shape
carat
color
clarity

White gold vs. platinum for a pave band

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

michela002

Shiny_Rock

Can you have a pave band with white gold, or does it have to be platinum? E.g. In the band pictured is white gold an option? I know about the weight/price/scratching/dulling/thinning etc differences between the two metals, but I don''t quite understand whether you can do exactly the same stuff with white gold that you can with platinum.

kozminskyfinal2.jpg

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, you can do the exact same designs with WG as you can with platinum. Basically, the only issue would be whether or not a particular designer makes a setting in WG and if he/she doesn''t then you can always have a custom replica made in WG. You''d probably want both bands to be either WG or platinum and possibly have the prongs holding the main diamond made with platinum since this metal is more durable AND will stay more white for longer.

Hope this answers your question.

michela002

Shiny_Rock
Thanks!

My ring will be getting custom made, so the choice is mine. And I did hear that platinum can "wear out" white gold, so if I pick white gold it''ll be for both my engagement and wedding band. I just think maybe the money for platinum could be better spent on the shiny object that is the focus of the ring! Lol. And all my other jewellery (necklace, earrings etc) are white gold. It just makes more sense, really.

I didn''t consider having the prongs made of platinum though - great advice, thank you!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results