shape
carat
color
clarity

Whiteflash for a Fire & Ice engagement - Awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jetski

Rough_Rock
On the first weekend in February, I'm going to propose to my girlfriend - in the land of Bjork, volcanos, geysers, and putrified shark meat - Iceland. Before I can do this, I needed the perfect piece of 'ice' to give her in the land of fire and ice. Little did I know how much of both I'd end up with..

Like every other clueless first-time groom-to-be, I was all ready to go out shopping for an e-ring after talking to my other engaged and married friends. After all, they went through it.. they must know what to do! This advice led me to a local well-known B&M store. The experience was a bit overwhelming, but I ended up finding a setting I liked and a stone that seemed pretty good. It was a .83 carat E SI2 AGS 1 cut that had very high light characteristics on a GemEx report for about $5900. I got just about every car salesman closing line in the book from the manager, but I somehow managed to walk out with nothing but a refundable down payment on the stone.

That night, I did a little web searching to see how my 'deal' stacked up. One of the sites that I stumbled onto was Pricescope - and I was amazed at the volume of information here. I ended up staying awake until 2 AM on a weeknight trying to digest it all. One thing became clear - my .83 didn't stack up too good against the deals on Whiteflash, GOG, and others. I suddenly didn't feel as good about my selection.

I filled out the price quote listing the following parameters: ~1ct, D-F color, VS1-SI2 clarity, H & A. This was about 2 AM. By 7:30 the next morning, I had a reply from Bob Hoskins (dimonBob) listing three potential stones. After talking through them with Bob and getting the Idealscope images, I finally selected the following:

1.01 ct "A Cut Above H&A"
D-SI1
6.52-6.54mm x 3.94 mm
depth: 60.3%
table: 57%
polish: ID
symmetry: ID
culet: pointed
girdle: med-thin
florescence: negligible
crown angle: 35.1%
crown %: 15.2%
pavilion angle: 40.8%
pavilion %: 42.9%
Certificate: AGS
Price: $6850 (bank transfer price)

The Idealscope image of this stone is posted below. After talking to Bob, he said the inclusions are VERY minimal and that the SI1 grading was probably a little pessimistic. This seemed like a no-brainer, so I put in the order.

After a stressful day of waiting, my package arrived on the worst icy snow-filled traffic day of the year. I had a white-knuckle journey to the freight depot to pick it up when it arrived. When I finally got to look at it, the stone was whiter than the new snow and absolutely blazed with light.

I immediately called the B&M to tell them that I wasn't interested in their stone any more, but I'd still want a setting. Though they said they'd set it, they'd really like the chance to put their stones side by side. I couldn't wait for this showdown!

The appraisal went smoothly, and the appraiser (Harry Cannon) give it all the high-marks that I expected. He also agreed that though technically it was an SI1 (as graded), it was basically as clean as most VS grade stones. He was completely dumbfounded when I told him the price - after the appraisal was done.

Later that day, I fought my way through more snow to get the ring to be set at the B&M. The store manager, when he saw Whiteflash's stone, immediately went for the top shelf. They brought out their "Crown Jewels" - their best hand picked, well-cut stones. He brought out a 1.06 D VS2 and a 1.1 E SI2 for comparison. This is where the surprise started:

"I'll match the price with the 1.06, and match the price with TAX on the 1.1. I want to win your business.". This was on stones collectively priced at $11,900 and $11,600.

By now, I had educated myself on reading certs, and the angles didn't look quite right on the 1.06. I also looked at it with an H&A viewer, and though he claimed it was an H&A diamond, it just didn't look right. The main scary part was that the florescence was "Strong Blue". I also swear it was every bit as included as my SI1 from Whiteflash! There was absolutely no comparison between their stones and Whiteflash's.

At that point, the Pepsi (tm) challenge was over - and Whiteflash's stone blew them away. I politely said I'd pass on their stones and thanked them for their time. The manager was very professional about it and admitted that I had a very nice stone and they'd be glad to set it in their settings. I have to say.. I was very impressed that they tried real hard to match an awesome price and were very professional about the whole thing.

I'm now patiently waiting to pick it up - I'm having it put in a Vatche' x-prong.

First, I'd like to give a big thank you to Bob Hoskins (dimonBob) at Whiteflash for helping me pick out a real sweet stone to give a real sweet girl on an engagement ring. I'm sure I asked enough questions to drive him nuts and he patiently and immediately called or emailed back - even after the sale.

Second, Thanks a ton to Pricescope - this place helped me avoid what could have been a big mistake.

Third, props to Harry Cannon at Cannon Gem Appraisal - very friendly and fun guy to chat with while my appraisal was getting done.

Now.. if anybody has any good Iceland proposal ideas short of keeping her out in the freezing cold until she says "Yes". There's got to be a way to ask her in Icelandic - though it probably translates into "I'd like to share whale blubber with you".
tongue.gif

-Mark

IS_AGS-4191103.jpg

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
At first, I thought you may have been proposing to me.
wink2.gif
9.gif

Great Story & Super Diamond. Pics on the finished product please. My only recommendation for Iceland is dress warm & good luck!
9.gif
You probably won't need it (the luck) w/ that diamond.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/30/2004 10:01:27 AM fire&ice wrote:

At first, I thought you may have been proposing to me.
wink2.gif
9.gif

Great Story & Super Diamond. Pics on the finished product please. My only recommendation for Iceland is dress warm & good luck!
9.gif
You probably won't need it (the luck) w/ that diamond. ----------------

HeeeHeee, F&I!!
9.gif

Ya know, Jet, that F&I would be an awesome catch!!
2.gif

Many preCongrats on the ring!! Shame on you for not posting pics!! But we will forgive you, IF,.... You give us some juicy details on the proposal and eye candy when she says YES!!
appl.gif
16.gif

Jaded Gem

Shiny_Rock
Dear Mark,
Wow!
love.gif
You really know how to pick a fine diamond.
appl.gif
I read your story so first let me say "Congratulations on the Fire & Ice engagement."
2.gif
That was a beautiful rock under that firescope. Just delicious!
lickout.gif
Yeah, I have to say that you did an excellent job with your comparison shopping around even though you say you just spent one long night reading all the advice on Pricescope.
Up_to_something.gif
Yeah, this forum is a wealth of knowledge and it can be pretty addictive to read.
naughty.gif

This past week I saw 8* diamonds which cost your range but they were almost half as small and not even that close to the color grade that you got except for one that was a recut. Before when I was shopping around I also talked to Diamond Bob or Bob Hoskins. He is a true gentleman, and he is very patient in educating one on diamonds. Overall a great guy.
appl.gif
Unfortunately, I tried to have Bob get the stone that I had wanted and the other vendor had it. I assume he couldn't get it since I didn't hear back from him so I went with the other vendor who sold it to me. They pretty much didn't do a fair disclosure on the final item, and I have given up on that stone entirely. From that bad experience, I've tried to muster up the courage to look at a different shape stone now.
Like Diamond Bob once told me, the rounds have the most sparkle and bang from all the diamond shapes so I've now considered all the ideal rounds that all the vendors carry through their own special lines as a possible selection for myself in the future. It is a bit confusing, and I still don't know who has the best since they all carry their own top of the line round ideals. However, after seeing your rock under the firescope, I must say it looked like the three 8* that I saw this past week. No white light on the edges or near the girdle. The 8* vendor I went to told me that all 8* don't leak light or have light leakage so you won't find any white specks on the diamond when viewing under the firescope. Then he showed me one that was a "Hearts & Arrows" make type of diamond, and it showed light leakage on the edges or near the girdle. I was somewhat convinced yet somewhat skeptical on whether I was going to sink a huge amount of money for a smaller 8* and for a lesser color and clarity then I would have liked.
22.gif
Regardless the 8* that I saw still was quite a spectacle even in the H-J range. Anyway, I noticed Whiteflash has their own "A Cut Above." I can say if all their "ACAs" look as great as your stone then I need to talk to Diamond Bob or Bob Hoskins myself to see if I can get some of that fire & ice too. Anyway, I feel very happy for you and your fiancee. Congratulations! Please show pics of the final product when the diamond is set in the engagement ring. I bet it will be quite the sparkler!
loopy.gif
Best Wishes to you and your fiancee.
love.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on a beautiful stone! There are so many memorable places to propose on Iceland -- as you walk down the crevicelike road between the European and North American continents, at the gysers or waterfalls, in one of their beautiful very modern restaurants. Iceland has a saga for everything - maybe you can weave a saga around it...

I'm sure it will be a great moment -- you'll have to report back!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Jetski, it looks like you picked a winner there! When I first found Pricescope, my eyes were red from reading so much so I certainly know what you mean about staying up half the night reading all the information! And I think that "I'd like to share whale blubber with you" is a very unique and romantic proposal idea!

aneelcon

Shiny_Rock
Congrats!I thought you were related to F&I who posts here regularly. The IS image is beautiful. The people at WF sure know how to take amazing pics....oh yeah, their stones are good too.
appl.gif

Jetski

Rough_Rock
Sorry for not posting any other pics.. I don't have the actual ring yet since it's being set as we speak. I'm picking it up on Monday - so I'll try to get something posted next week.

In the meantime, here's Whiteflash's picture of the stone. I'm still amazed at the quality of the shot.

Know what the irony is in this whole plan? Icelandic engagement rings don't typically have diamonds. Oh well!

Enjoy..
-Jetski

StoneMT.jpg

Jaded Gem

Shiny_Rock
Hey that's quite a beautiful rock, jetski!
lickout.gif
And about what you said, "Know what the irony is in this whole plan? Icelandic engagement rings don't typically have diamonds. Oh well!" Don't worry about that. I had a friend whose brother married an Icelandic lady and she had one of the biggest rocks that I've ever seen on her finger. I guess no complaints from her, and maybe you can start a trend up there.
Up_to_something.gif
Don't know if the Icelandic men will appreciate it, but hey at least your girl will.
naughty.gif
By the way, I got a postcard from another friend of mine who said that Iceland is actually very green and not at all what you would expect, and that Greenland is actually not as green and more of ice than one would expect. Could you verify this? I guess maybe the explorers who founded Greenland were also the same ones who discovered Iceland...but I would like the history of the names if you could share it and if what my friend says is true then should the names be swapped? I apologize for being so random. I just love hearing about new and interesting places and adventures as much as I love reading about someone's bling bling.
3.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Ah, that's a gorgeous stone. Nice story, too. Thanks for sharing!

Skyblue

Rough_Rock
Congratulations .. you have a very beautiful stone. Please make sure to post pictures of the ring once you get it!
lickout.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beauutiful stone!!! That's a charmer for sure. She will be amazed!
1.gif
Congrats, good eye!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Jetski, Iceland is known for their hot water springs spas. Very sumptious, and beautiful. My sister and I sadly were in Iceland, right near Reykjavik and we, but never took advantage of all the great stuff. Try the Geothermal baths (some are like big hot tubs outside!) and there's whale watching, glacier trips, horseback riding...

Here is an over elaborate and totally unsolicited scenario: if you want to stay warm, take her to a geothermal spa and perhaps while she is relaxing in the soothing waters, you can put a silk blindfold on her, feed her chocolate covered strawberries, a sip of champagne, and recite something you write for her...and have her unwrap a little "gift" box. As she gets to the ring box, say, "here, let me get that out for you"...have romantic music start to play and slowly slip the ring on, THEN take off her blindfold...WHAM...

Ok, overactive imagination...back to my Kraft Mac & Cheese dinner...and champagne...

Pre-CONGRATS!!! and post some pics and the whole story when you can!!!

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/30/2004 7:20:17 PM Nicrez wrote:

Jetski, Iceland is known for their hot water springs spas. Very sumptious, and beautiful. My sister and I sadly were in Iceland, right near Reykjavik and we, but never took advantage of all the great stuff. Try the Geothermal baths (some are like big hot tubs outside!) and there's whale watching, glacier trips, horseback riding...
----------------

I've been to the main geothermal spa, and it is not to be missed! However, it didn't strike me as romantic -- a little too many people and the emphasis is on the community baths, not the amenities, from what I remember. However, it is spectactular. It's in the middle of a lave field, next to a major power plant (the uniqueness of the highly mineralized water is somehow related to the power plant -- I forget the details), and it is opaque turquoise blue. Striking setting and water felt so good that you don't want to wash it off. You won't see anything like it anywhere else -- I can guarantee that! There might be smaller spas. We didn't see any, but I was on a group trip, and focused on the key unique sites of Iceland more than something individuals would do.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Jetski, what a wonderful story and that stone rocks! You did your homework, went up for the pepsi challenge with all your research under your belt, good for you. And yes, I agree that was indeed professional of them to try and match to keep your business. Though it was not to be for them this time for them, if they continue to upkeep their business ethics, they may win one or two online lookers over.
9.gif

Jetski

Rough_Rock
As promised.. here's the finished ring. Everything turned out great!

48 hours from now, I'll be on the plane to Iceland with my girlfriend. I still haven't figured out the exact plan, but it's hard to go wrong there - there's lots of great spots.

Now, my latest problem is that her dad decided to stay out of town for the week.. so I haven't been able to have "the talk" with him. The current word is that he should be back tomorrow night, so I might slide in under the wire.

Wish me luck..
naughty.gif

Jetski-E-Ring.jpg

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Wow, beautiful ring! Enjoy Iceland. It's sure to be a memorable trip for lotsof reasons now!

Jaded Gem

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful diamond engagement ring! Okay, good luck, Jetski. Have fun!
wavey.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
It's a beautiful diamond in a gorgeous setting! That IS image looks so yummy!
1.gif
appl.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Oh yes, that's gorgeous!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Eewwww!! Beautiful ring!! Best wishes for a wonderful trip!!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results