shape
carat
color
clarity

White Gold vs. Platinum for Satin Finish

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lori_vanness

Rough_Rock
I am planning on setting a round brilliant diamond into a bezel setting, with a band that has a satin finish. Seeing as my band will be a satin finish, would platinum or white gold be a better metal? Or does the satin finish really make a difference in deciding between white gold and platinum?

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
wow that will be pretty. platinum without the rhodium?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
brushed platinum will move into a nice patina

brushed white gold will be comparitively lifeless

If you want to re- apply your finish it can often be done with steel wool

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neither is bad, however, if the WG is a yellowish kind matte finish shows the color of the metal allot better than high polish. The grayish palladium W looks cute with a satin finish, with aslightly darker gray than platinum. Rhodium? N''ah...
8.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/14/2006 6:08:38 AM
Author: valeria101

Rhodium? N''ah...
8.gif
Ana there is a strange phenonomon (sp?) that many of you expert jewellery junkies have an intense hatred of rhodium plating.

In my lifetime of experiance most people who know little or nothing about jewels like the "princess sparkle" of rhodium on new things - WG, platinum, palladium etc. In the case of brushed satin finished goodies - the effect is also positive.

It is not easy for everyone to ''visualize'' the ''feelings'' they get from the different colors and shades (and I am not including poor yellowish colored wg''s). I think if people dont know better - they are safer always to start out with rhodium plating.

I have the benefit of a worksop 3 steps away and I often take people out and we look at the raw 6mm square bar in each alloy and metal - and we go and apply various types of brushed or florentine finishes. But even after all that - most couples opt for rhodium for the wow factor when the ring is presented to family and friends.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its not that I hate how rhodium finish looks, it doesn't quite look right compared to what I know gold, platinum and silver should look like.

Popularity is a bitch...
5.gif

lori_vanness

Rough_Rock
Garry - So based on your reply, are you indicating that Platinum will wear better in the long run with a satin finish, rather than White Gold? I had wanted Platinum from the get-go, but my Jeweler is trying to convince me that White Gold will maintain the satin finish better and longer than Platinum. Also, my Jeweler is indicating that the new "modern" white golds don''t have to be re-dipped. Have you heard of this type of White Gold? And if so, what would be its constituents?

Thanks!!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/14/2006 11:36:42 AM
Author: lori_vanness
Garry - So based on your reply, are you indicating that Platinum will wear better in the long run with a satin finish, rather than White Gold? I had wanted Platinum from the get-go, but my Jeweler is trying to convince me that White Gold will maintain the satin finish better and longer than Platinum. Also, my Jeweler is indicating that the new 'modern' white golds don't have to be re-dipped. Have you heard of this type of White Gold? And if so, what would be its constituents?

Thanks!!
If he is uncomfortable working with platinum, find someone else.

The finish will have to be periodically reapplied.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ana the wine that a conissuer likes (spelling?) may not have general appeal.
2.gif

there needs not be a hidden motive for a jeweler to not recomend platinum - they might be advising to put more $ into the diamond and less into the mount etc.

It is possibly true that platinum will scratch up faster than some of the tougher white golds.

But many people who like a brushed or satin finish would also like the patina that platinum develops rather quickly because of the unusual way that iit is easier to dent and scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results