shape
carat
color
clarity

White Gold Why 18K and not 14K?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hdejarne

Rough_Rock
I''m buying an engagement ring, and I''m trying to decide between 14K and 18K white gold. I did a search on these forum''s and it seems that the concensus is that 18K is the better choice. But why is it better? Does anyone know what the specific diffences are between them? What would the difference in cost be?

Thanks

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
With 18K you're getting more of a precious metal, while with 14K you're getting a larger helping of nickel. 14K would be harder, but 18K is more valuable.

There may be more practical reasons as well, but IMO for something like an engagement ring 18K (preferably alloyed with palladium) is the way to go.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
It's a subtle thing, but in my opinion 18k white is whiter, brighter, heavier and classier. Usually costs about 20% more than 14k white.

On the flipside, 14k is a little harder, scratches less and is more durable than 18k. Again, a very subtle difference. And it's 20% cheaper!

chas

Rough_Rock
Hi hdejarne,

If I were you, I think that I would contact some of the custom ring manufactures who work with these different carat golds on a regular basis. Explain to them the type of setting that you are using and ask them which carat type (14k or 18k) would be best for your particular situation.

Chas

hdejarne

Rough_Rock
I have another question about the care of 14K white gold. Will it lose it's luster over time? What can I do to keep it looking good?

Thanks,

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
One word in making it look good is "Rhoduim"

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
What Iceman is trying to say
2.gif
is that most white gold in this country, especially if it's 14K gold, is plated in rhodium. In order to make white gold, yellow gold is most often alloyed with nickel--which doesn't mask the yellow very well. Thus, the white gold is then plated in silvery-white rhodium. Over time, the rhodium wears away and you have to bring it to your jeweler to have it re-plated.

If, though, you seek out 18K white gold that's a palladium instead of a nickel alloy, you don't have to worry about the rhodium--palladium does a good job of masking yellow. Plus, it's hypoallergenic to boot.

jlrobe

Rough_Rock
Hmm. That is an interesting comment. Then what if 14K white gold is also alloyed with palladium or silver. Then it would seem that 14K has more pallidium than the 18K case, and thus would be whiter.
Do they not make 14K white gold with palladium? And if they did, wouldnt 14K be both stronger and whiter?

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
jlrobe -

MOST 14k white gold is made with nickel because its cheaper. But I am sure you could find a palladium alloy in 14l if you asked or requested it.

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
A local jeweler told me that 19k white gold is the way to go if you want white gold, and that you won't have to plate it with rhodium. It was the first (and only time) I've ever heard of 19k white gold - can anyone shed more light on it for me?

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
I've heard great things about 19kt gold- that it maintains its whiteness like platinum and scratches less easily than either plat or gold. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be very readily available.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results