shape
carat
color
clarity

Whiter stone

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So the ring is gorgeous but unfortunately, I can’t take the tint. I want a brighter stone and have to go up from a J. The rose gold setting which I love and will stick with isn’t helping the warmth, either. Can a kind PSer help me choose a white and fiery stone based on the specs out of this bunch? I’d like not to go down in size too much. I will ask WF to compare them tomorrow.

Thank you!

@diamondseeker2006
@MissGotRocks

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Also tagging @mrs-b if she doesn’t mind because I know she knows a little something about tint!

sparlie

Shiny_Rock
I am just curious, does it look different in real life to you than in your photos? It looked so white to me, so it could be that I am not color sensitive. I am sure you will end up with a magnificent ring!

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am just curious, does it look different in real life to you than in your photos? It looked so white to me, so it could be that I am not color sensitive. I am sure you will end up with a magnificent ring!

Thank you! It looks like that outdoors but it’s indoors in certain lighting conditions that it starts doing it’s thing. I think it would look whiter in a platinum setting and since I want to stick with rose gold, I’m afraid I might have to bump up color to notice more brightness.

I’m grateful for good eyesight but this is no bueno for my wallet!

Last edited:

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! It looks like that outdoors but it’s indoors in certain lighting conditions that it starts doing it’s thing. I think it would look whiter in a platinum setting and since I want to stick with rose gold, I’m afraid I might have to bump up in color to notice more brightness.

I’m grateful for good eye sight but this is no bueno for my wallet!

Is it possible that the stone is just reflecting whatever surrounding it is inside the house?(walls...etc?)

But I hear where you coming from. I had a gorgeous stone that was to die for. Except that it was an I color. I could not take it. Then I got a G color but then I wanted a bigger stone. So I went for an H. It has not arrived yet but I am dreading it already. Now, with the size I went for, if I wanted a G, it would be an additional $3,200 and I am not sure if it is worth it. :confused:

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is it possible that the stone is just reflecting whatever surrounding it is inside the house?(walls...etc?)

But I hear where you coming from. I had a gorgeous stone that was to die for. Except that it was an I color. I could not take it. Then I got a G color but then I wanted a bigger stone. So I went for an H. It has not arrived yet but I am dreading it already. Now, with the size I went for, if I wanted a G, it would be an additional $3,200 and I am not sure if it is worth it. :confused:
It could absolutely be my house but my yellow bulbs are cozy for living. I can’t turn my home into a show room!

I’m not sure a higher color will face up much brighter in a rose gold setting, either. Maybe I am losing my marbles!

May I see the stone you chose? I’m sure it will be beautiful.

Reactions: AV_

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will your new setting accommodate such a smaller stone? Did you have an I for a while and liked it (sorry I forgot)? I’m inclined to suggest the 2.825 I SI1 (but it says reserved) so you don’t have to sacrifice too much size at this time, but my second choice would be the 2.432 H VS2. Ideally, I’d want to wait for something in the 2.6-ish range maybe H SI1 (looks like they have one but probably isn’t eye clean to your standard).

I also like these 2 I colored stones....I’d ask them to compare.

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Awww I’m sorry it didn’t work out for you. Hope you find one that you adore.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with AC117. The I color would make more sense since you wouldn’t be losing so much size but not sure dropping only one color grade will get you where you want to be. The H 2.43 would give you good size and a whiter stone. However, if the lights in your house are the culprit I am not sure that will do it either. I think that the yellow in the lights might be magnified in whatever yellow tone is in the diamond. The rose gold might be a hinderance too. Perhaps a G color stone is in order for you as less yellow in the diamond might fare better in your lighting. That of course means sacrificing more size or upping the budget. The good news is that you have petite hands and a smaller stone will still look large on your hand. Talk to the folks at WF about your dilemma - they could always have other stones coming down the pike. I would hate to recommend a stone for you only to not have it solve the color problem.

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your input, ladies. The person who reserved the 2.8 I SI1 is me. If you look at the cert, it’s new inventory. :)

@MissGotRocks the 2.5 G is not eye clean enough. I’ve already inquired about it as well as the larger H stones. @ac117 My wonderful rep said the 2.6 I SI1 isn’t that much whiter than my J so I’ve asked her to compare the 2.8 I SI1 to see if it’s whiter. Does the video look super tinted to you? I had a gorgeous 2.3 I SI1 and it was fine at the time but it WAS warmer than my GIA H especially in rose gold.

Last edited:

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Will your new setting accommodate such a smaller stone? Did you have an I for a while and liked it (sorry I forgot)? I’m inclined to suggest the 2.825 I SI1 (but it says reserved) so you don’t have to sacrifice too much size at this time, but my second choice would be the 2.432 H VS2. Ideally, I’d want to wait for something in the 2.6-ish range maybe H SI1 (looks like they have one but probably isn’t eye clean to your standard).

I also like these 2 I colored stones....I’d ask them to compare.

I have the WF elegant solitaire setting so yes, it can accommodate any 2-3 carat mrb.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an I and would not dream of a rose gold or even yellow setting for it—and believe me, I have tried every setting! Lol

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
I have an I and would not dream of a rose gold or even yellow setting for it—and believe me, I have tried every setting! Lol

Is this because of the tint?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your input, ladies. The person who reserved the 2.8 I SI1 is me. If you look at the cert, it’s new inventory. :)

@MissGotRocks the 2.5 G is not eye clean enough. I’ve already inquired about it as well as the larger H stones. @ac117 My wonderful rep said the 2.6 I SI1 isn’t that much whiter than my J so I’ve asked her to compare the 2.8 I SI1 to see if it’s whiter. Does the video look super tinted to you? I had a gorgeous 2.3 I SI1 and it was fine at the time but it WAS warmer than my GIA H especially in rose gold.

No, the 2.8 does not look super tinted but until they can compare it to other I's or possibly H's, you can't know for sure. I think you are at the crossroad of having to decide if size or whiteness is the most important to you. I know you are trying to maximize both but I am just not sure if one color grade difference will give you exactly what you want. A tough call for sure!

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No, the 2.8 does not look super tinted but until they can compare it to other I's or possibly H's, you can't know for sure. I think you are at the crossroad of having to decide if size or whiteness is the most important to you. I know you are trying to maximize both but I am just not sure if one color grade difference will give you exactly what you want. A tough call for sure!

I’ll wait for Whiteflash’s comparison tomorrow. Thanks for taking a look at it, MGR!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ll wait for Whiteflash’s comparison tomorrow. Thanks for taking a look at it, MGR!

Good luck - keep us posted! Your ring is beautiful and I am sorry it didn't tick all the boxes for you. Hang in there - you'll land on something!

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I love (love!) your stone and your setting, but you have to love it since you’re the wearer. I wonder tho if it were in a wg or plat setting would the tint still bother you? Of course only you can answer that question and I know you’re partial to rg.
GL! I’m sure your next stone will also be amazing.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I have struggled with color on my AVR, too, and it's an I. It looks totally white face up most of the time, but it shows tint especially in my car. One time I ordered two small AVRs to consider for studs, and one was I and one was J. I could easily see the tint in the J face up compared to the I. So I sent them back. Honestly, for a mrb, I'd want a G (or F if money was no object). My ACA studs are H. If you go to I color, I guess you could always upgrade color again later. But I think you need a high I to even consider it, and WF can help by comparing the I with a J.

I advise you to go with a larger table, at least 56+. The larger tables tend to make the stones brighter. I think people have emphasized higher crown angles and smaller tables too much, and while fire is nice, that is not the lighting we are in most of the time. Any well cut stone is going to have fire out in the sunshine! But indoors, we want our diamonds to look bright, white, and sparkly!

So bottom line, see what they say on the color of the 2.8 I, and maybe compare it with the largest H. I don't think the color of your shank matters. It shouldn't affect the color of the stone since the head is platinum or white gold.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @TweetyBird23 :))

Well, you know I HEAR YOU re tint! Bane of my life! I love a very warm stone, and I love a very white stone. But those tinted 'almost colorless' stones? No. Mine was an I and I went back and forth on it right up until a dr's appt, when the doctor said to me at the end of our appt - "Is that a yellow diamond?" Granted, we were in a beige colored room, and - granted - it had a yellow gold halo. But the head was platinum, I was sitting right next to a window, and "Is that a yellow diamond?" was all it took to push me over the edge.

Before my I, I had an H - and it was MUCH whiter. But I wasn't taking any chances, so I went straight to an F. But be prepared to see a healthy budget positively evaporate if you go that route.

So all that to say, I wouldn't try an I. They're just not different enough. An H, on the other hand, is a different proposition altogether, and if I could have gotten my H back, I would have.

Is there any rush on this? If there isn't, I'd delay gratification and try to get the funds together to get an H of the sort of size you're looking for. Because, let's face it, in the meantime your current diamond is gorgeous!

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I have struggled with color on my AVR, too, and it's an I. It looks totally white face up most of the time, but it shows tint especially in my car. One time I ordered two small AVRs to consider for studs, and one was I and one was J. I could easily see the tint in the J face up compared to the I. So I sent them back. Honestly, for a mrb, I'd want a G (or F if money was no object). My ACA studs are H. If you go to I color, I guess you could always upgrade color again later. But I think you need a high I to even consider it, and WF can help by comparing the I with a J.

I advise you to go with a larger table, at least 56+. The larger tables tend to make the stones brighter. I think people have emphasized higher crown angles and smaller tables too much, and while fire is nice, that is not the lighting we are in most of the time. Any well cut stone is going to have fire out in the sunshine! But indoors, we want our diamonds to look bright, white, and sparkly!

So bottom line, see what they say on the color of the 2.8 I, and maybe compare it with the largest H. I don't think the color of your shank matters. It shouldn't affect the color of the stone since the head is platinum or white gold.

I could not say this better myself. I believe that a higher crown and smaller table are over-emphasized. If you have both crown and pavilion angles aligned, you WILL get that gorgeous fire regardless (as long as we are talking about super ideal cuts.) I went for an H and purposely chose a bigger table (56.7) - to get the brighter color that one can find in G or even F. Btw, it also outperformed 55.7 table stone (both super ideal cuts.)

If OP goes for H or I, a larger table is recommended. It works!

Last edited:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry you are not happy, it is so disappointing when we are waiting with such anticipation. If you are going to make the change, I think you need to go to H. And I think it is a great suggestion from @daisygrl to go for a larger table. I prefer the small table, high crown "look" with regard to the profile, but I do agree that the larger table will give you a boost on added brightness.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I just looked back at your other thread. The ring is GORGEOUS. And while I feel I can see a little warmth in the glamour shots, the actual RL photos you took the stone does not show tint. Do you think you should give it a little time? What diamond did you have before this one?... what is the stone in your avatar? Was your mounting made for the specs for that particular stone? It is really, really pretty.

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for the helpful suggestions and kind words, everyone. The stone shows zero tint face up outdoors. It is a crisp ball of mirrors and picks up the colors in its environment as is evident with my blue phone case:

9D546D8B-5424-4768-9B44-2160C420B01E.jpeg

More pics without the blue case - no filters - just a silver phone.

9B1FC3F6-D5B3-4054-A7FD-B5259C25277B.jpeg BF633881-F3AF-491E-8778-833F44D85BCF.jpeg 6C6BB21D-51AA-4981-80F5-3E8C163B823D.jpeg

I stopped taking pictures when I lost the ring for ten minutes and frantically scoured through this until I realized I left it on the OTHER tree stump. Omg.

DC31AF7E-F061-44C0-AE62-1D11B35D38C7.jpeg

All my tint issues occur indoors especially in the bathroom. It might be worth installing a show room bulb in the bathroom after all.

@mrs-b There is no rush to upgrade although a clean 2.6 H SI1 would be amazing! Another thing to consider is that it remains to be seen whether Texas will follow suite with the shelter-in-place ordinance and force WF to close indefinitely.

@headlight I’ve had G-K e-ring stones. My recent one was the 2.9 K VS2 ACA in my avatar. The current rose gold and platinum setting was semi-custom made for the new 2.88 J SI1.

It is a beautiful stone! I think it feels a bit slighted and is thinking, “Excuse me but I am a whiter ACA than your previous stone. It’s not my fault you decided to set me in rose gold.”

Last edited:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Why did you change diamonds?... to go up in color?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
P.S. I so glad you found the ring! That sounds exactly like something I would've done!

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Why did you change diamonds?... to go up in color?

Yep! Everything else about the K was glorious! And I changed from white to rose gold so I could match my rg wedding band.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results