shape
carat
color
clarity

white gold vs. platinum

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tiffany

Rough_Rock
Can you really tell the difference between white gold and platinum rings?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
An expert can feel the heavier weight of platinum. There is a slight to moderate difference in the degree of whiteness or grayness. Platinum is more gray / white than white gold, which generally shows a somewhat yellowish cast.

Rhodium plating masks the yellowness of white gold, but the plating does not last a long time on a ring. It lasts very well with earring or pendants...In beteween for bracelets.

White gold is fine for nearly all uses. Platinum is the metal of choice for finely crafted, hand made items. It is a better metal for the craftsman to use for several reasons, but has little to do with appearance of the end product.

PlatinumDiamond

Shiny_Rock
I sure can!

Most of the time I can tell just by looking, even if the white gold rings are rhodium plating I usually know.
If the white gold rings are not rhodium plated, then there is no comparison between the two when it comes to color.
Rhodium plated white gold does look very similiar to platinum in color, just I can see the difference because of it's type of gleam that rhodium plating has compared to platinum.

Holding the rings, oh yes! The weight and feel of platinum is a true give away!
22.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results