shape
carat
color
clarity

White spot on keshi?

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
HI all,

I'm a long time beader and am currently making a pair of earrings with long narrow metallic white keshi. One of the pearls has a white patch where the nacre doesn't have the metallic finish like the rest of the pearl. If I buff it, is there possibly a better finish underneath?
Just wondering about my options...

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As I understand it, highly lustrous pearls are that way because of how the aragonite crystals are laid down.

I don't know if buffing will help. It's possible that the layer underneath has the same arrangement of crystals that led to the duller nacre in that area.

If I were you I'd want to experiment first with an unimportant pearl-- one that is not destined for a piece of jewelry-- just to play it safe. Unless the pearl in question is dull enough that you would not otherwise want to use it for the earrings?

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your reply :)

I was only able to acquire these 2 pearls for earrings. It's a small spot, maybe 2-3 mm, but right on the front of the pearl. I thought about getting some metallic nail polish and touching it up...?

Buffing will possibly not work then. I'd hate to make it worse.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The nail polish would not be good for the nacre, but it's your call.

Is it possible it's not really so noticeable? Don't forget people will be seeing them at a social distance, not scrutinizing them close up.
And besides, pearls are made by living creatures, not in factories, so it's okay for them to have little flaws. My pearls all have flaws.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Probably not noticeable :)

Thanks for your feedback.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
do you have a picture of it

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results