shape
carat
color
clarity

White gold or rose gold head/halo with rose gold shank?

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
I'm making final decisions for a ring and just cannot get past this one. I'll be getting this ring http://www.eternitybyyoni.com/engagement-rings/diamond-engagement-ring/Madison-Round-Halo-Ring-529.htm# in 14k rose gold with cathedral 'shoulders' and a plain shank/donut/struts. I tried on a few rings over the weekend and most had white gold heads even though they were yellow or rose gold bands. The jeweller said they recommended that and I've heard it before. I had it in my head that it would all be rose gold but now I am doubting that decision. My stone is small (5mm) and the halo stones will be 1.25mm so while I love a warm diamond and am not TOO worried about colour reflecting, I am conscious that the diamonds might be dulled down too much by rose gold and I won't have much sparkle or white light.

Any thoughts?

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
what color is your diamond?

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
Hi, I have no idea as it is not graded. It's currently bezel set in a yellow band (it's his grandmothers old ring).

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My suggestions based on my taste...I would go with the rose gold head to match the band, but have the prongs be white gold or platinum so that they blend with the diamond more.

If bezeling, I would see if the inner bezel could be white gold while the balance of the halo rose gold. Kinda like the opposite of my halo in the profile pic.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Shellcm|1447107920|3947458 said:
Hi, I have no idea as it is not graded. It's currently bezel set in a yellow band (it's his grandmothers old ring).

Well, that makes it a bit more difficult. But, I would generally agree with PintoBean's suggestion. If the diamond shows tint, though, I might even keep the prongs in rose gold.

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock
It is making it difficult. I thought about getting it graded but it seems like a big expense in relation to the stones value.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
You don't need to get it graded but If you can get it removed from the setting you can eyeball the color compared to other diamonds. with it being in a yellow gold halo, you are not going to be able to gauge the color accurately. I think it might help with deciding which color you might want to do the halo and basket- or at least if you want the prongs changed.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results