shape
carat
color
clarity

White gold or platinum? Tell me your reasons!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love platinum. I love it's heft, and the fact that it doesn't lose any of its metal over the years - it can be repolished.

But it's so expensive compared to white gold. Even apart from the initial purchase, platinum will cost more for resizing and repairs.

What are your thoughts on this age old question?

sugarski

Shiny_Rock
For earrings, white gold is fine, and I wouldn't and didn't spend the extra dough for platinum. But for a ring, I prefer platinum.

I don't like the idea of having to rhodium-plate a piece of jewelry. I think generally, if you want white metal, get something that is actually white metal (platinum). Gold is yellow; let it be yellow. (I do actually love the look of *unplated* nickel white gold... but that's probably getting into a more rarefied area of discussion, and it's definitely not white.)

ilovenailpolish

Rough_Rock
I like white gold 14k because it scratches less than platinum. Personal preference

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use white gold in most of my jewellery except for rings that I intend to wear regularly, or have significant sentimental values, or for CSs that are my nicer stones.

It is down to cost - I would have made all the rings in platinum, however, I cannot justify spending a disproportionate amount on the setting for CSs that cost less than 100 USD!

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Platinum for my rings and white or yellow gold for the rest of my bling due to cost and due to weight issues. I prefer the lightest earrings due to earlobe sensitivity to weight and gold fits that bill vs platinum. However I prefer platinum for my rings. No replating and platinum is timeless and I love the look of platinum over gold in general.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Platinum for main rings and white or yellow gold for lesser bling then silver for CS stones under a $1000 no point wasting money could go towards another diamond lol

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for WG for earrings/necklaces and platinum for rings/bracelets. My ER is WG and if the setting ever gets to the point of being worn out and beyond repair my next one will be platinum. The yellowing from contact and the rhodium wearing off is annoying and I don't even keep up with it anymore.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My e ring stones look better in unplated white gold than silvery platinum. It also looks better on my skin tone- white gold. Also I prefer other gold colors, but the ring needed to be white becuase of the amount of diamonds, and my want for the metal to melt away into the diamonds....so I didn't want a metal that would be the same as the bands I wear with it.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
neither.

Don't like the color of platinum (though I'll live with it for a piece with a lot of pave) and don't want to have to plate, so my choices are 14k unplated white, or yellow gold.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kb1gra|1446298719|3944152 said:
neither.

Don't like the color of platinum (though I'll live with it for a piece with a lot of pave) and don't want to have to plate, so my choices are 14k unplated white, or yellow gold.
Or palladium or pink or green gold::)

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1446299219|3944156 said:
neither.

I like some rose gold...but it has to be the right shade. Some are too "red" and some just look flesh toned on me and disappear. Palladium has that grayish platinum look that I think is bleh (enough that I took my original ring OUT of a platinum setting and had it reset in 14k unplated white).

My reset sat in the jeweler's case for a few days waiting for me to pick it up, and apparently the jeweler had to constantly explain to people that his client wanted a "softer" look and no, the ring was not tarnished or faded, it was supposed to look like that :-o :rolleyes: :angryfire: Hate the chromey look of rhodium plating and that people think that is what "white gold" looks like.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kb1gra|1446299689|3944158 said:
neither.

I like some rose gold...but it has to be the right shade. Some are too "red" and some just look flesh toned on me and disappear. Palladium has that grayish platinum look that I think is bleh (enough that I took my original ring OUT of a platinum setting and had it reset in 14k unplated white).

My reset sat in the jeweler's case for a few days waiting for me to pick it up, and apparently the jeweler had to constantly explain to people that his client wanted a "softer" look and no, the ring was not tarnished or faded, it was supposed to look like that :-o :rolleyes: :angryfire: Hate the chromey look of rhodium plating and that people think that is what "white gold" looks like.

I hate rhodium plating just becuase I fundamentally don't understand why you'd pay for gold then dip it in something else.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1446300623|3944161 said:
kb1gra|1446299689|3944158 said:
neither.

I hate rhodium plating just becuase I fundamentally don't understand why you'd pay for gold then dip it in something else.

Same reason as a lot of people do a lot of things: "the look of platinum for less!" except it doesn't look like platinum, it looks like chrome - and thanks to cheap rhodium plated silver jewelry, it looks cheap to me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results