shape
carat
color
clarity

Whitehall Jewelers - OK?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jhgallagher

Rough_Rock
Like some others on this forum, I prefer to buy my engagement ring from a person. I am a total novice at this. I want a high-quality diamond and overall ring, but there''s no need to kill myself to get the ABSOLUTE best. My goal is a platinum ring with a single 3/4 carat diamond (color of G-I and clarity at least SI1-2) and two side sapphires (each about 1/2 the size of the diamond.) I had a very good retail experience the other day at Whitehall Jewelers at a mall nearby (Philly suburbs) - pleasant, helpful salesperson, etc. She took the time to understand what I want. She is getting an estimate for the ring I want. The diamonds are EGL certified. Should I feel comfortable buying from this place? I am more concerned with getting what I want than the actual price. In other words, I will pay a little more if necessary to ensure that I''m not getting low-quality merchandise.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2005 11:38:28 PM
Author:jhgallagher
Like some others on this forum, I prefer to buy my engagement ring from a person. I am a total novice at this. I want a high-quality diamond and overall ring, but there''s no need to kill myself to get the ABSOLUTE best. My goal is a platinum ring with a single 3/4 carat diamond (color of G-I and clarity at least SI1-2) and two side sapphires (each about 1/2 the size of the diamond.) I had a very good retail experience the other day at Whitehall Jewelers at a mall nearby (Philly suburbs) - pleasant, helpful salesperson, etc. She took the time to understand what I want. She is getting an estimate for the ring I want. The diamonds are EGL certified. Should I feel comfortable buying from this place? I am more concerned with getting what I want than the actual price. In other words, I will pay a little more if necessary to ensure that I''m not getting low-quality merchandise.
the only way to really guarantee that you are getting what they--the salespeople --are telling you is to take the stone to an independant appraiser such as Dave Atlas down right where you are for INDEPENDANT confirmation. PRICE does not guarantee or imply quality with diamonds...

Krusty Burger

Rough_Rock
I also saw a beautiful ring at my local Whitehall dealer. The ring I saw had a price tag of $10k. You would think for that kind of $$, the quality should be good. But I''m no expert.

I would be interested to see what others have to say about local Mall retailers (Kay, Belden''s, Etc)

jhgallagher

Rough_Rock
I guess I wasn't perfectly clear at first - my main concern with this retailer is that I get (in terms of diamond quality) what they say I'm getting. If they tell me it's a G/SI1/0.75 ct. diamond, or whatever, can I have a good amount of confidence that it truly is, or should I go to an independent person? Or even if they say it's a piece of garbage, can I feel confident? I'm also curious about the quality of the setting in the same regard.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
If the certs are egl usa you should be ok there as long as the diamond has a good cut.
You need a good appraisal done anyway for your insurance company a visit to Dave at aga would be a smart move.
You can read about Dave and his company here:
https://www.pricescope.com/diamonds/x10076.htm

You might even want to contact him before hand and see what his opinion is of the jewler your considering.

jhgallagher

Rough_Rock
To all,
Thanks for the guidance. My strategy is a little clearer now. A question to crankydave: are you saying that EGL USA certification, by its very nature, should give me peace of mind in the rock I''m buying?

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
I know nothing about Whitehall jewlers or any other Mall jewelers, but I can say that I have heard great things about Feldman Jewelers in Emmaus. I was in there twice and have been considering them to do some custom work for me. They made the Mrs. Pa crown!!!!! They do have a website, I believe it is
www.feldmanjewelers.com.
Best of luck

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
i commented earlier.............no matter what the reputation i would suggest an appraiser. I purchased a large stone several years ago from a very high end old money establishment with a gia and an hrd cert --as well as an "appraisal" to verify the certs only ( what was i thinking?). the stone did in fact match the certs but was an extremely deep, low performing stone that i paid a ridiculous amount for. the store in question is not necessarily doing anything wroing to sell you a mediocre stone that matches it cert. the only way you will know for sure is to have an appraiser check it for overall performance

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the point is that the stone may match the information on the EGL cert but that doesn''t mean that the stone is good, well cut or ideal cut. It could also be poorly cut, thus an independent appraiser is always a good thing.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2005 9:23:38 AM
Author: jhgallagher
I guess I wasn''t perfectly clear at first - my main concern with this retailer is that I get (in terms of diamond quality) what they say I''m getting. If they tell me it''s a G/SI1/0.75 ct. diamond, or whatever, can I have a good amount of confidence that it truly is, or should I go to an independent person
Gallagher, I''m confused.....I''m not clear where the communication breakdown is. Several folks have answered you, and nearly all have said the same thing.

The retailer sells you the stone as they bought it. If they bought a diamond with a grading report that says it''s a G, SI1, that''s how they''ll sell it to you. What I''m trying to say to you is this: the retailer didn''t grade the stone themselves. The grading lab did that, and the retailer is selling you the stone with the results from that grading lab.

The way to verify that you are getting what you think you are is to have an independent appraiser evaluate your stone. By definition, an independent appraiser works for YOU and has no vested interest in the outcome. They give you their professional assessment of the stone.

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/11/2005 9:23:38 AM
Author: jhgallagher
I guess I wasn't perfectly clear at first - my main concern with this retailer is that I get (in terms of diamond quality) what they say I'm getting. If they tell me it's a G/SI1/0.75 ct. diamond, or whatever, can I have a good amount of confidence that it truly is, or should I go to an independent person? Or even if they say it's a piece of garbage, can I feel confident? I'm also curious about the quality of the setting in the same regard.

With a cert you can be pretty confident that if it is sold as G/SI1/0.75ct - that it will be so. However, the quality issue is really with the cut. With a big chain store like Whitehall it is unlikely to be a great cut quality (sparkle factor) and/or you are probably going to pay more than a fair price. All of this is my guess and probably my prejudice against stores like this.

As others stated - make your purchase contingent on using an independent appraiser like Dave Atlas. He will tell you the facts on your diamond (quality/price) before you make the final purchase.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/11/2005 11
6.gif
2:40 AM
Author: Bertrand

With a cert you can be pretty confident that if it is sold as G/SI1/0.75ct - that it will be so.
I disagree.

Not all labs grade to the same standards and not all labs are especially consistent in their grading. Differing opinions on clarity and color grading are common and sometimes significant.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
J.H., you should probably read the tutorial at the top of this page (under "knowledge").

The main thing you need to know is that the way a diamond is cut has a huge influence on how pretty it is. If it''s well cut, it will sparkle like mad and look big. If it''s badly cut, it will look flat and dull and much smaller than a well cut stone of the same carat weight.

You can buy a .75 carat G SI1 that''s gorgeous, or one that looks like a .5 carat lifeless piece of glass. They''re both .75 carat G SI1s. The cut makes all the difference.

An independent appraiser can tell you whether the stone you buy really is a .75 G SI1. At least as important, he or she can also tell you how good the cut is--information that the store is unlikely to give you.

jhgallagher

Rough_Rock
Thanks to all for the further info. Dewey - perhaps I can clarify by saying that I didn''t know (or wasn;t thinking) that the shop was selling the rock as it bought it, with the cert as given.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s a mall jeweler. Im 99% sure it''s not of great quality.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I have to agree that these stores don''t always have the best cut stones. I''ve gone in to Whitehall looking at wedding bands (I knew from the start I''d be purchasing mine from WF but I just wanted to try different styles), and I have to say that my princess cut diamond blew away their rounds. In fact, two people in the store came up to me telling me how spectacular my stone was and asked where it had been purchased. The saleswoman even asked if she could take a better look at my stone, then handed it back saying how amazing it was. I know that they want to flatter you and make you feel good in those stores, but my stone seriously performed better than the ones they had there (and I''m not talking about the display CZ''s). My guess is you''re going to pay just as much for poor quality stones there as you would for great quality stones through one of the PS vendors. Talk to Bob at White Flash, Wink, or someone else who knows both diamonds and sapphires and I''m sure you''ll get what you''re looking for.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
as you may (or may not
emdgust.gif
) have gathered from all of this information....the cut is the most important factor in bringing out the best in a diamond. there will be a huge difference between a well cut diamond, and one that is average. what you should be looking for is confirmation that you are getting a well cut diamond for your $$$$........

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Why not have Dave suggest a local retailer?

Also, I''m still not quite comfortable with EGL cert diamonds, even if it is from EGL, USA.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I find Whitehall Jewelers prices to be outrageously high. Probably so that when they have a 50% off sale you feel like you''re getting a "deal". I suggest finding a local Mom and Pop jeweler with a good reputation that''s been in business for a while and give them a try. They usually do all the setting work themselves and stand behind their work. Most of them will bend over backwards to get you the diamond you want if they don''t have it in the store. Better than some 22 year old salesman who doesn''t know squat and doesn''t care. I''ve found one in my town who deals in GIA stones and has very reasonable prices on his pieces. He waits on me with dirty fingers every time and I love it! It tells me that he''s been back at his bench doing all the nitty gritty. He and his family have been in business over 50 years.

PrincessBride

Rough_Rock
I don''t know where you live, but if you''re ever close to the Westminster area in CA, there is a very good diamond jeweler/retailer. They carry brand name stuff like Scott Kay and stuff you see in Bridal magazines. It is a Vietnamese jeweler (Asians love diamonds and jewelry). The place is called Kieu Hanh. Phone# is 714-891-0205. They''ve been in business for over 26 years.

Here''s an idea of their pricing...GIA cert diamond, F color, VVS1 in clarity, 3/4 carat, price is between $3K - $4. You can ask them anything. They will help you and they never ever pressure you to buy. They will show you the diamond quality under a 10x microscope. You can buy the ring setting at Whitehall and buy your diamond there. They will set it in for you. They ask you to watch them set it in too to ensure that there is no funny business going on.

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with pearcrazy...NOW I think they advertise from 40-70% off......and you''re probably still lucky if you get what you are paying for....unless you take your IS.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results