shape
carat
color
clarity

White Gold

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ubahawtee

Rough_Rock
My wedding rings are white gold, and i have only had them since May. They are 18k gold and turning a bit yellow, how can i prevent this. I am going to get them dipped again, but is there a way to avoid this?

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
I wonder about this to I have a 1930''s white gold and ruby ring that was my Great Aunts and has never been dipped however it looks as white as any of my new pieces. Why is it that some pieces holds their color better than others?
33.gif

CdnBlingGal

Brilliant_Rock
You can''t prevent it from yellowing since your rings are plated with rhoduim to make it look white. However, that being said, if your rings were dipped good (thick coat) with rhoduim, the plating should last over a year before needing to get dipped. Some people say that the rhoduim wears off with your body chemistry so that is possible.

I purchased my wedding ring from a ''maul'' jeweller, it was just a plain 14K wg band. The rhoduim wore off in less than 3 months. I had it redipped at my jewellers 1 1/2 years ago and it is still white. My e-ring which is 14K wg as well, has not worn off at all and I''ve had for a long time.

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2006 11:41:17 AM
Author: angel_nieves
I wonder about this to I have a 1930''s white gold and ruby ring that was my Great Aunts and has never been dipped however it looks as white as any of my new pieces. Why is it that some pieces holds their color better than others?
33.gif
Is there an inscription of the manufacturer on the inside of the band? I have a thin 18k white gold ring (my grandma''s) by Belais in the 1920''s, and it is still white without being dipped.

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
I always wonder about white gold too. My grandmothers e-ring and WB are both white gold and have never been dipped. Yet they both look shiny and new after 40 years! I wonder what the difference is?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
It depends on your body chemstry. Some people''s skin wears it off faster than others. I have a WG ring that has turned to a light butter color (still much lighter than YG) but it was after 3 years. I still have to get it re-dipped. I believe it is pretty inexpensive to do. One of the cons of WG.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2006 12:40:13 PM
Author: cdt1101
I always wonder about white gold too. My grandmothers e-ring and WB are both white gold and have never been dipped. Yet they both look shiny and new after 40 years! I wonder what the difference is?
I have my great-grandmother''s engagement ring which was circa 1929, and is WG and it still looks as white as can be and has never been dipped.

They must have just had more palladium in the white gold bck then. . .

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
I posted the same question a few months ago on why the older rings made of 14kt WG need to be rhodium plated less often than the newer ones do, and I forget which expert chimed in, but he said the older rings have more nickel in them. The nickel keeps them from needing replating so often. I don''t think it''s used as much now b/c a lot of people are allergic to it.

sarita

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, it has to do with the alloys in it. Although I heard palladium white gold appears whiter than nickle white gold. Also, 18k WG is always going to be warmer naturally than 14k white because there are more parts gold and less alloy. I kinda prefer 14k white for this reason, and it costs less too.
1.gif
There is something to be said about the cool steely look of platinum, but like SDL I like that gold stays shiner (and less scratched looking) longer.

Petunia

Rough_Rock
I''ll add my two cents........ I have two 14k white gold e-ring sets and neither of them have turned yellow. One set is rather old (20+ years) and if it was ever rhodium plated, I don''t know. I do know that for those 20+ years all I did was keep it clean--no plating. I also know that my current e-ring and band have been rhodium plated twice since I''ve had them. The plating merely wears off but not to a light yellow color. It''s more like a scratched silver or less shiney in appearance which shows up mainly on the bottom of the rings and also where they rub together. I went almost two years before replating them the first time around and about one year after that. I suppose if the rings were turning yellow as the plating wore off, I would do it more frequently. Thank goodness this isn''t the case!

Helen

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results