learn and the program is primarily about volunteering in your community/county.

This is not my website, but a super helpful piece on overwintering fuschias. (I'm also in zone 6! Haaaaa-yyyy!) http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/fuchsia/fuchsia-winter-care.htm

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1477602729|4091322 said:
redwood66|1477601414|4091312 said:

If you're into gardening at all, I highly encourage you to look into your local extension's program! It's so fun to learn and the program is primarily about volunteering in your community/county.

This is not my website, but a super helpful piece on overwintering fuschias. (I'm also in zone 6! Haaaaa-yyyy!) http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/fuchsia/fuchsia-winter-care.htm

Oh great thank you! I guess I can put it in my crawlspace under the house because my attached garage gets as cold as outside. I hope I don't forget it under there! :shock:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yo! Looooove begonias! Didn't use to; but they are SO easy to grow and overwinter. You can start MULTIPLE new plants from that one!

I grew a ton of these from cuttings last winter. I'm sure I have a thousand pics somewhere but who cares, you don't need pics to make this happen.

Set your begonia in a sunny south-facing window if you have one. If not, try for west-facing at least. Anywhere it will get at least partial daylight for several hours a day, and as close to a window as possible. You can even put it under a regular old lamp.

If you'd like to grow more begonias for next Spring, just snip off a few stems and put them in a glass of water in a windowsill. They will start to grow roots in a few weeks. Change the water once a month or so. When the roots get about an inch in length, stick them in a nice potting mix, not too wet (begonias don't need a ton of water) and voila! You'll have however many new plants you want.

Thank you for all of this Monarch! I do have a bow window that I could put them in that faces west, so that would work but I'm not sure if the cats would eat them. I have one cat that will bite into a new bag of food if I leave it out. He is fat and a savage but I digress.

One question, the planters I have them in are solid but not super suitable for indoors. Am I running a huge risk if I transplant into something smaller that they might not make it? I really want to keep them going so whatever I can do to increase the chances, I'm game

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They'll be fine. In my experience, they are pretty hardy--heck, I've accidentally dumped one out and weeks later found it thriving behind one of the bushes on the side of my house. I don't think they'll be bothered by your intentional transplant.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results