shape
carat
color
clarity

White gold vs yellow gold for colorless diamonds

EAB

Rough_Rock
Interesting to see those pictures Mamajemmy. Personally I just don’t care for the yellow gold with white prongs. I understand the reasoning, but the two tones would bother me much more than the possible small amount of reflection of yellow gold on the diamond

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting to see those pictures Mamajemmy. Personally I just don’t care for the yellow gold with white prongs. I understand the reasoning, but the two tones would bother me much more than the possible small amount of reflection of yellow gold on the diamond

Same for me. A plain solitaire looks ungainly to me when it is two-tone - there are other designs I like in two-tone but that’s not one of them. Once again, it’s down to personal preference.

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
Same for me. A plain solitaire looks ungainly to me when it is two-tone - there are other designs I like in two-tone but that’s not one of them. Once again, it’s down to personal preference.

I can totally see that. I’ve just been going back and forth. I think I like all the options which leaves me unable to pick any option! Lol

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock

Yeah— I don’t prefer any of the settings they photographed and there’s no picture of the setting I like two tone to see if I’d like it.

I’m coming from an H that was set in platinum and wondering if I should just go with white gold, as that’s what I’m most used to. I guess I’m nervous that if I do the same metal color I’ll notice the drop in stone color and won’t like it as much. Like in need to change it up a bit. That probably sounds silly. I just want to love it!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both of these diamonds are F color. The CBI is set in platinum while the pear is set in 14k yellow gold.

20171014_192733.jpg

sunandsky

Shiny_Rock
Is the issue that custom is more expensive and/or not returnable? If so, and you really can’t get anywhere with the decision ahead of ordering, you could get the non-returnable/cheaper one first, then return if needed for the other if it doesn’t work for you?

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
Both of these diamonds are F color. The CBI is set in platinum while the pear is set in 14k yellow gold.

20171014_192733.jpg

Wow!! Stunning!! Do you prefer one over the other? Does the pear have white metal prongs or yellow? I’m really just thinking there’s not a bad decision here.

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
This 100%. Although I'd always choose white metal for my "serious jewelry", I REALLY love rich 18K yellow gold bands with my erring!

I also love yellow gold bands! I had been wearing a simple yellow band with my platinum ring and I love the look of mixing metals in a stack.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also love yellow gold bands! I had been wearing a simple yellow band with my platinum ring and I love the look of mixing metals in a stack.

I mix metals in my stack all the time. 18K yellow gold, 18K rose gold and with platinum and white gold too. I love it.
I do not wear Bubbalah with all her bands but for illustrative purposes only.

bubbalahwithallbands.jpg.png

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a colorless IF .5 ascheer set in a deep 18k YG bezel, behind PINK, really pink nail 731179

nail polish. I understand a colorless stone can pick up color, but they are pretty damn white regardless. Go with what you like. You will be good.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
any thoughts?

F014AD8B-3654-4EF9-81AC-85A1B7DE1178.jpeg 45929FBC-A718-41F5-9CA8-2B118F78045A.jpeg DE1A7A35-BD18-4B42-8A3A-B0A8EAB26692.jpeg

I actually love it in yellow gold! I'd definitely go for 18K so you'd have the big contrast... it will look gorgeous. I'm kinda glad I already had my setting made before I found out how much I love the look of high karat YG with my skin tone, because trying to decide between plat and YG would've driven me crazy!! I've been toying with the idea of having Caysie do a YG Jovyn for me... but I digress.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mamajemmy, which one are you drawn to?

Is there any reason for hesitation for a certain color metal?

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
I mix metals in my stack all the time. 18K yellow gold, 18K rose gold and with platinum and white gold too. I love it.
I do not wear Bubbalah with all her bands but for illustrative purposes only.

bubbalahwithallbands.jpg.png

I love it alllllll!!!

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
@Mamajemmy, which one are you drawn to?

Is there any reason for hesitation for a certain color metal?

I like them all! All the jewelry I buy now is YG. I feel like it melts into my skin— but I also loved my platinum set and my earrings are white gold (though you can’t really see prongs)

I just want to showcase the diamond the best and to be as white as possible. I’m worried the yellow gold might tint the stone or that I won’t love the contrast between the white of the metal and the hint of the stone.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like them all! All the jewelry I buy now is YG. I feel like it melts into my skin— but I also loved my platinum set and my earrings are white gold (though you can’t really see prongs)

I just want to showcase the diamond the best and to be as white as possible. I’m worried the yellow gold might tint the stone or that I won’t love the contrast between the white of the metal and the hint of the stone.

I'm the same way -- I'm a yellow gold convert! I also love the way it looks on my skin, so I get you... RE it looking as white as possible, as long as you have prongs in white metal, I believe you are good. I used to believe that white metal made a diamond look whiter, but now I'm of the belief that the contrast provided by rich YG makes it POP and appear whiter.

How about going with white metal for the ring, then adding a rich yellow gold band next to it? That's how I wear mine almost every day. Let me see if I've still got a pic - be right back.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
464B106E-607C-46A0-B54C-1CC8B11190C9.jpeg

...ignore my Oompa Loompa coloring in this one. LOL
8A385482-EA06-4060-A738-874CE155A2A1.jpeg

...and the weird black spot in this one. What the heck??!!
0CFC5B68-B961-4607-AE79-C22174D01F4D.jpeg

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
I'm the same way -- I'm a yellow gold convert! I also love the way it looks on my skin, so I get you... RE it looking as white as possible, as long as you have prongs in white metal, I believe you are good. I used to believe that white metal made a diamond look whiter, but now I'm of the belief that the contrast provided by rich YG makes it POP and appear whiter.

How about going with white metal for the ring, then adding a rich yellow gold band next to it? That's how I wear mine almost every day. Let me see if I've still got a pic - be right back.

Thanks! I guess maybe I don’t love the two tone ring (Yellow band and white prongs) AS much as the solid ones. But I could be converted. I wear a beautiful thin gold band that was my grandmothers everyday and I loved the mix with my platinum band!

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock

Your set is perfection!! I want all the details. This makes me lean white gold!

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock

And what color is your stone??

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!! Stunning!! Do you prefer one over the other? Does the pear have white metal prongs or yellow? I’m really just thinking there’s not a bad decision here.

It has white gold prongs.

EAB

Rough_Rock
Mamajemmy I think if you do not love the two tone ring as much as a solid color setting you will NOT be converted. I’m afraid you’re using all the advice here, as helpful and well intentioned as it is, to convince yourself away from what you prefer. Mixing different color metal rings is different than mixing metals within one ring. Go with your gut

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results