shape
carat
color
clarity

White Gold VS Platium????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pugletlov

Rough_Rock
Will someone please help me? We were discussing this in a previous forum but I am still having questions about it all. My boyfriend and I just put money down on a ring and the jeweler convinced me to go with white gold instead of platium! But now I am hearing that everyone on the forum is thinking I should go with platium. This is going to be a great ring (2.56 Radiant cut with 2 traps) and I dont want to mess it up by going with the wrong medal. So what is everyones views on this??? Please help

dlg

Rough_Rock
I''m not an expert but I recently had to decide whether I wanted a white gold or platinum setting. I did some research on this forum and on the internet. Everything I read said that white gold scratches easier and tarnishes or turns color over time. However, no one knew when this color change would occur- could be decades from now. I wasn''t willing to chance it. I wear white gold other than that. But none of my other jewelry will be worn for as many years as the ring. So, if it is within your budget, why not get a platinum ring?

pugletlov

Rough_Rock
That is what I always thought as well, but in seeing my friends rings they always look so dull. And I cant recall why now but my jeweler said that you cant repolish the platium as often as the WG. I am so confused! I thought my biggest decision was going to be what kind of cut of diamond not what kind of medal to use
40.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
My ering is in platinum and hasn''t needed to be polished yet, it''s very shiny. Over time platinum will develop a patina, but that can be polished very easliy. WG can turn a tad yellow over time . So it''s a matter of what you want really. If you can swing it, I''d go for platinum.
2.gif

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Kaleigh. Platinum is a wonderful metal. There is no reason it can't be polished as much as gold. More so, in fact, since the metal is displaced rather than removed, so you can polish it more without wearing it away. White gold will likely turn slightly yellow once the rhodium wears off. This can be reapplied, but it can be pricey to do that every six months or so. For a diamond that size, I would definitely go with platinum!!

snuga

Brilliant_Rock
I think I am the odd one out here because I prefer white gold...
20.gif
only because I personally don''t like the patina that platinum gets over time. If you do decide to get white gold, certain jewelers will do free rhodium plating on your ring every 6 months if you buy from them.

I think it''s a personal choice, weigh out the pros/cons of each metal, decide what qualities and characteristics are most important to you, and go from there.

Good Luck!
1.gif

pugletlov

Rough_Rock
Does anyone know why a wholesale jeweler would talk a customer out of going platium? I mean platium would have been more expensive so why would he talk me into WG?? I am just slightly confused thats all.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/22/2005 12:25:45 AM
Author: pugletlov
Does anyone know why a wholesale jeweler would talk a customer out of going platium? I mean platium would have been more expensive so why would he talk me into WG?? I am just slightly confused thats all.
i was talked out of platinum as well for what couldve have been a pricy custom job.........i ve been told its considered more durable/harder when their is lots of pave and other detail............dont know if its true

pugletlov

Rough_Rock
I am wondering if he wanted me to go WG because it is easier to work with when making his own setting.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/22/2005 12:25:45 AM
Author: pugletlov

Actually, when I was shopping for my new rings, I asked many jewelers what they would prefer...would you believe ALL of them (no joke here!) recommended WG over platinum??? There were different reasons, such as cost, weight, patina, etc. but not one of them told me to go platinum....Go figure?!
33.gif

My jeweler has replated my ring at no cost to me to date...I don't know if this will be an ongoing service or just for now, but when I bring in my rings for the 6-month check-up, they've replated it for me when it's needed it (which has only been once so far and now I realize that it was my own fault that the plating eroded so quickly)...

pugletlov

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for that response. I was starting to think that I was going crazy or picked a crazy jeweler! In looking over these forums almost everyone says go platium so I am sitting here wondering what kind of jeweler do I have here that is recommending going with a medal that is less strong and that appears to go yellow after a while.

fisiogrl

Shiny_Rock
I went with platinum - I have always prefered it.

I like the patina, kinda a modern ''non-shiny'' look. My friends don''t seem to need to replate their white gold though...

Also, just so happens that with my setting all you really see is the diamonds! I also love the weight, to me a heavier ring just feels more solid.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
There''s nothing wrong with white gold and it does have its advantages, so I don''t think there''s an absolute right or wrong here. There are pros and cons to each and it''s just a matter of deciding which feature is most important to you. I''m sure you can line up 100 jewelers and you''ll find an array of answers. Here''s a helpful tutorial from Supbercert: http://www.superbcert.com/ring_metals.html

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
I''ve had rings and necklaces in white gold, but they either turned yellow or they broke. From then on, I opted to have my current wedding set and necklace in platinum. Best decision ever! The metal is as just as white, shiny and strong as when I first wore it. The weight also feels nice. If you have the extra money, go with platinum.

I like knowing that I don''t have to worry about my jewelry, and my diamonds are held securely in place. And they do take a beating!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results