shape
carat
color
clarity

white sapphire questions...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

goon

Rough_Rock
hello,

i''m 23 and just recently got my ear re-pierced (for the third time, hopefully this time it will stick). anyway, i''ve been looking for a nice earring online and diamonds seem to be a bit out of my price range, though i wanted to stick with a natural gem, so i''ve been looking at white ceylon sapphires.

first of all, i believe i found a suitable gem for my ear, http://www.riogems.com/sa61r-2.html. yet, it''s a loose gem, so i need to get it mounted somewhere.

my first question is if any of you have heard of this site or have done business with them. my second and third question are where can i get this gem mounted and how much do you think it will cost? although i''m looking for a large stone, will this be too big to mount? thanks again.

riogems

Shiny_Rock
Hi -

I post here from time to time (I''m the Rio Gems owner). I don''t think this is too big for an earring. It will fit in any 6mm round mounting. You can save additional money if you want with another natural stone - white topaz. A 6mm round white topaz should be about $5-$10 retail. You will also have to decide if you want it mounted in white gold or yellow gold when you are searching for mountings.

goon

Rough_Rock
thanks for responding adam.

well, to be honest, i don't mind spending the money. i mean, i don't want to go crazy, but i after going through some jewelry/gem/diamond forums tonight (and i knew pretty much nothing about stones) i wouldn't mind spending the 90 dollars or so for the gem alone. i like that it's a strong gem, the size, shape, cut and price all seem right for me. especially after reading the multiple postings on colorless sapphire gems. though i'm still curious, where would be the best place to get this stone mounted? would a mall jeweler suffice? if i was looking at doing yellow gold, how much do you think it would cost?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you asked RioGems to mount it for you or are you looking for something specific. I would think for a new piercing you are better to go with a classic plain mounting.

tonygemma

Rough_Rock
If you''re not completely decided on the white sapphire another great alternative is White Zircon. Natural, (heated) with all the sparkle of a diamond. I just purchased a few 6mm rounds very reasonably. Also bought a 6.5mm round pink that is amazing.

TonyD

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2006 4:15:50 PM
Author: tonygemma
If you''re not completely decided on the white sapphire another great alternative is White Zircon. Natural, (heated) with all the sparkle of a diamond. I just purchased a few 6mm rounds very reasonably. Also bought a 6.5mm round pink that is amazing.

TonyD
Thats what I was going to say, Zircon would have a lot more sparkle and fire than either topaz or sapphire.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
TonyD you know you cant talk about gemstones like that without pictures :}
or is there a thread on em I missed?

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Just a note...if you just got your ear repierced and it hasn''t had at least several months to heal, this might be too heavy to put in right now. Certainly move forward getting an earring made with all the details you want but don''t put it in yet as you''ll be looking into your 4th repiercing!

Many people change the earring too soon, never letting the hole heal completely, end up with irritation or a droopy hole and then have to start over. Why is this your 3rd attempt? Is it possible you have a metal allergy in which case you need to be careful about what the posts are made out of.

goon

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/12/2006 6:11:14 PM
Author: swingirl
Just a note...if you just got your ear repierced and it hasn''t had at least several months to heal, this might be too heavy to put in right now. Certainly move forward getting an earring made with all the details you want but don''t put it in yet as you''ll be looking into your 4th repiercing!

Many people change the earring too soon, never letting the hole heal completely, end up with irritation or a droopy hole and then have to start over. Why is this your 3rd attempt? Is it possible you have a metal allergy in which case you need to be careful about what the posts are made out of.

well, i got my ear pierced in 3rd grade, but i always had problems with it because of a allergic reaction to fake gold. i then got them repierced in high school and actually wore earrings for a while, though for some reason, when i tried to put an earring back in recently, the hole had closed up. anyway, i will look at zircon, thanks for the advice.

tonygemma

Rough_Rock
Sorry Strmrdr I haven''t had a chance to take pics yet. Just got the white zircons yesterday and I''ve been preoccupied as of late. I''ll take some pics soon and post them. I probably shouldn''t tell you about the new sunstones then...
9.gif

TonyD

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results