shape
carat
color
clarity

White Gold Question ... again!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nealf

Rough_Rock
Hi All,
I used this forum and the great search tool to learn about diamonds and just selected one.
I now have chosen a setting too but I had a question that has not been answered by reading the archives:

The custom jeweller who is making the setting told me that 14K white gold will look whiter than 18K white gold. Now this seems to be true because more alloy is used in the 14K WG as opposed to the 18K WG .... however I still would like to confirm with the unbiased forumites out here the following:

1. Is 14K WG better than 18K white gold from a "whiteness" perspective? How about from a strength perspective?
2. Should I ask for a platinum coating? Is it even possible to get a platinum coating on gold? Will this stay "whiter" for longer? Or is it the palladium alloy I should look into?
3. Should I get the prongs set in platinum? Or will this look too different in terms of colour in the end?

coussen2

Rough_Rock
hey, just wanted to let you know, my engagement ring is a 1 carat diamond set in 14 k white gold, and the reason we chose 14k as opposed to 18k is that 18k wasn't as white, and took away from the diamond. hope that helps
loopy.gif

manhattan01

Rough_Rock
I've never heard of platinum coating...and I don't know if that's possible...but if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say no.

You CAN get 14k and 18k rhodium plated to make it look whiter. In time, the white will fade and the yellow of the gold will begin to show through. You can have it re-plated after that. As for platinum prongs. You can enquire about it. Personally, I feel 18k prongs are too soft and opt for platinum.

Now...if you're interested in 19k white gold...let me know. It's hard to comy by.
1.gif

jlrobe

Rough_Rock
Rhodium plating is the most common for white gold, and rhodium is part of the platinum family. So when you say platinum coating, really that is rhodium plating. Actually I heard that rhodium is more rare than platinum and that is one reason why it is suitable for plating and not for an entire ring.

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
Hi!
I have a 14k white gold ring with platinum prongs. It is plated with rhodium.

I chose white gold because I do not like the dull look most platinum gets and don't mind when white gold turns slightly warmer - ie a dull yellow. I have a 14k white gold ring that's 3 years old and still looks white unless it is compared to a rhodium plated ring.

As for 14 versus 18 - we chose 14 because 18 is usually softer.

Platinum prongs are good for the center stone because the metal is stronger.
There is no color difference.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results