shape
carat
color
clarity

Whiteflash Diamond Mix-Up

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Scary thing is I could see myself making the same mistake with identical weight and so similar report numbers. ugh!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am completely flabbergasted that WF made this mistake -- actually 3 WF staffers signed off on the error before shipping wrong diamond -- and WF responded to customer's initial phone call with denial, apparently without even checking their inventory which would have confirmed the customer was correct ... really poor customer service and inexcusable quality assurance IMO.

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
I am completely flabbergasted that WF made this mistake -- actually 3 WF staffers signed off on the error before shipping wrong diamond -- and WF responded to customer's initial phone call with denial, apparently without even checking their inventory which would have confirmed the customer was correct ... really poor customer service and inexcusable quality assurance IMO.

I agree it's a pretty big mistake to make. But with the additional context of the incredibly similar AGS report numbers as well as the exact same weight AND color I've softened my opinion regarding the egregiousness of the mistake.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WF is a diamond vendor -- in fact a super-ideal diamond vendor -- they buy and sell diamonds by the numbers -- customers buy WF diamonds by the numbers -- even if I were to agree the numbers were similar, the clarity is easily differentiated at a glance -- QA is in place to ensure this specific thing doesn't happen -- the truth is, WF staffers, 3 of them at least, completely fell down on the job, didn't pay attention or take due care, rotely signed off on the order -- 3 times, 3 separate WF workers -- if any of them had actually taken the time to match up the pulled diamond with the order, they would have immediately seen it was the wrong diamond -- that kind of QA may be okay with you, but not with me.

Rockcollector

Shiny_Rock
I am sure that the 3 employees are extremely embarrassed and that steps are being taken to make sure this never happens again. I’m glad that the purchaser was on top of things and that this was resolved quickly. I have never purchased from Whiteflash but certainly would not hesitate to .

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
After reading the details (those grading report numbers are uncanny!), I can see how the error could have occurred. Being trained in ISO 9000 curriculum, the one class that resonates the most with me is "Root Cause and Human Error Analysis". Because that, quite simply, is what this came down to: human error. It happens. What ISO certification means, more importantly, is that mechanisms are in place to evolve a company's processes and procedures for future error reduction after a problem does arise, because errors will arise as long as a human element is present. If that evolution doesn't happen, then a company's ISO certification status is at risk of being lost during the next formal external audit.

As mentioned before, judge not by what a company does when things go right, but what they do when things go wrong. Seems to me that the problem is being expeditiously corrected.

I sympathize about the frustration and the extra time required during the error discovery and rectification period.
No one wants to feel that.
No one should have to feel that.

Let's try to keep the scope of focus on the plane of reality: It's an error with a diamond shipment, not an organ transplant.

Last edited:

theshirlgirlNS

Rough_Rock
While definitely not an "organ transplant", it also isn't a case of shipping a piece of clothing in the wrong size or color. For many people, a diamond may be one of the most expensive things they buy. It's more than a little unsettling to not get what you paid for.

@DejaWiz I know you weren't trying to diminish the situation, and given the way its being handled, hopefully this will be something OP can joke about at some point (maybe? maybe not...).

If this were me, I'd be really upset and concerned until I had the correct diamond in my possession.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Speaking as someone who just bought a 4.05ct H VS1, when there was also a 4.05ct H VS2 on the site.....

I'm just gonna head off and check my diamond.....

:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

After reading the details, I can see how the error could have occurred. Being trained in ISO 9000 curriculum, the one class that resonates the most with me is "Root Cause and Human Error Analysis". Because that, quite simply, is what this came down to: human error. It happens. What ISO certification means, more importantly, is that mechanisms are in place to evolve a company's processes and procedures for future error reduction after a problem does arise, because errors will arise as long as a human element is present. If that evolution doesn't happen, then a company's ISO certification status is at risk of being lost during the next formal external audit.

As mentioned before, judge not by what a company does when things go right, but what they do when things go wrong. Seems to me that the problem is being expeditiously corrected.

I sympathize about the frustration and the extra time required during the error discovery and rectification period.

Let's try to keep the scope of focus on the plane of reality: It's an error with a diamond shipment, not an organ transplant.

Just to elaborate on the comment @DejaWiz makes on ISO9000, this certification is foundationally a continual improvement regimen. Product non-conformities and errors must all be documented in specified, auditable ways. Root cause must be determined and documented, and corrective action (where indicated) taken and documented.

While adherence to ISO9000 requirements does result in a business having better control over quality, it cannot guarantee errors will not occur. It does however significantly support improvement of products and processes over time.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Speaking as someone who just bought a 4.05ct H VS1, when there was also a 4.05ct H VS2 on the site.....

I'm just gonna head off and check my diamond.....

:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

@mrs-b ,
I think this is a good takeaway from this thread for all consumers. As long as there are human beings in the process, there is the chance of an error. It's good practice to carefully review and verify your diamond purchases.

Last edited:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If another customer purchased the SI1 stone he/she would had received a big bonus ... :bigsmile: :devil:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After reading the details (those grading report numbers are uncanny!), I can see how the error could have occurred. Being trained in ISO 9000 curriculum, the one class that resonates the most with me is "Root Cause and Human Error Analysis". Because that, quite simply, is what this came down to: human error. It happens. What ISO certification means, more importantly, is that mechanisms are in place to evolve a company's processes and procedures for future error reduction after a problem does arise, because errors will arise as long as a human element is present. If that evolution doesn't happen, then a company's ISO certification status is at risk of being lost during the next formal external audit.

Thank you, seriously, for the reality check. Yes, this situation could be life threatening in other circumstances! But thankfully, this is just a little stone that can be quickly switched! I do understand daisygrl's shock when she discovered she was sent the wrong stone, though!

My guess is that the diamond was pulled for shipment and three different people were checking the diamond (and inscription) against the grading report. The diamond did match it's report. It's crazy how similar the two stones are, so I can't say I wouldn't have made the same mistake. It's a scary and serious error, but I have no doubt in my mind that what Bryan said is true....they would have caught it themselves in time, and I have total confidence they would have notified daisygrl and made it right for her. Thankfully she didn't have to deal with a delayed resolution. I have never checked my WF stones and honestly have confidence that their procedures very safe aside from these two crazily similar diamonds!

Can't wait to see your new diamond and ring, daisygrl! Glad you caught this so quickly!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
While definitely not an "organ transplant", it also isn't a case of shipping a piece of clothing in the wrong size or color. For many people, a diamond may be one of the most expensive things they buy. It's more than a little unsettling to not get what you paid for.

@DejaWiz I know you weren't trying to diminish the situation, and given the way its being handled, hopefully this will be something OP can joke about at some point (maybe? maybe not...).

If this were me, I'd be really upset and concerned until I had the correct diamond in my possession.

I sympathize. I've been on the receiving end of mistakes in things I've allocated my hard earned money on.

Be it a piece of clothing, a diamond, or even a special order vehicle, human error can and does happen.
That is, philosophically, what defines a human as human.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

A diamond purchase is definitely in a different category! It is both expensive and emotionally important. Also, small quality differences that equate to significant value differences may be subtle at first observation.

No doubt it is understandably upsetting to receive the wrong diamond. And upsetting and highly regrettable for the vendor who makes such an error.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Interestingly, multiple checks can sometimes result in more risk. Everyone thinks someone else has already checked so are not as diligent. It's a phenomenon we see in medicine with dual checks of high risk drugs Sometimes it's better to have one person who knows they are the only one doing it, so it's done thoroughly from start to finish as they are 100% accountable.

Maybe an inclusion map check by person A and a number check by person B would help?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The reason I am writing is that I would like to ask @Texas Leaguer if he could check my stone himself to make sure that the correct one will be sent to me. I do not have any other way to contact him except this forum and wanted to do so before WF sends out the stone.
@daisygrl ,
As I am currently away from the office, our COO has personally verified your diamond which is already packed and ready to go.

Sincere apologies again for the jarring experience our error caused you.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Interestingly, multiple checks can sometimes result in more risk. Everyone thinks someone else has already checked so are not as diligent. It's a phenomenon we see in medicine with dual checks of high risk drugs Sometimes it's better to have one person who knows they are the only one doing it, so it's done thoroughly from start to finish as they are 100% accountable.

Maybe an inclusion map check by person A and a number check by person B would help?

This is an interesting observation. As counter intuitive as it sounds, I do believe this phenomenon may have played a role in this case.

Also, that the diamond was loose so at each QC stage the operator was able to weigh the diamond which tended to confirm identity and thereby lessen the level of scrutiny placed on reading the inscription.

It's a good learning moment for the team but a lousy experience for the client.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Good catch @daisygrl ! Sorry to hear about the mix up. Glad it will be rectified asap. I am excited for you!

I was wondering, you had a vs2 h, were you able to see the inclusions in that stone or do you just prefer a higher clarity for mind clean reasons?
Can't wait to see your new ring!

I did not see any inclusions in my previous VS2 but it was 2.13 and I wanted to upgrade in size. This is a long story, so to make it short and not deviate from the topic. I contacted CBI for a trade and Wink/Layla quoted me $40,000+ for 2.5 I, VS2, which felt like a rip off. I do not want to go there in this thread but I wanted to part ways with former HPD for this reason and also their legal issues that made me uncomfortable. Due to their quote, I saw myself no longer doing business/trade-ins with them. This is my personal choice and not a recommendation for anyone else. I purchased a necklace from WF and the stone was a perfection in every way (I need to do a reveal on that too) so I contacted them about a trade.

Last edited:

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
This is an interesting observation. As counter intuitive as it sounds, I do believe this phenomenon may have played a role in this case.

Also, that the diamond was loose so at each QC stage the operator was able to weigh the diamond which tended to confirm identity and thereby lessen the level of scrutiny placed on reading the inscription.

It's a good learning moment for the team but a lousy experience for the client.

This is definitely one for the training manual!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I love Whiteflash. They have beautiful stones and I've had nothing but great customer service with them.

With that said, I don't believe three people checked. Maybe three people are supposed to check to make sure this never happens, but there's no way they did since that would mean three people all got it wrong.

I hope Debbie gets involved and addresses everyone who didn't do their job. This is too expensive of a mistake to ever happen again.

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
I did not see any inclusions in my previous VS2 but it was 2.13 and I wanted to upgrade in size. This is a long story, so to make it short and not deviate from the topic. I contacted CBI for a trade and Wink/Layla quoted me $40,000+ for 2.5 I, VS2, which felt like a rip off. I do not want to go there in this thread but I wanted to part ways with former HPD for this reason and also their legal issues that made me uncomfortable. Due to their quote, I saw myself no longer doing business/trade-ins with them. This is my personal choice and not a recommendation for anyone else. I purchased a necklace from WF and the stone was a perfection in every way (I need to do a reveal on that too) so I contacted them about a trade.

Got it! Glad it worked out. Can't wait to see the new stone!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry that this happened - both for the customer and the vendor. Fortunately @daisygrl discovered the error before WF did. I too have received stellar customer service from WF and know that they will review every step of their procedure process to further mitigate errors. We can be shocked and rattled over it but if there is one among us that has never made an error while doing their job, I want to meet them - lol! I know it is an important and an expensive item but they know this too and will take every necessary step to make it right for @daisygrl as well as future customers. I have been a member here since 2005 and this is the first I have ever heard of this type of situation. I do think it serves as a reminder to all of us to check things we receive as well. A problem realized earlier has a much better chance of being rectified with as little pain as possible as seen by @daisygrl’s diligence.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you. If I were to receive 2.572ct E, IF, I would just see it as a fate not an error. They sent it, it is mine now. ;-)

I just read this and think something tangible should be on its way to you as an apology!!!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really is wacky-shacky how close the cert numbers are for two stones of the same weight and color! Good on you for double checking! If you hadn’t and took it to DK for setting… well, that doesn’t even bear thinking about, yikes!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
WF will let her keep the SI1 stone. :bigsmile:

We all agree the stones would make a good pair so let’s say we all forget about this if @daisygrl gets to keep both diamonds AND she posts at least three pics a week. Everyone wins.

@DejaWiz A diamond transplant is just like a heart transplant. There’s a song about it by the Police.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
We all agree the stones would make a good pair so let’s say we all forget about this if @daisygrl gets to keep both diamonds AND she posts at least three pics a week. Everyone wins.

@DejaWiz A diamond transplant is just like a heart transplant. There’s a song about it by the Police.

Did somebody just say "earrings?" :kiss2:

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results