shape
carat
color
clarity

White Gold vs. Platinum...does WG turn yellow?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Starlucy

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi PS''ers,

As I am in getting close to choosing my Tacori e-ring. I was going to go with the WG, because the Platinum is so expensive right now, and I was wondering if the WG will turn yellow? If so, can it be cleaned to take the yellow away down the road?

Anyone have an issues with their WG turning yellow?

Thanks,

Lucy

ABPlate

Rough_Rock
My E-ring is white gold, I''ve worn it going on nine years. The prongs for the center diamond are platinum, and about two years ago I did notice a color difference between the prongs and the body of the ring. According to my jeweler, white gold has to be re-dipped in a white metal (usually rhodium) every year to couple of years to restore the color, based on how much wear and tear the ring gets. Personally I''m looking at getting a new three-stone setting made out of platinum so I don''t have to worry about color changes, but it really is a personal choice-I know a lot of people who think new white gold is too shiny and prefer the looks of it after a few years.

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
Yup, it will turn yellow and you will need to get it redipped in rhodium every now and then (some skin types require more redipping than others.) Platinum on the other hand, will not turn yellow. I think the price of platinum is worth it because in the long run you will not have to pay $$ to have the ring re-dipped. Platinum stays white and is really durable.

Starlucy

Rough_Rock
Trade
Will the rhodium dip take the yellow out? The Tacori bands are so intricate, I wonder if it would get all the yellow out...hmm..

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Like silver plating, chrome plating, etc., rhodium plating is done in a bath using positive and negative electrical current. They will steam clean your ring and hang it on a hook. It goes into a solution of rhodium. The ring will be electrically charged one way, the solution the other and the rhodium molecules will adhere to the gold and plate the piece. Use a reputable jeweler who thoroughly cleans the rings and uses a strong, clean solution and it should be no problem.

Starlucy

Rough_Rock
Trade
LOL, that was quite the technical answer, very interesting. I think the jewler said it generally cost about $50.00, is that average? I am leaning towards the WG but I just want to be sure before making such a big investment.

I would love the Platinum, but being that we have wasted so much $$ now with other jewelers trying to custom make a ring. I have 2 platinum e-rings that I don''t like, and now we are just frustrated so we are going to buy the real thing... If I had just bought the Tacori in the first place I wouldn''t be having this dilema...I would have just bought the Platinium.

Thanks again for the information..

Pippin

Rough_Rock
See if they can do palladium! It''s awesome!!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also, cost of Pt as a raw material is at the cheapest in years nowadays so if you want a Pt ring, now is actually the time. They are still expensive because of the high density of Pt, purer alloy, at 95% compare to gold at 75% for a 18k WG, about more than twice the weight is required for the same ring compared to gold.

raviramani

Rough_Rock
I would suggest going with Palladium. I have never been a fan of White Gold. I am not sure if Tacori makes their designs in Palladium. It has similar properties as Platinum without the price tag of Platinum and without the headaches of White Gold. The disadvantage of Palladium is some jewelers have almost no experience working with the metal. Hopefully, that will change over the years.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/22/2009 5:31:46 PM
Author:Starlucy
Hi PS''ers,

As I am in getting close to choosing my Tacori e-ring. I was going to go with the WG, because the Platinum is so expensive right now, and I was wondering if the WG will turn yellow? If so, can it be cleaned to take the yellow away down the road?

Anyone have an issues with their WG turning yellow?

Thanks,

Lucy
I have worn some WG pieces for years and not had a problem with them turning yellow.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I only wear white gold and never had I had anything turn yellow. I have rings that are 20 yrs old in WG and are still very white

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I don''t wear it due to an allergic reaction but plenty of people i know do. Never heard of it yellowing on them. Didn''t even know it did until I joined PS.

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 7:56:37 AM
Author: elle_chris
I don''t wear it due to an allergic reaction but plenty of people i know do. Never heard of it yellowing on them. Didn''t even know it did until I joined PS.

Hi Elle,

Sorry this may sound a little stupid but i didn''t know a person can have allergic reactions to white gold? is this common? and does the different grades of wg (9k, 14k, 18k etc) has an effect on the severity of allergy?

thanks in advance.

hi StarLucy, sorry for the thread-jack.. will be back to you soon...

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Hi blastdoor-
Not sure if the difference in carat makes the difference. It''s the nickel content in the white gold that my skin can''t tolerate (rash). It''s happened to me with 14k and 18k.

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 8:42:20 AM
Author: elle_chris
Hi blastdoor-

Not sure if the difference in carat makes the difference. It''s the nickel content in the white gold that my skin can''t tolerate (rash). It''s happened to me with 14k and 18k.

thanks for the information Elle,

i am asking because my fiancee just ordered a 18k wg wedding band for me but i kinda have sensitive skin... hope everything goes well...

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was told that white gold which doesn't have that yellowing is because another alloy was used, usually nickel if it is still whitish because it is a white metal or if palladium is used it will be more grey coloured rather than yellow. I think I prefer yellow to the greyer look of white gold. A jeweller in the UK Ernest Jones (mall type) have on their paperwork that their white gold is a greyish white, so they must use palladium. (They also give a card stating they will rhodium plate for free, don't know if they still do that but I have one for a right hand ring I own). Also I believe nickel is banned over here now due to allergies.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results