shape
carat
color
clarity

Whiteflash custom cut

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! I’ve been sitting here thinking ... “wait a minute ... I’m still pretty darn excited!!!!”

Got all wrapped up in this thread because I really have not been having fun, but that doesn’t mean I’m not super excited!!!!

I mean, an ACA is still an ACA!!!! Stupid 56.4 table, lol, oh no it’s the end of the world, lol :lol-2:

Yay!!!

ETA: Hmmmm. Well, I guess it wouldn’t hurt to share ... here’s the link:

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4096805.htm

It looks gorgeous. I totally get it, the process of custom ANYTHING can be stressful and the end result not exactly in line with what you had envisioned. I've had the "custom blues" with jewelry, my house, and my hair :lol::lol::lol: But sometimes it just takes some time to adjust and appreciate it for what it is...I hope it knocks your socks off when it arrives. :geek2:

DiamondsAndDior

Rough_Rock
What exactly are you looking for? I noticed WF had several over the 4ct mark in stock currently.

@Wewechew I’ve looked at all the inventory of ACAs and none of them really meet my requirements. I’m looking for something in the 4.5-4.8ct range. They only have one in that range. It is 4.5ct, but an F color. I’m not color sensitive enough to want to pay the premium for a colorless stone. Plus it’s $167K which is more than what I want to spend.

Last edited:

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Wewechew I’ve looked at all the inventory of ACAs and none of them really meet my requirements. I’m looking for something in the 4.5-4.8ct range. They only have one in that range. It is 4.5ct, but an F color. I’m not color sensitive enough to want to pay the premium for a colorless stone. Plus it’s $167K which is more than what I want to spend.
Got it :geek2: Yea there are several if you go outside that range, but I can understand not wanting to deviate from the specs you want :mrgreen2:

DiamondsAndDior

Rough_Rock
I’m so tired of dealing with online inventory and jewelers who recommend questionable GIA stones!!! I don’t think I need to get into all the details but I’m pretty annoyed and exhausted with my search.

I think I want to work with Whiteflash, even if just for their trustworthiness and customer service. Since I’m still unsure about custom cutting, what do you all think about getting an ACA that may not be 100% what I want, but at least I know I can upgrade if something closer to 100% becomes available?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would do that as well - in the meantime you'll have a beautiful diamond to enjoy even if it isn't the size you aspire to!

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I got an estimated ship date of March 29 ... so I suppose I can expect delivery April 1. Maybe at your carat range it would take less than two months. I think I expected some priority when it came to setting the diamond (less than two weeks) but WF never indicated that would be the case.

I guess I”m being unreasonably impatient, or maybe I’m just having a bad day. I’m sure all will be fine next week when I’m finally out of my misery! I’m sure WF will be glad to be done with me too.

Just gotta get me some more patience! Not much longer now. I think.

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got an estimated ship date of March 29 ... so I suppose I can expect delivery April 1. Maybe at your carat range it would take less than two months. I think I expected some priority when it came to setting the diamond (less than two weeks) but WF never indicated that would be the case.

I guess I”m being unreasonably impatient, or maybe I’m just having a bad day. I’m sure all will be fine next week when I’m finally out of my misery! I’m sure WF will be glad to be done with me too.

Just gotta get me some more patience! Not much longer now. I think.

I am anxious to see your new pretty too! Not much longer I hope!

DiamondsAndDior

Rough_Rock
@kmoro oh wow, two months? Do you know why it took so long? April 1 is coming up soon though! I’m really excited for you and I can’t wait for you to share photos. I hope it is worth the wait, please do keep us updated!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Patience can result in big rewards! Going with the fastest option is not always going to be the best!

That said, I know many who start with a Whiteflash stone that they KNOW is not going to be their last. They enjoy the stone they have until they come across one they want more and upgrade (my friend @m-2-b is one of them! @kmoro Your diamond is gorgeous from the picture to the numbers! I 100% agree with everything @gm89uk said! Mentally you might like that table number to be 55.9, but you wouldn't be able to tell 55.9 from 56.4! That's still an awesome table size for an ideal cut round! And D VVS?! Wow, you did need to custom cut because those are going to be rarely cut for inventory as they sell far more stones in the near colorless range.

To add to what gm89uk said, I am one who has concentrated on numbers almost to a fault in the past. But the parameters are tight for ACAs, and there just aren't bad ones. I am going to disagree with the analysis of a poster above that said there was an ACA with leakage under the table! Um no, that stone had a gorgeous ASET! I have had the great pleasure of visiting WF and had the opportunity to look at many gorgeous ACAs in my own hands, and I can honestly say that there wasn't a single stone that I'd not accept due to cut. If a stone is eyeclean, then the only thing I might be able to really differentiate would be color, and I do have color preferences depending on type of stone (such as antique versus modern brilliant, etc.).

I would consider custom cutting an ACA with WF because of their great upgrade policy. There's so little risk with these, especially since one can always change stones later if their preferences change. I find custom cutting other specialty cuts MUCH more disconcerting because the ranges of parameters are not as tight, so you really have less control over what the end product would look like.

@DiamondsAndDior I think you'll not find a lot of diamonds in the 4.5-4.8 range due to the fact that a cutter will aim for cutting a 5 ct stone when possible even if the stone won't be superideal. Like they may not be willing to cut you a 4.8 from a piece of rough if they could cut a 5 ct stone that would bring a much higher price. That said, my friend had a 4.5 ct ACA and upgraded to a 4.7 currently, so it is possible that they could get one in. But I highly recommend starting with one that is close to what you want and upgrade later like she did. I think she started at around 3.6 or so and went up from there.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here's a good question. I don't know whether it's been answered yet in other threads, but I personally don't recall ever seeing it. May be pertinent to @DiamondsAndDior's decision. Would be nice if @Texas Leaguer or @Wink can weigh in here on behalf of WF and HPD.

Can someone request a custom cut as part of an upgrade through the SuperIdeal vendors?

Meaning, if @DiamondsAndDior selects a SuperIdeal in the 3ish carat range right now with the intention of holding out for a 4.5ish carat stone to appear in the inventory at a later date, if she gets tired of waiting and decides to accept the risk that a custom cut entails, could she trade-in her diamond and apply the credit towards a custom cut? On the WF website it states:

"If a desirable alternative is not in stock at that time, you will be issued a special trade-up credit to be used to execute the trade when a diamond meeting your criteria comes into stock."

But it does not mention whether people who trade in diamonds can request custom cuts as part of an upgrade.

I think this should be the focal point of your decision @DiamondsAndDior. Because if your trade-in credit cannot be used for a custom cut upgrade, and a stone that meets your "forever stone" criteria never comes into stock, then you're pretty much SOL. In that case, it may be best to either a.) Wait it out a while to see what comes in stock in the next year or b.) Accept the uncertainty and just go for the custom cut right now. But if you do have the option of doing a custom cut at a later date, I see no problem with going for a temporary stone right now and stalking the inventory over the next few years. Nothing to lose really if you always have that back-up option of custom cutting later. :)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mentally you might like that table number to be 55.9, but you wouldn't be able to tell 55.9 from 56.4!
That's true!. I have certain #s stuck in my head i.e... 54-55.3% table on a 15.5-15.7% crown height.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a good question. I don't know whether it's been answered yet in other threads, but I personally don't recall ever seeing it. May be pertinent to @DiamondsAndDior's decision. Would be nice if @Texas Leaguer or @Wink can weigh in here on behalf of WF and HPD.

Can someone request a custom cut as part of an upgrade through the SuperIdeal vendors?

Meaning, if @DiamondsAndDior selects a SuperIdeal in the 3ish carat range right now with the intention of holding out for a 4.5ish carat stone to appear in the inventory at a later date, if she gets tired of waiting and decides to accept the risk that a custom cut entails, could she trade-in her diamond and apply the credit towards a custom cut? On the WF website it states:

"If a desirable alternative is not in stock at that time, you will be issued a special trade-up credit to be used to execute the trade when a diamond meeting your criteria comes into stock."

But it does not mention whether people who trade in diamonds can request custom cuts as part of an upgrade.

I think this should be the focal point of your decision @DiamondsAndDior. Because if your trade-in credit cannot be used for a custom cut upgrade, and a stone that meets your "forever stone" criteria never comes into stock, then you're pretty much SOL. In that case, it may be best to either a.) Wait it out a while to see what comes in stock in the next year or b.) Accept the uncertainty and just go for the custom cut right now. But if you do have the option of doing a custom cut at a later date, I see no problem with going for a temporary stone right now and stalking the inventory over the next few years. Nothing to lose really if you always have that back-up option of custom cutting later. :)

I'm not @Texas Leaguer so I can't say that this is the policy with 100% certainty, but I do believe @mrs-b was able to do this - she had a 3.4ct H ACA then upgraded that to a custom cut 4ct I ACA bc there wasn't anything in inventory or in the pipeline then traded that one in for her current 3ct F ACA.

Hexagon

Rough_Rock
Cutting to exact proportions depend on two main aspects...
1) the cutters physical ability. Since most cutters in the world are not challenged for this sort of exactness, then they don’t learn nor practice that path. Such cutters will not be able to achieve such exactness period. I assume when you meant “exact proportions” you actually mean the most possibly precise 3D optical symmetry precision which takes light calculations within the exactness?

2) yield limitations..., most generic cuts have some play-range within their focused proportions. So for example, if a cutter finds himself within subtle material irregularities like you mentioned, axis directions, naturals/inclusions etc..., most cuts (including the wide ranges of 3X or 000) will allow maneuverability around such irregularities thanks to that specific allowed range. In what is called super ideal cuts (mostly extremely tight branded cuts), those irregularities will force cutters to basically recut (repolish over the whole diamond volume) the whole diamond again in order to eliminate such issues and stay within their branded protocols.

So to your statement..., if the cutter is well accomplished and there are no extreme value and time compromises, then achieving the exactness within scanner margin of errors is definitely possible.

In some rare instances which are less relevant to the rough materials chosen for such branded diamonds, some irregularities will force cutters to certain unwanted proportions. But such problematic rough is not usually chosen for those tasks as they possess too many irregularities and inclusions which cause such problems to begin with.

Do you know of any cutters who can achieve close to exact proportions, @sledge ?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results