shape
carat
color
clarity

White Gold vs. Platinum - Can setting be done with set budget?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mgkiest

Rough_Rock
Is it true that white gold will last based on every day wear up to/if not at least 10 years?

I love this setting (which I am having trouble posting the pics... Robbinsbros.com Stock # 0247699) I am being told by the Jewerler that my budget of $5500.00 is not good enough it I want it done in Platinum, but def can be done in White Gold.

I discussed with my future husband and we both agree we would feel comfortable purchasing if it def can last up to 10 years. We plan to.... of course, stay together forever and renew our vows on our 10th wedding anniversary at which point we would probably want to upgrade.

I don''t really care for the ring to be made with huge diamonds, I don''t even require a 1carat on the center stone, I would be happy with a .75 and everything else small, as long as it
Sparkles!!!!

Does it seem possible with the budget mentioned above and this setting?

Thanks. MGKiest
emwink.gif

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Is this it?

I should think that it would last longer than 10 years.

Scintillating...

RobbinZBros.jpg

E B

Ideal_Rock
MGKiest,

From what I''ve read about white gold, it lasts for a long time, but if you want it to maintain it''s "whiteness", it needs to be replated every year or so. A lot of people prefer white gold for many reasons. It''s lighter on the hand. It''s got a "warmer" white color. White gold vs. Platinum really comes down to preference, unless you''re on a budget, because Platinum is much more expensive.

There are several PS vendors that do custom work for reasonable prices. Whiteflash (www.whiteflash.com) is doing my custom engagement ring and they''re highly praised on this board. Give them (or any other reputable vendor) your budget, tell them you''d be just as happy with a beautiful ideal cut .75 carat, and show them the setting. I''m sure there will be several willing to work with you
9.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have never had good luck with white gold. The rhodium is always gone within a month which leaves it yellow. So that has to be based on your particular experiences. Some folks have had great luck and wear with white gold, I have not so all of my stuff is platinum.

I don''t know much about that particular setting but I can''t imagine it can''t be done in Plat for a reasonable price. Contact a few PS vendors.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
That is a gorgeous ring! I don''t think you need to be afraid of white gold. There are plenty of rings made out of white gold that have held up for many many years. Some on this forum have noticed a little discoloration over time, but you can always have the ring replated to maintain the color if it begins to look yellow. I have never had a problem with any of my white gold jewelry.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
white gold wears differently on different people depending on your skin. I have a white gold diamond band that I have worn on a daily basis for the last five years. It does need to be redipped (I have not done that once in the lifetime of the ring) and it a very light yellow now. I don''t think people would notice it unless it is stacked with another ring. Some companies will re-dip your ring every year free of charge. Some companies use different white gold that is suppose to last longer (maybe an expert can explain that one). If you don''t mind a warmer white there is nothing wrong with buying white gold. I think if I were on a tight budget I would rather have a nicer stone than the premium metal (no one will be able to tell) Both WG and PLT have upkeep. They are just different.

mgkiest

Rough_Rock
What sort of upkeep are we talking about for Platimum? Does anyone know what is the cost to re-dip in white gold if need be? I am concern that if I have to bring my ring in to get re-dipped every year even every 3 years that the stones will be switched on me. We are on Millitary schedule thus, will be moving a lot in the next 10 years, point being, I won''t be able to visit the same jewerler or build a trusting relationship.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
PLT needs to be repolished unless you like the patina look. I know Jared''s (oh know a B&M)
11.gif
does it for free if you buy the ring there (I know a girl that has a Jared''s ring and goes all the time) Some places probably have the same policy to redip your rings. Like I said before mine needs to be done but I don''t think anyone really notices or thinks its a YG ring. I guess it depends on how anal you are. I don''t think it is very expensive. My e-ring is PLT and most of the exposed metal is under my finger so I don''t think I will polish mine too often. The nice thing about PLT is that the metal is displaced not lost when it is scratched. So I guess that means my grand-daughter can wear the ring. Gold thins out over time but I think it takes longer than 10 years. Much longer. PLT vs. WG debate is always going to be an issue. It comes down to a personal choice. Is it worth it to you to spend $$$ on PLT? I think if you are on a budget WG is just fine.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I get my plat polished every 4-6 months. Looks brand new every time and never loses it''s shine really, even on my palm, gets a little beat up but not much.

White gold on my rings needed it done every 2 weeks to a month. It got REALLY pricey. It ran about $40 a ring. Which for two rings, adds up FAST. Platinum ALWAYS stays white.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/26/2005 4:02:18 PM
Author: ame
I get my plat polished every 4-6 months. Looks brand new every time and never loses it''s shine really, even on my palm, gets a little beat up but not much.

White gold on my rings needed it done every 2 weeks to a month. It got REALLY pricey. It ran about $40 a ring. Which for two rings, adds up FAST. Platinum ALWAYS stays white.

Wow Ame. I don''t think that 2 weeks - a month is normal! My white gold ring looked white for a couple of years. It is only now that it needs to get re-dipped and I am lazy
3.gif
Do you have any white gold rings so you know how your body chemistry reacts to them?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results