carat
color
clarity

who controls the money you or your SO?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
pennquaker09|1326238695|3099906 said:
He makes it, and I make sure it goes where it needs to.
Ditto

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Right now, with the exception of utility bills, I pay all our monthy expenses out of my paycheck/checking account. DH pays the utility bills out of his account and we're banking the rest of his salary into his account...that's our savings...but the understand is the money in both accounts is OURS.

When we got married, we realized that we were going to be getting married in a year and didn't want to bother with combining/opening new accounts/changing financial institutions if we were just going to have to do it all again in a year (as we intend on banking with a local credit union in our new city).

But once we move, we intend to have joint checking and savings, as well as each having a personal checking account into which we'll each put a portion of our paychecks every two weeks. It's totally up to the individual how to spend that money, no questions asked by the other party. So if I want to spend all of it on a piece of jewelry...fine. I just have to save up for it. If he wants to do something with the car...fine. Large joint purchases will come out of the joint account, though.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Neither one of us "controls" it, but DH does handle the bills. We fortunately agree 99% of the time on how to spend our money, and I am aware of how much we have coming in and going out- but I do think I should be more involved. For example last night I realized I'm not sure what the interest rate on our credit cards are, it's not particularly relevant since we don't carry a balance but I still feel it's something I should know!

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I've been unemployed for soooooooooooooooooo long I've forgotten what money looks like. I long ago closed my individual checking account and transferred my savngs into a bathroom repair needed at the time. So the husband takes care of everything. Part of me likes it this way and part of me feels like Lucy Ricardo.

Don't get me wrong. The man has NEVER said "What did you spend on/what did you buy, how much did you spend?" I just feel so damn guilty that I have't contributed to the family's finances.....

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband pays the bills but we both control where our money goes.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1326294765|3100300 said:
He pretty much takes care of paying the bills but I wouldnt say that he "controls" the money in the house. I buy what I want to
buy and vice versa unless its a costly item. Costly items get discussed. We are both pretty frugal/cheap so we never seem to
have money "issues".

Why? Mrs.DF wont give you any money for new koi? :cheeky:
very funny!!... :Up_to_something:

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Both. We have common sense, so large purchases are discussed before hand. Other than that... we both have jobs and are adults, and we both have similar spending habits so we get along just fine.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results