shape
carat
color
clarity

Who engraves IDs on their diamonds (WF, JA, BN?)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pixelbender

Rough_Rock
Is is true that both WF and BN engrave the girdles of their diamonds? What about James Allen and others? Does this affect value? What are everyone''s opinions...

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2007 3:17:14 PM
Author:pixelbender

Is is true that both WF and BN engrave the girdles of their diamonds? What about James Allen and others? Does this affect value? What are everyone's opinions...

In many cases we do. It does not influence the value or impact clarity below flawless. An inscription is often meant to help ID the diamond and indicate it as a branded product if applicable.

Lab inscriptions are dictated by whoever sends the diamond to the lab; the lab is merely inscribing what they have been asked to. It’s important for shoppers to know that an inscription is not an indication of quality.Someone could request “3 carat D Flawless” inscribed on their diamond, but that doesn’t make it one.

The report number is frequently requested.We have our ‘A Cut Above’ diamonds inscribed with the report number and ACA logo_Other cutters of branded diamonds do this for their brands too.

There are some cases where a lab inscription is mandatory:Diamonds accompanied by reports which don’t show a plot (the
GIA Diamond Dossier is an example) are automatically inscribed with the report number for ID purposes.

chiefneil

Shiny_Rock
Good Old Gold will engrave for free. I had them put the AGS report number, and they also added "UDIS" (ultimate diamond information site, which I figured out after the fact) and "H&A".

The vendor page on pricescope has an icon for vendors that do engraving.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
keep in mind that any inscriptions added after the report was issued makes the grading report no longer up to date. labs will list any inscriptions that are present during grading.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2007 6:07:46 PM
Author: belle
keep in mind that any inscriptions added after the report was issued makes the grading report no longer up to date. labs will list any inscriptions that are present during grading.

Belle, why would this be a concern to someone? If someone had, for an example, a 1 carat plus diamond with a report from GIA, and had the option to add an ID on the girdle...I think while perhaps not a no brainer...given the choice, I''d take it. I think it could only add options for security not otherwise there.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results