shape
carat
color
clarity

White spots on pearls. What are they?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loooong story! Bought a lovely strand from Katbran that were decent quality but had to save it for the little sister who is driving me crazy.

Anyways bought a cheap strand with white spots to wear. I really like these and the spots are not too noticeable (and disclosed by vendor) but am now wondering if the spots are scratches that will wear away with time?

Also have the ten yr old who likes to play and grip onto the spotty ones so will this make the colour scratch off faster?

He’s due to get his pearl at Christmas but he doesn’t know it so he likes to run around with the spotty strand or touch it when I wear it.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The identification depends on what you mean by 'spots'. Photos would help.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Soooo Your sister got her hands on your nice strand..... You were under strict instructions to keep them to your self lol

I know you weren't talking about my pearls when you mentioned the spotty ones... just to be clear :D

As Wendy mentioned - it would be easier to know exactly what the problem might be if we could see the pearls. You mention colour which kind of threw me off as often you see white 'spots' on White pearls where over processing has created 'chalky ' looking areas. Are your 'spotty ' pearls dyed ? Is the nacre smooth or can you feel the spots ?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hallo!!! Sorry I went down with a case of food poisoning!!!

Here are some pics!

PXL_20221128_091301615.jpg

PXL_20221128_091636575.jpg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@katbran it feels a little raised around some of the spots but not all.

Just to clarify the necklace I bought from Katbran is/was in tip top shape!!!! Only worn once as a demo and packed away for my sister's birthday.

This spotty one is a completely DIFFERENT necklace!!!

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
They are patches where the nacre which we want (colourful and shiny) has failed to grow and instead a chalky patch of unshiny white develops. It is part of the pearl and would downgrade the grading to A-.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results