shape
carat
color
clarity

Who buys old European cut diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lrbatie

Rough_Rock
Hi,

First time posting here, but I''ve seen some knowledgeable responses to some of the postings and thought I''d give it a try.

My sisters and I inherited a few nice pieces of jewelry from my grandmother, including about 10 old European cut diamonds. I plan to keep mine, but my younger sister needs to sell hers. We''ve had them appraised, but only in their settings, as: one at .85-95 carats, VS/G-I; one at .33 carats, SI/G-H; one at .33 SI/J-K; one at .16-.18 carats, SI/G-H. Also one at .2, round/brilliant cut, SI/GH.

My sister was very disappointed at the quotes she got from estate jewelry stores. The most she was offered for ALL of the diamonds was $400!! From the appraisal, retail value was approximated at about $13K, so she thought she''d ask for $6000, and be lucky to get $4500. She was told by several proprietors that no one wants European cut diamonds, and that they would re-cut them before they offered them for sale (and thus reduce their size by half). She was told to go to "a dealer" if she wanted a better quote.

Any thoughts on this? I thought that sellers of estate jewelry would be interested in old-cut diamonds. If not, where does one find a dealer?

Thanks for any advice on this.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Contact Dave Atlas, Oldminer on this site. He specializes in old cuts and could steer you in the right direction.

lrbatie

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I've been perusing and came across his name. I'll get in touch.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results