shape
carat
color
clarity

White Gold Prongs - PLEASE REPLY

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jpdoane

Rough_Rock
I would really like some input from you guys on this issues - Nobdy has responded to my last couple posts.

I am planning on getting a 14K White Gold Vatche X-Prong knockoff for my .68ct H&A. I know Platnum is stronger for settings but should I be nervous at all about WG prongs? I really like the way that WG looks and I also like the price difference from the real X-Prong.

Please give me some input, I just don''t want to set it in a ring thats not going to hold the stone securely. I''ll pay the $1000 if I have to to get a strong setting if thats what it takes, but I''d like to stick with WG if I can.

Thanks
-Jon

Hongerhond

Rough_Rock
I think white gold is about as strong as yellow gold, and yellow gold has been used for ages in jewelery. Sure, gold can break, but so can platinum. Some jewelers say that they get about as many platinum repairs as they do gold. If you like the look of white gold, go with that.

jenntheten

Rough_Rock
I don't think you have anything to worry about..just my opinion.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On 7/16/2003 11:43:31 AM jpdoane wrote:

"I would really like some input from you guys on this issues - Nobdy has responded to my last couple posts."

Jon,

I don't know anything about the strength of white gold, but wanted to let you know that it is my lack of knowledge that is keeping me from responding. If you would care to pool ignorance with me I will tell you what I would *think* would be true!

I *think* that white gold would be perfectly adequate for prongs since yellow gold is. The softness of gold is based on the amount of gold relative to other metals. Since 22K yellow is softer (less strong) than 18K yellow and 18K yellow softer than 14K yellow and 14K yellow softer than 10K yellow...the lower the gold content the stronger the metal.

In other words, not only should 18 karat white gold be fine for prongs since 18K yellow gold is, but by going to a less pure white gold (like 14K) I would think you would get more durability for a lower price.

OK. That's it. Now that I've shot off my mouth the experts will be attracted here to correct me, so you should get some feedback.

Best of luck!!!

read.gif

clementine

Shiny_Rock
I wanted white gold for my ring and head, but also wanted the strength of the platinum for the prongs. So I had a platinum head made and plated with white gold to match the rest of the ring. Looks great!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! While I was writing away, two other people responded! This thread is positively *hot*, now!!!

read.gif

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
Gold is fine..platinum is fine..4 prongs is fine...6 prongs is fine..
whatever...take what looks good to your eyes...

Believe me , if you hit your setting (gold or platinum)
with a hammer, I'm pretty sure you'll be able
to break it and chip your diamond.

Trichrome

jpdoane

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your replies,

Because of the nature of the setting (check out www.dvatche.com and look at the X-prong), I don't think I can get a platnum head on a white gold body for an X-prong type ring. It sounds like WG should be just fine, though. (Titanium is stronger than Platnum, but that doesn't mean people should worry about a Platnum setting... Steel buildings are stronger than wood ones, but I'm not nervous about my house collapsing...)

Thanks for all your help and input (more replys are always welcome too, I'm not getting the ring set for a couple more days)

-Jon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results