shape
carat
color
clarity

White gold or Platinum for H or I color

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
Is white gold too bright for either an H or I color stone? Is Platinum too warm making the stones look more yellow? Which is the better option?

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
You’re fine with either. White gold is less money but needs to be re-plated. Platinum is more money and never needs re-plating. Platinum develops a patina over time. It’s also heavier. It’s really a personal preference unless you have a nickel allergy, then go with platinum, if not, go with white gold.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
H color I think you are fine either way. With I color, is the band just metal or will it have diamonds on it? Also, what size is the center stone. If it is a larger I color, I think you are better off with platinum. If the band is encrusted with diamonds, you won't see as much of the metal so you could go either way. I think if the stone is of a certain size in an I color the bright, gleaming white of the white gold in a metal-only shank may cause the I color to look for tinted.

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
H color I think you are fine either way. With I color, is the band just metal or will it have diamonds on it? Also, what size is the center stone. If it is a larger I color, I think you are better off with platinum. If the band is encrusted with diamonds, you won't see as much of the metal so you could go either way. I think if the stone is of a certain size in an I color the bright, gleaming white of the white gold in a metal-only shank may cause the I color to look for tinted.

The I is a 1.44. It is set in white gold now, but it's bothering me and just doesn't look right. Maybe that is the issue, the gold is too bright for the stone. I was thinking of returning it for platinum or a French pave shank. My only concern with the pave is will the I color stand out more against the pave stones (G to H color).

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Okay, so I totally get what you are saying. And I am saying this because for years I had platinum. When I got my current stone (in avatar) that is E color, I decided to just go with a plain solitaire mounting in white gold because I didn't want to invest a lot of $ in yet another mounting. I've had more mountings than I care to mention in the 30+ years since my hubby proposed and I felt like I've been through them all and I felt I couldn't drag the husband through yet another setting project. Clearly I have an attention issue lol! So I went for the 14kt white gold and the thing is, it's like a consistent "color" between the "whiteness" of the shank and the "whiteness" of my E colored diamond. Prior to this stone, I had an I color in a 3.29ct so the tint was visible. That was set in platinum with pave'. So I think what is bothering you is, as you said, the white gold is too bright/white for the warmth of your stone. The pave stones will be very small. I am sure that the stones in the mounting that I had my previous 3.29 ct. I color were probably also G-H. Are you doing this online or through a local jeweler? It would be nice if you could see how your stone would look with the pave'. However, in a 1.44 ct I think it should be fine. Especially if you go with platinum... is that what you are thinking?... platinum metal with the pave' stones?

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
I was thinking either the same plain shank I have but in platinum or the pave shank. I hadn't really thought about whether the pave would be white gold or Platinum. Do you think platinum would be a better choice with pave considering the stone color?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I have to honestly say that I think the plat would be better in both scenarios. Because even if you have a lot of pave' on the shank, the edges may still shine bright. The warmth and patina of the plat I just think is a better, more "seamless" pairing with the I color stone.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I was thinking either the same plain shank I have but in platinum or the pave shank. I hadn't really thought about whether the pave would be white gold or Platinum. Do you think platinum would be a better choice with pave considering the stone color?

I had 1.1ct I colored diamond set in platinum with pave diamonds and I could occasionally see the tint. It bothered me so with a bigger diamond (1.44ct), the tint might be more pronounced. However, I am rather color sensitive. As far as setting, I like platinum, it is care-free.

JohnnyAngel

Rough_Rock
I have a 1.20 carat I set in platinum and I think it looks fine. Yes, I can still see tint, but that’s just a fact of having an I colored diamond.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
If you are color sensitive, i wouldnt get a pave band. I have an I color stone (1.5 ct.) that i have set in a platinum solitaire and i hardly ever see a tint, except when its next to whiter diamonds. I had an eternity band custom made with H and I color stones so i dont see a difference between the stone colors. I usually wear the solitaire with a plain platinum band, tho, and it looks beautiful and white, and i am pretty color sensitive.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A smaller diamond of the same color will look more white than a larger diamond of the same color.

Logic is simple....the smaller diamond has a smaller body, which is where color is observed so there is less color to observe. As such, if doing pave, I'd suggest having the jeweler hand select the stones so you get a good color match.

I had David Klass (DK) custom make my wife's e-ring. While we established a color for the pave when pricing the setting, I was very insistent there was no color difference between the main stone and side stones. From the face up position, I think he nailed it. In side views where you can see more of the body of her main stone I can see some variance.

Also, FWIW, her stone is from BGD and is an H VS2 set in 14k white gold/palladium alloy mix.

I originally wanted to get her a platinum setting, but she was insistent on the "shiny" factor of the 14k WG. I was hesitant because traditional WG you have to continuously re-plate to keep it white. The frequency of the re-plating depends on the wearer's chemical composure and how quickly it breaks down the rhodium plating.

The WG/palladium alloy obtains it's white color from the palladium and never needs re-plated. So kind of a win of both worlds. Problem is not every jeweler offers this option.

1580145542477.png

1580145615696.png

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If platinum is in budget, I’d get that. If you can pick the alloy, my preferred is 950Ru.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results