shape
carat
color
clarity

Who can make this setting?

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
After looking for months for my new engagement ring, I finally found something that makes my heart sing. Some of the members here had suggested that I look at a bezel setting and I finally had the chance to go to Tiffany in NYC and this style is perfect for me.

Unfortunately the Tiffany bezet is way above my price range. Does anyone else make this setting. Is there anyone you'd suggest to make this custom for me?

I specifically like how this one is a basket that the diamond nestles into. Other bezel styles look more like a pancake or flying saucer floating on top of the prong head. I also like how thick / hefty the band is.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Bijouteried

Shiny_Rock
I think I've seen that type of solitaire on Blue Nile, Brian Gavin Diamonds, and Adiamor....it's very pretty and I've even read that it makes diamonds face-up larger. :dance:

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, Gypsy. I emailed SK and BE for a quote. Does BGD custom make settings as well?

And out of those three, which one has the best craftsmanship? I'd want to make sure they'll accept my involvement in the design. I want to make sure the basket tapers down and the band has the same look.

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
I guess a better question is:

I know SK settings are bench made while BE's are CAD cast. In the case of this particular setting, is there an advantage of paying more to go with bench made, or is CAD cast perfectly fine?

Thank you!

I'll be asking for input on the stone choices on a separate post shortly.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
omd21|1454350365|3985186 said:
In the case of this particular setting, is there an advantage of paying more to go with bench made, or is CAD cast perfectly fine?

This setting is perfectly fine as a cast setting. It would, or should, actually be less expensive as a forged piece since forging this shape is faster than going through the whole casting routine. I used to make these heads for a guy who preferred these as forged pieces due to the lower cost and I could make about 4 an hour depending on size. Sounded artsy and he'd get a 5 or 6 times margin out of them while I'd just laugh at how silly that was. Here's the sequence: Take a piece of flat bar, roll it into an appropriately sized tube, weld the joint, place it in a tapered bezel block and press it down hard. Then take a matching tapered bezel punch and give it a hard whack. BANG, the whole thing is forged into the proper shape and ready to trim and make cut outs for the gallery, (the cutouts being the most time consuming part). I love the whacking the thing with the hammer part...must be a guy thing. :Up_to_something:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cast is perfectly fine for a bezel.

BGD makes gorgeous custom settings. I've worked with them for 3 custom projects happily.

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
Michael_E|1454631613|3986945 said:
omd21|1454350365|3985186 said:
In the case of this particular setting, is there an advantage of paying more to go with bench made, or is CAD cast perfectly fine?

(the cutouts being the most time consuming part). I love the whacking the thing with the hammer part...must be a guy thing. :Up_to_something:

Thank you for explaining the process. It's fascinating and I got a good laugh out of the whacking part :bigsmile:

SylviaF

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1454644646|3987031 said:
Cast is perfectly fine for a bezel.

BGD makes gorgeous custom settings. I've worked with them for 3 custom projects happily.

Thank you, Gypsy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results