shape
carat
color
clarity

Whiteflash's hearts and arrows viewer

k3wt

Rough_Rock
Hi all

I have a loose diamond from whiteflash and it came with the diamond kit.

I have read that it is extremely difficult to line up the stone to view it as per the images shown on the website. Therfore is there much point in having / using the hearts and arrows viewer?!

sbfairy

Rough_Rock
I don't think it is. My stone is currently mounted and I still look at it through the viewer to see the arrows. I also took it with me to look at a pair of earrings at a maul store recently.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The images on the site are not from a H&A viewer, though. You just put the loose stone in the tweezer tool and hold it up to the end of the H&A viewer and you can experiment until you see the reflector view of the arrows. I haven't ever gone to the trouble to try to see the hearts.

Elepig

Rough_Rock
It's not as good as a loupe but I use it to look at inclusions in my WF diamond and others.

k3wt

Rough_Rock
I'm just finding it hard to get a decent hearts view?! The image on WF is very sharp but in the scope I can't get the uniformity of colour on a heart and they have slight clefts in them

ghostm42

Rough_Rock
k3wt|1461349621|4022498 said:
I'm just finding it hard to get a decent hearts view?! The image on WF is very sharp but in the scope I can't get the uniformity of colour on a heart and they have slight clefts in them

I didn't get a ACA diamond, but I did get an Expert Selection. I used my own $7 H&A viewer (I believe it's the same type that WF sends) and also could not get the level of uniformity as those found online. But they use very elaborate equipment to get the position just right (I've seen it - it does ASET and IdealScope as well) whereas we just hope that diamond is perfectly in the the middle and the viewer is perfectly centered. In addition, my viewer uses a colored film that isn't a perfect circle in the viewing tube. That is to say, we have a lot of variables to control for (diamond position, tube position, head position). Even then, with that elaborate equipment, it's possible to be slightly off, resulting in more/larger clefts and irregular Vs. I don't think there's too much value trying to get their exact image. Get the best that you can and it's probably as much as you can expect. I have ideal cut CZ to compare it to and still have trouble getting perfect hearts and arrows on those.

Also, flip it around and use it as a loupe if you don't already own one.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
experiment... amount of space between viewer and stone, light from the side, top, bottom, look at it outside, under a lamp, etc etc,
It should be relatively easy and once you get the hang of it you can even take photos through it.
It shows the facet pattern in much better contrast than a regular loupe.

jatin grover

Rough_Rock
I didn't get a ACA diamond, but I did get an Expert Selection. I used my own $7 H&A viewer (I believe it's the same type that WF sends) and also could not get the level of uniformity as those found online. But they use very elaborate equipment to get the position just right (I've seen it - it does ASET and IdealScope as well) whereas we just hope that diamond is perfectly in the the middle and the viewer is perfectly centered. In addition, my viewer uses a colored film that isn't a perfect circle in the viewing tube. That is to say, we have a lot of variables to control for (diamond position, tube position, head position). Even then, with that elaborate equipment, it's possible to be slightly off, resulting in more/larger clefts and irregular Vs. I don't think there's too much value trying to get their exact image. Get the best that you can and it's probably as much as you can expect. I have ideal cut CZ to compare it to and still have trouble getting perfect hearts and arrows on those.

Also, flip it around and use it as a loupe if you don't already own one.

Hi, where did u buy the $7 viewer from?

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I know that you are asking about the H&A viewer, but you can get a LOT more information with the Ideal-Scope which was developed by Garry Holloway. You can get one of these from OldMiner (David Atlas) here on Pricescope rather than ordering from Garry in Australia.

Garry does have information on the Ideal-Scope.com site on using the Ideal-Scope and the ASET scopes. It takes a little practice and then you get a lot of great information about any diamond you are looking at.

Wink

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wink
Sorry for the stupid question or clarification: I thought an IdealScope and Hearts and Arrows Viewer were one and the same. Could you post a picture of each? thank you.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The Hearts and Arrows viewer is intended to do one thing, show you the Hearts and Arrows. It tells you nothing about light return or leakage, only that the diamond was cut to give a Hearts and Arrows image when viewed under the right conditions.

Hear is a simple Hearts and Arrows viewer. It uses the reflected light from inside the red portion of the tube to show the Hearts, or the Arrows, depending on which is up to receive the light that enters in the frosted light from the translucent portion of the tube.

Hearts and arrows viewer.jpg

Here is the Ideal-Scope. Because this is used with the light allowed to come from under the diamond, it clearly shows where the leakage is in the diamond, as well as the arrows if they exist. (Courtesy of a Google search)

Beginner-scope.jpg (Courtesy of Ideal-Scope.com Garry Holloway's site.)

The arrows which can be seen from the top of the diamond are caused by the obstruction of light from the act of viewing the diamond. (The head shadow.) At a normal viewing distance, this shadow will be from 30 to 40 degrees depending on the size of the head and the hairdo of the viewer. A lady with a bouffant hairdo will have a larger head shadow than an old bald guy...

What makes this head shadow so important is the on off sparkle caused by even the smallest of movements, such as a heart beat. This scintillation as some facets turn off while others turn on is what makes a diamond exciting. After all, if the diamonds were all facets on all of the time they would not have the contrast that our eyes are genetically predisposed to love more than a solid sameness.

Our hunter gatherer ancestors used the ability to detect edges and contrast as a means of identifying both prey and predators. If our ancestors eyes had not allowed them to both eat and live, we would not be here. Let's hear it for CONTRAST!

Wink

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The smaller handheld scopes give a slightly different image than the larger scopes.
There might be slight variations in specifics such as clefts.
When the diamond is properly centered what should not change is the symmetry.
To get a true image the diamond must be centered in the scope and the eye directly centered over the viewing hole in the scope.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results