shape
carat
color
clarity

White or Ivory?

Ivory dress... so, white or ivory shirt for Guys?

• Ivory

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • White

• Show the results

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
...Tuxedo shirt

My less than helpful sales associate at MW this weekend said that since my dress is ivory, I "HAD" to have the guys in ivory shirts. I''m not sure I agree. I think a crisp white shirt looks really nice, and worry that Ivory will look worn.

I voiced my concern, and she showed me a picture of how great an ivory shirt looked... in a brown suit. Duh.
20.gif
Thanks but no thanks. Didn''t appease my mind at all.

What did you do? Are you doing? Do you have pictures of Ivory dress with Ivory shirt (and black suit/tux), or Ivory dress with White shirt?

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Ivory tux shirts look dingy to me...I had a "diamond white" dress - which is almost ivory and my DH wore not only a white shirt, but a white tie as well - and it looked perfectly fine - no one noticed/cared. I''d definitely go with a crisp white shirt - it just looks better
1.gif

Jena17

Shiny_Rock
I do like a crisp white shirt, BUT if your dress is going to be ivory I would go with Ivory. That's what I am doing. I think in person you won't be able to tell if everyone is wearing ivory, there is nothing to compare it to. If you put a white shirt next to an ivory shirt, yes you can tell but if everyone is wearing the same shade of ivory it will look better in my opionion. And especially in pictures, I would think you would be able to tell.

ams0124

Brilliant_Rock
I voted for white...I think it''s classic...ivory dress or not.

I also don''t think anyone will notice one way or the other....It''s pretty much what you think looks the best.
9.gif

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crisp white!! My dress is of-white/champagne and Mr. Kama''s shirt is white as white can be!

Jena17

Shiny_Rock
Oh ok, I just re-read your question. I thought you meant an ivory shirt in a brown tux... but I get it now, that is the example the lady showed you. And I would stick with the ivory shirt if it was in a brown tux, BUT since now I understand you are having a black tux, then yes, for sure a Crisp White Shirt!! Sorry I got confused!
26.gif

amcgookin

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm this is a great question meresal. So glad you asked because I am having the same dilema! Interesting that most people are saying white becuase I was thinking it had to be ivory too. I like you though like a crisp white shirt better.

Anyone got pictures out there of a ivory dress and white shirt combo?

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 12:43:45 PM
Author: AlisonHB
Hmmm this is a great question meresal. So glad you asked because I am having the same dilema! Interesting that most people are saying white becuase I was thinking it had to be ivory too. I like you though like a crisp white shirt better.

Well, he''s not in a tux, and it''s not 100% WHITE white, but his shirt was definitely more on the white side than mine:

geckodaniwedding3.JPG

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Given that Men's Wearhouse's ivory shirts look dingy as a college student's sheets, white.

We spent three weekends searching for an ivory shirt that didn't look dingy (and the ones we found don't, imho). But MW's do. We ended up renting only the vests & ties from MW... everyone bought their own shirts (and suits, if they didn't already have one).

Non-dingy ivory (on my husband):

museyweddingpropics010.jpg

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
For the record, this isn''t my husband
3.gif
it''s my grandfather. White shirt, ivory dress. Feel free to form your own opinions, but my opinion is that my dress looks dingy next to his shirt!

museysivorydressnexttowhiteshirt.jpg

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 1:28:02 PM
Author: musey
For the record, this isn't my husband
3.gif
it's my grandfather. White shirt, ivory dress. Feel free to form your own opinions, but my opinion is that my dress looks dingy next to his shirt!
And my ivory dress next to my husband's ivory shirt, in two different lighting situations. They were a pretty good match.

museysivorydressnexttoivoryshirt.jpg

Jena17

Shiny_Rock
Im changing my mind again... The white shirt does make the ivory dress look dingy.. (No offense Musey.. Sorry) I would go with an ivory shirt. But maybe look around for better looking ivory shirts than at MW.

DiamondsforDee

Shiny_Rock
A white shirt will make your ivory dress look ivory. Not dirty or dingy. It''s ivory not white so it won''t look white. It is supposed to look warmer and yellower than white. I think ivory shirts are a pretty big fashion faux pas. Plus they are never the exact same shade as the dress so your dress still looks like a different color than the shirt. Stick with black tuxedos and white shirts. Colored tuxedos and non white shirts will date your wedding as these are combinations that (thankfully) won''t be in style forever.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
After seeing the photos, I think that the ivory shirt looks far better than the white.

amcgookin

Shiny_Rock
Musey - Can I ask where you found your ivory shirts? My FI and the rest of the guys in the wedding party bought suits from MW, but we still need to find shirts. I am still going back and forth on the white vs ivory thing....

amcgookin

Shiny_Rock
Oh and the tie too.... where did ya get it? I like it! It is exactly the combo I want my FI to wear
emteeth.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 1:57:16 PM
Oh and the tie too.... where did ya get it? I like it! It is exactly the combo I want my FI to wear
emteeth.gif
I would love to know where the shirts came from as well. Those are nice and very crisp! The ties are from MW, we are using the same ones
37.gif

Musey: I''m also now thinking that I like the look of a black vest with the tie, than a white vest with white tie. Thanks for posting the pictures, I really needed to see the difference!!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 1:34:40 PM
Author: Jena17
Im changing my mind again... The white shirt does make the ivory dress look dingy.. (No offense Musey.. Sorry) I would go with an ivory shirt. But maybe look around for better looking ivory shirts than at MW.
None taken, I was the one who said it made my dress look dingy in the first place!
3.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 1:56:03 PM
Musey - Can I ask where you found your ivory shirts? My FI and the rest of the guys in the wedding party bought suits from MW, but we still need to find shirts. I am still going back and forth on the white vs ivory thing....
We got them at Cafe Coton: www.cafecoton.com

They don''t have a lot of locations and aren''t carried anywhere else, BUT they handle orders very well. We and our groomsmen live in LA, so they all went in and tried things on... but the dads didn''t live near a Cafe Coton location, so we gave them their measurements and they picked the sizes and even did some alterations on them. It''s a great store.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 2:09:48 PM
Author: meresal
Date: 2/25/2009 1:57:16 PM
emteeth.gif
I would love to know where the shirts came from as well. Those are nice and very crisp! The ties are from MW, we are using the same ones
37.gif
Meresal's right:

Date: 2/25/2009 1:17:17 PM
We ended up renting only the vests & ties from MW... everyone bought their own shirts (and suits, if they didn't already have one).

Date: 2/25/2009 2:09:48 PM
Author: meresal
Musey: I'm also now thinking that I like the look of a black vest with the tie, than a white vest with white tie. Thanks for posting the pictures, I really needed to see the difference!!
I'm glad it helped! My husband tried on both options, and settled on the black vest. I thought it looked a little more modern/formal, with the line of the black coming up higher.

Here's a pic of the men, the groomsmen had black ties (that was the only difference between their ensembles):

museysmen.jpg

amcgookin

Shiny_Rock
Oh good. I live in Orange County so I could always make a trip up to Santa Monica. Do you remember how much the shirts costs? If you don''t mind me asking
emsmile.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 1:38:52 PM
Author: DiamondsforDee
A white shirt will make your ivory dress look ivory. Not dirty or dingy. It's ivory not white so it won't look white. It is supposed to look warmer and yellower than white.
It seems to be a really personal thing, probably depending on one's color perception, lighting, as well as the shades of white/ivory in question.

I think ivory shirts are a pretty big fashion faux pas. Plus they are never the exact same shade as the dress so your dress still looks like a different color than the shirt.
I've never heard of that! Maybe the rules are different in LA
shrug1.gif
Thankfully, the ones we found were almost exactly the same shade as my dress. Since they are a very light/soft shade of ivory, I think they would have gone well with just about anything. I'm including some pics for reference below. Can you tell which shirts, other than my husband's, are ivory? And which are white?

bothshirtcolorsmixedtogether.jpg

(Sorry meresal for flooding your thread with pics, I thought some side-by-side might be useful!)

Stick with black tuxedos and white shirts. Colored tuxedos and non white shirts will date your wedding as these are combinations that (thankfully) won't be in style forever.
While I'd tend to agree that colored tuxedos go in and out of style, I don't think that a simple ivory shirt will date anything. My hairstyle and dress style will date my pics before the ivory shirts will
3.gif
Again, see the pics I've posted. Do they scream "2008" to you?
2.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 2:29:30 PM

Date: 2/25/2009 1:56:03 PM
We got them at Cafe Coton: www.cafecoton.com

They don''t have a lot of locations and aren''t carried anywhere else, BUT they handle orders very well. We and our groomsmen live in LA, so they all went in and tried things on... but the dads didn''t live near a Cafe Coton location, so we gave them their measurements and they picked the sizes and even did some alterations on them. It''s a great store.
Tiny TJ:
lol, I just located the "English" button on that website... I found that they have a store in Dallas, and was fine until I needed to pick out the certain style of shirt. I was like, "WTF is going on here??" You''d never guess I''ve been to dozens of countries. Ignort American ehh?
20.gif
38.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 2:39:41 PM
Oh good. I live in Orange County so I could always make a trip up to Santa Monica. Do you remember how much the shirts costs? If you don't mind me asking
emsmile.gif
Of course not! They were a bit pricey, though I suppose I'm not used to pricing out men's shirts. We got them on sale for $67 each (plus I think about $15 for alterations - those LA boys wanted 'em fitted
3.gif
), I think normal price was $80 but I don't remember exactly. For sure under $100 but I'm a bit unsure where between $80-100. The SAs were immensely helpful and very patient with us, especially through the ordering-for-our-dads process. The shirt-buying experience was one of the best of our wedding planning processes (how weird is that?), so I can't recommend them highly enough.

Oh! Side note: I don't know if all of their shirts are french cuff... but I remember getting excited because part of our requirement was that they have french cuffs and we FINALLY found the perfect ivory shirts that - TA-DA - had french cuffs
3.gif

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Meresal- I originally voted white but now I am not sure what I think. I really do like the look of the ivory shirt/tie and ivory dress Musey posted. Really flows nicely together. On the other hand, the pics posted of ivory dress/white shirt aren''t bad! When I look at wedding pics I spend more time looking at the bride''s gown, her hair, the expression on their faces, and backdrop rather than how much the gown/shirt and tie coordinate. Maybe this will help ease your mind about how things will look.

But... if you know this will really bother you then maybe you will have some luck at the place where Musey found her DH''s shirt and tie.

Man just just when you think that wedding planning will be simple because you pay so much attention to details you log on to PS and find people debating the merits of white or ivory shirts!
3.gif
My gown is ivory so I can imagine that I will be running into this dilemma sometime this year.

I love how much you make me think ladies! Just wait until I get into the meat of my planning... I''m going to be everyone''s least favorite thread starter.
41.gif

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
I voted ivory because I think a white shirt just looks too stark against the softer ivory color of a dress. And now seeing musey''s gorgeous pics I definitely am firm in my opinion. And I disagree with Diamonds, I think that colored tuxes will date a wedding, but no one notices the shirts much unless they stand out in some way, and I think that ivory just fades into the scenery unlike a crisp white shirt. And I agree with Musey that the dress will date the wedding far faster than a shirt ever could. Unless it has baby blue ruffles on it like my father''s!
3.gif

But I think this is a great thread because I had been wondering about the whole ivory vs white dilemma for awhile myself.

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Meresal,

Don''t do it, lol. I am getting all the guys stuff from MW too, and their "ivory" was so dirty looking. I have a off white/ivory dress too, but unless your dress is more yellowish ivory, I would stay away from the MW''s "ivory".

However, if you can find a pretty ivory one, than go for it. However, with the guys already having to rent the tux, etc., we didn''t want ours to have to worry about paying for another shirt. Just something to keep in mind...

mjso

Shiny_Rock
When I ordered my dress, the woman who owns the bridal salon made a big deal about not getting ivory shirts for the guys. My dress is a Casablanca and in the Ivory color, when I tried it on I couldn''t really tell that it wasn''t white, so it might be a lighter ivory, or perhaps skin tone plays into that as well.

She showed me a bunch of pro-photo pictures that she had gotten from brides in Ivory dresses along with their grooms. Some had white shirts, some had ivory shirts. The Ivory shirts definitely looked darker than the Ivory dresses and I couldn''t tell the difference between the white shirts and the Ivory dresses.

I''d say it partially depends on the dress/designer and fabric. I think some ivory dresses look way more "non-white" than others. I purposely didn''t tell the MW guy that my dress is Ivory because I didn''t want him insisting that we get Ivory shirts. The guys are going to wear white shirts and I''ll have my "ivory" dress.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 3:50:46 PM
Author: mjso
I''d say it partially depends on the dress/designer and fabric. I think some ivory dresses look way more ''non-white'' than others. I purposely didn''t tell the MW guy that my dress is Ivory because I didn''t want him insisting that we get Ivory shirts. The guys are going to wear white shirts and I''ll have my ''ivory'' dress.
Definitely!

And the MW ivory shirts are EXTRA yucky
14.gif
not all ivory shirts are, for sure.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 3:50:46 PM
Author: mjso
When I ordered my dress, the woman who owns the bridal salon made a big deal about not getting ivory shirts for the guys. My dress is a Casablanca and in the Ivory color, when I tried it on I couldn''t really tell that it wasn''t white, so it might be a lighter ivory, or perhaps skin tone plays into that as well.

She showed me a bunch of pro-photo pictures that she had gotten from brides in Ivory dresses along with their grooms. Some had white shirts, some had ivory shirts. The Ivory shirts definitely looked darker than the Ivory dresses and I couldn''t tell the difference between the white shirts and the Ivory dresses.

I''d say it partially depends on the dress/designer and fabric. I think some ivory dresses look way more ''non-white'' than others. I purposely didn''t tell the MW guy that my dress is Ivory because I didn''t want him insisting that we get Ivory shirts. The guys are going to wear white shirts and I''ll have my ''ivory'' dress.
What about the vests and tie? Did you order white then?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results