shape
carat
color
clarity

Whitegold turns yellow

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RedKen

Rough_Rock
what happen to the mounted diamond when the white gold ring turn a bit light yellow and you bring it in for a refinish? Will the chemical/gold coating or whatever solution stick to the diamond?

Is ultrasonic cleaning safe for a VS2 clarity stone?

Ken

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Nothing happens to the diamond. The rhodium plating just adheres to the metal.

song

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 8/19/2003 6:30:42 PM RedKen wrote:

what happen to the mounted diamond when the white gold ring turn a bit light yellow and you bring it in for a refinish? Will the chemical/gold coating or whatever solution stick to the diamond?

Is ultrasonic cleaning safe for a VS2 clarity stone?

Ken
----------------

The ultrasonic should be fine for your VS2 clarity stone. The only thing I tend to be careful with are small pave set stones. If you clean your stone a lot and you have pave, eventually they will pop out. But I see no reason to worry about a large stone. I'm still learning, so stick around for an experts point of view! ~song

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
"White Gold" is really yellow gold which has been turned white in color by the addition of white metal alloy and it has a tendancy to oxidize back towards it's original color with exposure to the chemicals released by one's skin in much the same way that silver plated platters and such oxidize with exposure to the air... Many jewelers including ourselves routinely rhodium plate their white gold production to maintain the appearance of the jewelry for a longer period of time, the plating gradually wears off over a period of several years. If you are experiencing a more rapid oxidation, it is possible that the rhodium plating has been removed by polishing or was never applied in the first place. Routine polishing of the jewelry item will remove the oxidation (some of our clients prefer that their pieces not be plated) but the item is likely to need polishing several times per year...

Occasional and limited use of an ultra sonic cleaner with an SI-1 clarity diamond or higher is unlikely to have a negative effect on the diamond...

Acclaim

Rough_Rock
Is it ok to soak a WHITE gold ring in a ammonia jewellery cleaner overnight once a week? Will it turn yellow faster? Ammonia smells very strong to me. Must be a lot stronger than chemical released from a person hand.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results