carat
color
clarity

White south sea pearls perspective shots - size

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I am looking into buying a big statement strand of wss and struggle with visualizing the size.

I inherited a long strand that's 1m long with 9.5-12mm pearls (only 5 pearls are actually 12 mm) . Those overall aren't big enough for the look I want. I guess a necklace with mostly 12mm pearls would be OK. I have seen a strand with 11.5-16 mm pearls at an auction site. It's on a black dummy, (upper body, no head) and doesn't look that big. Upon request they confirmed the size and sent pics with calipers. So the biggest pearl really is 16 mm.

On eBay I found several Pics with 15-16mm earrings on a dummy with a head in profile view and they looked ping pong ball size. So I think their dummy is extra small to make the pearls look bigger.
Do you have perspective pictures of pearl necklaces around or/and bigger than 12mm?
Tia

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
16mm is large, even for white south sea. You aren't going to get much bigger (maybe 17 but a 17 round would be super expensive all on its own).
A necklace like this will cost thousands, buy a cheapo shell pearls necklace first to try it.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
depending upon length could be really heavy

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
16mm is large, even for white south sea. You aren't going to get much bigger (maybe 17 but a 17 round would be super expensive all on its own).
A necklace like this will cost thousands, buy a cheapo shell pearls necklace first to try it.
OK, thanks. I asked them to send me a real life shot of the necklace and will closely watch that auction (it's a very high end b&m auction house)

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
depending upon length could be really heavy
I want around 40c/42cm length. I think it should be fine weight wise, but I but you're right, the full 1m opera length one I have has a nice heft to it

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a pic of my fw ripples. The rope is 35cm 11-13.5mm pearls. I love the size of these pearls but they are heavy. Studs are 10mm fw metallics.
IMG_20180605_094220.jpg

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And a pic at full length.
MVIMG_20180209_093039.jpg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My baroque WSS are 9.1-13.7mm. This necklace is 18" long.

baroque WSS 9.1-13.7mm.jpeg

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just realized that I have given all lenght measurements in centimeter and that the lenght of my rope was wrong also...

So I HAVE 125 CM = 49.2 inches
I am looking into buying 42 cm de = 16.5 inches

amoline

Shiny_Rock
Remember that because pearl strand lengths are measured from the center and not the diameter of the pearls that bigger pearls will wear shorter than they appear (because the outside of the pearls rest against the back of your neck)

Post photos when you find your strand!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Remember that because pearl strand lengths are measured from the center and not the diameter of the pearls that bigger pearls will wear shorter than they appear (because the outside of the pearls rest against the back of your neck)

Post photos when you find your strand!
Very good point! Thanks for the heads up. I'll try to find a way to try on a bigger strand IRL.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results