shape
carat
color
clarity

white gold vs platinum for pave stones

AEM27

Rough_Rock
Someone told me that you have to remove all the stones to repolish white gold and it's quite a process? is this true and should white gold me avoided for pave stones?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty sure that's not true about white gold. My engagement ring/wedding band is white gold and I've had it replated and taken it to Jewelers for cleaning, etc, and never heard that.

AEM27

Rough_Rock
so you don't have to take the pave diamonds out first to replate it (then put them back in)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
so you don't have to take the pave diamonds out first to replate it (then put them back in)

Absolutely not. I've had it replated multiple times for like $30-$40, with no mention of stone removal. I cannot imagine they removed all the stones in my ring both times and never said anything.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definately not.
No stones are removed for simple cleaning.
However some gems ie Emeralds, pearls and Opals usually need to be unset if there is solderwork being done, as they can’t handle high heat.
White gold is often Rhodium plated because 18ct white gold is a bit yellow looking and Rhodium plating is a beautiful, pure bright shiny colour. It wears off so you usually need a redip yearly ($50 - $80).
Platinium, I don’t think they Rhodium plate? Anyhow, Platinum is more like a grey silver colour.
I’ve been told that Platinium is better for pave settings as it is less malleable than 18ct gold ie prongs can bend/move with high karat gold.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results