shape
carat
color
clarity

Whiteflash's Upgrade Policy- for owners of non-Whiteflash diamonds.

CocoG

Rough_Rock
On the flip side, you can certainly see why a trade-up benefit, like many of the vendors participating here offer and which provides for 100% stored value on a diamond purchase, is so popular. Even if you never use it, it's good to know you have it in your back pocket!

So, to be clear...if I buy a WF diamond, I would still get the 100 percent price value guarantee— forever, or for as long as you all are in business (smile). So that means if I spent $5k, the diamond always be worth that, no more, no less — and then I could be assured of always getting the $5k for the stone to use on any level of future upgrade; correct? Thanks. I am a newbie here and just wanted that clarification on your current policy. cheers.

CocoG

Rough_Rock
So, to be clear...if I buy a WF diamond, I would still get from you all the 100 percent price value —“forever.” So that means if I spent $5k, the diamond always be worth that, no more, no less — and then I could be assured of always getting the $5k for the stone to use on any level of future upgrade; correct? Thanks. I am a newbie here and just wanted that clarification on your current policy. cheers.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So, to be clear...if I buy a WF diamond, I would still get the 100 percent price value guarantee— forever, or for as long as you all are in business (smile). So that means if I spent $5k, the diamond always be worth that, no more, no less — and then I could be assured of always getting the $5k for the stone to use on any level of future upgrade; correct? Thanks. I am a newbie here and just wanted that clarification on your current policy. cheers.
Yes, that is correct. The 100% stored value is a guarantee, even if the market goes down. If the market is higher, you can test the resale market and see if that is more advantageous.
This benefit applies to any diamond you buy that is part of our in-house inventory, i.e A CUT ABOVE, Expert Selection, or Premium Select. Likewise, the trade is applicable to any other in-house diamond. Diamonds that we may source for you through our virtual diamond service are not part of our trade up program.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes as long as the stone is undamaged.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes as long as the stone is undamaged.
Yes, that too!

But I must say that the infrequency of problems of that sort is pretty remarkable. Our trade-up policy goes back 18 years at this point, so we see regularly see stones that have been worn every day for well over a decade. It is very rare that there is even a scratch or chip on the diamond. And those can usually be fixed relatively inexpensively and with minimal weight loss. In those cases it is our practice to assist clients in getting the repairs done, reducing the allowance only by our actual cost, in order to facilitate the trade.

mikef

Rough_Rock
That's certainly in line with my experience. I've had a stone accepted and one rejected by WF, but I consider myself VERY lucky. Since this service is a long way out of the norm for most diamond businesses, I think those of us who were able to take advantage of this program were all lucky!

@mikef - I really hope this works out for you and that you find your dream diamond. Hang in there - it's worth the struggle!

Good luck!

mikef

Rough_Rock
Thank you mrs-b! I feel like I am nutty even thinking about trading it up. As this was once an Expert Selection diamond, I am hoping that if I ever find a suitable stone to trade up to, I will be able to sell it if I want to or trade it in. I remember trying SO HARD to find an ideal-cut 3-carat stone about 20 or so years ago. I was routinely-told that I was "nuts" (I have also been a fine jewelry salesman for a period of time). I finally found a stone at a trade show. The guy discouraged me from buying it, but it was a very lively stone. Then I sold it (it was a J-color, I-1 good cut after GIA grading, EGL USA graded it as an I-color, SI-2) through a hometown jeweler on consignment (I've known him for years). I only lost a little money on it (even though I wore it for over 12 years)! This stone cost many, many, thousands of dollars more (an ideal cut is worth it though). I am hoping that the market is much better for a AGS000 "vetted" stone should I ever need to sell it! In the mean time I truly enjoy wearing it and admiring its brilliance and sparkles! Have a great day!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, that too!

But I must say that the infrequency of problems of that sort is pretty remarkable. Our trade-up policy goes back 18 years at this point, so we see regularly see stones that have been worn every day for well over a decade. It is very rare that there is even a scratch or chip on the diamond. And those can usually be fixed relatively inexpensively and with minimal weight loss. In those cases it is our practice to assist clients in getting the repairs done, reducing the allowance only by our actual cost, in order to facilitate the trade.

I have to completely agree with Bryan here. Since I became a Crafted by Infinity retailer in 2002 I have had only one diamond returned with very minor damage. Yes, it can happen, but almost never actually does.

Wink

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow that's kinda awesome to hear that diamonds are robust and do stand the test of time!

I hang out in the colour stone forum and our stones are unfortunately not as hardy! :cry2:

hehe I personally tell myself "even diamonds can chip" to make myself feel better when I wear my brittle coloured stones out and about!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am all too aware of the downside of color's fragilities.

I once had a magnificent rhodolite garnet, I think it was around 14 carats, that I loved wearing. I was in New York on a buying trip back in the late seventies and while I was admiring some incredible gems at one of my supplier's office I asked him if he could get his bench to clean and polish my ring.

The benchman came in ten minutes later, ashen faced. He had "force dropped" my ring as he was polishing and my treasure was now two smaller gems. My supplier and I looked for years for a suitable replacement and never found one.

We remained friends for more than 20 years, but have lost touch since I no longer buy color for stock.

Wink

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ouch! That's a major disaster.

Besides chipping or breakage due to impacts, the most common issue with colored gems is gradual abrasion of the facet junctions on the crown. This results in a loss of luster and a perpetual cloudy look that cannot be restored by cleaning.

A great thing about diamond is the extreme hardness allows the facet junctions stay sharp.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ouch! That's a major disaster.

Besides chipping or breakage due to impacts, the most common issue with colored gems is gradual abrasion of the facet junctions on the crown. This results in a loss of luster and a perpetual cloudy look that cannot be restored by cleaning.

A great thing about diamond is the extreme hardness allows the facet junctions stay sharp.

This is interesting to know...thank you. I am a colored gemstone lover and beat the heck out of my jewelry. Are the facet junctions the “intersections” where the facets meet or the edges. the “lines” of the facets?

And how would that be fixed? Polishing the stone? Or a recut? I have never considered fixing a stone but your comment is making me think.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is interesting to know...thank you. I am a colored gemstone lover and beat the heck out of my jewelry. Are the facet junctions the “intersections” where the facets meet or the edges. the “lines” of the facets?

And how would that be fixed? Polishing the stone? Or a recut? I have never considered fixing a stone but your comment is making me think.
Yes, that would be where the facets meet - the edges created by facets coming together at different angles. Those ridges are more vulnerable to contact with the environment during daily wear.
Abrasions would have to be repaired by repolishing, or recutting if the damage is more severe.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, that would be where the facets meet - the edges created by facets coming together at different angles. Those ridges are more vulnerable to contact with the environment during daily wear.
Abrasions would have to be repaired by repolishing, or recutting if the damage is more severe.

Apologies, I know this is off topic, but one last question please... can any jeweler send a stone out to re-polish? Or should it be from a "graduate polisher"? Is there such a list or people you recommend (if you are allowed to recommend a general list of people). For reference on the type of stone... I am thinking of doing two... a sapphire and an emerald.

Thank you again.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You would want to use someone with skills and experience. I would not say that any jeweler would have the contacts to get that taken care of for you with confidence. Not every jeweler has a high level of expertise in colored gemstones. A positive indicator would be if the jeweler features a lot of high quality color in their operations.

You might contact the AGTA (American Gem Trade Association). They might have a list of cutters.
I have been immersed in diamonds for the last 15 years or so and I'm not in frequent communication with my former contacts in that world. It might seem surprising but there is virtually no crossover between diamond cutters and other gem cutters!
(you also might want to post a request for referrals on the gemstone channel here on PS)

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Apologies, I know this is off topic, but one last question please... can any jeweler send a stone out to re-polish?

Here is a before and after example. The stone is a tsavorite garnet that I bought back in 1975 and sold to a local doctor in 1983 or so.

My client's wife wore it every day for many years and in late 2010 brought it in to me for "salvation."

On the left is as it looked when it came in, on the right as it looked when repolished. Obviously, the original gem was native cut and I asked that the gem be restored without excessive weight loss, so it still appears to be native cut.

tom Jewel comparison.jpg

A good local jeweler should be able to help you with something like this, if not, there are plenty of people recommended in the colored gem section of Pricescope. As you can see though, the transformation from "beat all to heck," to "as new" can be stunning. My client's wife now saves it for special occasions and obviously my two pictures were made at different settings as there was no loss at all in the diameter of the gem.

Wink

Edited to add, I see my friend Bryan also responded while I was putting this comparison together. He is absolutely correct that there is virtually no crossover between color and diamond cutters. While many stores carry a little color, there are surprisingly few who go into it full steam ahead.

Last edited:

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
FC1251FE-DB70-485D-BEA8-04F4584F3121.jpeg @Wink oh wow...the difference is amazing! Here is my sapphire I am thinking about. It is native cut also. I love native cuts with all it’s symmetry flaws and windows. I am probably one of the few who likes a window... like looking into the heart of the stone. Precision cut for a colored gemstone, for me, seems too perfect.

Zoom in to the girdle. See how beat up it is? If it were your ring, or your wife’s ring, would you polish it up? Even the platinum is all bashed if you zoom in close. :(2

I wear my jewelry daily, everyday is a special ocassion day! This means I will keep beating up my jewelry is my point. Would you polish it now or maybe wait a few more years?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My opinion - I would not worry too much about the chips on the girdle UNLESS they pose a risk of futher damage (which is a possibility). The facet junctions from what I can tell are in pretty good shape.Wait until you have a little more wear and tear (not as much as the tsavorite!), and they you will get more out of a tuneup.

Interesting about native cuts. Often there is method to the madness. For instance, dark tone stones can get overdark if you cut them with a full pavilion. Even if cut to critical angle. So windows in fact DO improve the appearance in many cases.

Other 'liberties' taken by cutters are often designed to capture areas of color which then reflect back to the eye enhancing the saturation of color. You see this very commonly in light tone Sri Lankan sapphires with very deep and/or assymetrical pavilions. Sometimes if you re-cut them you end up with white sappire!

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your input. You are correct... let me beat that ring up a bit more before I send it in for a tuneup! That's a great way to think about it.

Funny you say that about native cuts and color... it's so true. I've been looking for a medium green Colombian for years. Most are darker green than I like and more included. And as I mentioned, the precision cuts seem too precise for me in how they reflect color. The emerald I recently purchased is the perfect color, to me of course, and clear (for an emerald). But it has an assymetrical pavilion to bring out that green in the exact spots where it is needed which then the assymetricalness (is that a trade term?) causes a window. The gemologist who looked at it said it was a great stone and great color, but also said "don't recut it unless you have to and only get an expert to do it... the person who cut this stone knew the exact angles needed to get this color".

This is exactly the point you made earlier so there must be something to it. It's good to hear that coming from an expert like you, not that I don't trust the other gemologist of course, but always good to hear it reiterated. Thanks.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results