shape
carat
color
clarity

White Gold or Platinum for Diamond Tennis Bracelet?

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I would like to purchase a 3ct diamond tennis bracelet. I am between 14k (or 18k) white gold and platinum. The only reason I prefer platinum was because I do not like how a white gold turns yellow over time and needs to be re-plated. I also wanted the bracelet to be heavier to prevent flipping. Do you, guys, have any recommendations?

ls430FL

Rough_Rock
This is my own personal preference but I am not a fan of how platinum sort of turns "antiquey" over time. I prefer the nice shine of 18kt white gold. I just have my 18kt white gold re-dipped and it is good as new. How often that needs to be done depends on the person, their wear habits, etc.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
There are alloys of white gold that do not need rhodium plating. It is naturally white. There are alloys containing palladium instead of nickel if allergies are a concern. I own several pieces of this white gold and love it. I don't have anything rhodium plated.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
There are alloys of white gold that do not need rhodium plating. It is naturally white. There are alloys containing palladium instead of nickel if allergies are a concern. I own several pieces of this white gold and love it. I don't have anything rhodium plated.

Thank you! Sounds like a good suggestion.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer white gold, it’s easy to re dip in rhodium once a year or so if needed. I don’t like how Platinum goes sort of grey looking. I think the bright whiteness of rhodium plating Is nicer.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer white gold, it’s easy to re dip in rhodium once a year or so if needed. I don’t like how Platinum goes sort of grey looking. I think the bright whiteness of rhodium plating Is nicer.

Cannot platinum be cleaned and re-polished to be bright white again?

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cannot platinum be cleaned and re-polished to be bright white again?

Platinum gets a patina as you wear it, like little dents and scratches that dull the surface. A platinum ring can be re polished but I don’t know if that’s possible / practical with a diamond tennis bracelet?
Rhodium plating is not expensive and they don’t need to unset diamonds. It lasts well, my engagement ring, worn daily gets done once every year and it’s mainly the underneath that wears.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Platinum gets a patina as you wear it, like little dents and scratches that dull the surface. A platinum ring can be re polished but I don’t know if that’s possible / practical with a diamond tennis bracelet?
Rhodium plating is not expensive and they don’t need to unset diamonds. It lasts well, my engagement ring, worn daily gets done once every year and it’s mainly the underneath that wears.

Good point! I have just heard something similar from HPD so I will take this into the consideration. Thank you!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had my 14ct white gold tennis bracelet for nearly 10 years, and have never needed it rhodium plated.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I have had my 14ct white gold tennis bracelet for nearly 10 years, and have never needed it rhodium plated.

:oops2: That is fantastic! You guys might sway me away from platinum...

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I have had a few platinum ring mountings and I’m sort of over it. I do not like the patina nor the tone of the metal. It looks dull to me after awhile. And I don’t like the weight. For tennis bracelets, I have 3: 1 in platinum and the other 2 in white gold. The platinum one is very heavy. The other 2 are more comfortable to wear and I have not had to have them replated. I do not wear my bracelets in the pool nor shower with them.
I fell back in love with white gold when I got the first of the 2 rings in my avatar. I love how it doesn’t carry the weight of platinum and the high polish and whiteness. One of them I’ve had now for 16 mos and the other only 3 mos and the metal colors look the same. I do not bathe nor wear in pool.

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
I've had my 14K white gold bracelet for over 7 years, worn it every day and it has not needed rhodium plating. My previous one never needed it either. I have very few white gold items that have needed or could use a dip. Ask the vendor if it'll need plating maintenance.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I've had my 14K white gold bracelet for over 7 years, worn it every day and it has not needed rhodium plating. My previous one never needed it either. I have very few white gold items that have needed or could use a dip. Ask the vendor if it'll need plating maintenance.

Good suggestion. I will ask them today. It is a hard decision as I had my heart set on platinum but now, hearing you, guys, makes me think twice about getting it. HPD also suggested 14k white gold.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The standard 95/5 iridium platinum is softer and shows more of the patina. My platinum rings are 90/10 iridium or 95/5 ruthenium and I have never even needed to have them polished. Of course, if you plan to stack your bracelet, then it will get more wear and need polishing or replating more often than if worn alone. I prefer the greater density and weight of platinum and the fact that it doesn't wear away like gold does. That said, my old tennis bracelet is wg, and since I rarely ever wear it, I haven't had to replate it. If I ever get an ideal cut tennis bracelet, my inclination is to lean toward platinum as my rings, studs, and diamond pendants are all platinum. But I might go with wg if I couldn't get the harder plat alloys.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
The standard 95/5 iridium platinum is softer and shows more of the patina. My platinum rings are 90/10 iridium or 95/5 ruthenium and I have never even needed to have them polished. Of course, if you plan to stack your bracelet, then it will get more wear and need polishing or replating more often than if worn alone. I prefer the greater density and weight of platinum and the fact that it doesn't wear away like gold does. That said, my old tennis bracelet is wg, and since I rarely ever wear it, I haven't had to replate it. If I ever get an ideal cut tennis bracelet, my inclination is to lean toward platinum as my rings, studs, and diamond pendants are all platinum. But I might go with wg if I couldn't get the harder plat alloys.

Funny but this is exactly what I have thought. I have never had a diamond bracelet (I used to dislike bracelets as they bang everywhere.) Now I want one. It will be my forever one from HPD. It will be worn regularly but not daily. It is only 3.78tcw (63 melee stones), thus I wanted platinum (they only offer the standard one) to add some weight to it. HPD suggested white gold all the way but since it is going to be my forever one, I do not want to worry about re-plating (I do not find yellowing of wg attractive.)

I just wonder if the platinum bracelet can be polished to shine again once turns to patine or not. :doh:

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock
Our wedding rings are platinum and my husband dislike that his turns antique dull grayish color. It was the first time I purchase platinum so never again. I vote for 14k or 18k white gold, you can't go wrong with either.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Our wedding rings are platinum and my husband dislike that his turns antique dull grayish color. It was the first time I purchase platinum so never again. I vote for 14k or 18k white gold, you can't go wrong with either.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with platinum. My e-ring is platinum and I love it - just not sure if it is suitable for a bracelet. Have you tried cleaning/polishing his band? It should look brand new again afterwards.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course a platinum bracelet can be polished! Platinum can be polished mostly without removing metal, too! I know @m-2-b has a platinum one from WF. Let me think if there are others. (After searching quickly, I can see that most of the custom WF bracelets are in platinum.)

Last edited:

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Of course a platinum bracelet can be polished! Platinum can be polished mostly without removing metal, too! I know @m-2-b has a platinum one from WF. Let me think if there are others. (After searching quickly, I can see that most of the custom WF bracelets are in platinum.)

Thank you, @diamondseeker2006 , for taking the time to post the links of the members of platinum bracelets. Someone in this thread said they are not sure whether platinum bracelet can be polished the same way as the ring. However, I had my heart set on platinum from the get go so I might just stick with it. I will speak with Layla one last time about the polishing.

Last edited:

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
I too wanted platinum. When I ordered from IDJ, the owner said platinum is soft and even his wife had hers in 14k. I've had mine 10 years.

tenshix

Rough_Rock
Thank you, @diamondseeker2006 , for taking the time to post the links of the members of platinum bracelets. Someone in this thread said they are not sure whether platinum bracelet can be polished the same way as the ring. However, I had my heart set on platinum from the get go so I might just stick with it. I will speak with Layla one last time about the polishing.

Hi @daisygrl , I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if you ended up getting a platinum or WG setting for your tennis bracelet? I'm currently debating between the two myself and I can't make a solid decision. I'm worried the platinum would be too heavy and uncomfortable for everyday wear (I'm getting 15 pointers, I think they estimated about ~5cttw) but I also personally don't want to deal with rhodium plating on WG, and I always preferred the patina on my platinum rings. I didn't like how my original 18k WG e-ring's plating wore off so I had it reset in platinum. I also have an allergy to nickel and the SA from IDJ recommended platinum. Which one did you end up getting and do you love it?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
@tenshix I have a number of different tennis bracelets. They are all white gold except one is platinum. The platinum one is very heavy. I would have to look up on my appraisal the size of the stones. I have never had an issue with rhodium with the other bracelets... I think the problem with rings in gold is that we are washing our hands, etc. We aren't doing that with bracelets. With that said, if you swim, shower, gym, do yard work, etc., with your bracelets then I am not sure what to tell you on that. Doing things like subjecting jewelry to all that is what will require the rhodium. I have not had any issues with WG rings because I do not wear them in the pool, ocean, shower, jacuzzi, etc. Those situations are not good for metal, even platinum. So I guess you need to assess if you are willing to take them off during those other activities. If you will just wear them when you are out and about each day and not subject them to bathing, swimming, etc., etc., then you should have no rhodium needs for the bracelets. As for the plat bracelet, unless your stones are very, very tiny and a very dainty mounting I would suggest you go for gold... but that is me. Just some things to consider. I look forward to seeing your new piece!

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @daisygrl , I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if you ended up getting a platinum or WG setting for your tennis bracelet? I'm currently debating between the two myself and I can't make a solid decision. I'm worried the platinum would be too heavy and uncomfortable for everyday wear (I'm getting 15 pointers, I think they estimated about ~5cttw) but I also personally don't want to deal with rhodium plating on WG, and I always preferred the patina on my platinum rings. I didn't like how my original 18k WG e-ring's plating wore off so I had it reset in platinum. I also have an allergy to nickel and the SA from IDJ recommended platinum. Which one did you end up getting and do you love it?

I ended up getting platinum and have no regrets. Mine is 5.67ctw and it is not heavy at all. However, I do prefer a slight weight just to feel it, knowing I am wearing the bracelet (I am always a little more cautious with my hands when wearing diamond bracelets to not bang them everywhere). If you are thinking of getting 5ctw, the bracelet will not be heavy (it is a perfect size, imo) and I believe platinum is a safe bet.

In fact, I decided that all my jewelry is going to be platinum (after I got my upgraded e-ring in platinum setting.) Knowing me, I would look for a slightest signs of white gold turning yellow-ish and I do not wish to do that. Platinum brings me piece of mind in this regard.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I ended up getting platinum and have no regrets. Mine is 5.67ctw and it is not heavy at all. However, I do prefer a slight weight just to feel it, knowing I am wearing the bracelet (I am always a little more cautious with my hands when wearing diamond bracelets to not bang them everywhere). If you are thinking of getting 5ctw, the bracelet will not be heavy (it is a perfect size, imo) and I believe platinum is a safe bet.

In fact, I decided that all my jewelry is going to be platinum (after I got my upgraded e-ring in platinum setting.) Knowing me, I would look for a slightest signs of white gold turning yellow-ish and I do not wish to do that. Platinum brings me piece of mind in this regard.

*peace of mind... darn autocorrect

chamois

Brilliant_Rock

Did I miss a post on your new ering?

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Did I miss a post on your new ering?

I did not make an official reveal but I did create a post about WF diamond mix-up where I mentioned my upgrade. I went from 2.13 CBI to 2.57 ACA - yes, I switched the vendors and now I am a WF customer.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
I did not make an official reveal but I did create a post about WF diamond mix-up where I mentioned my upgrade. I went from 2.13 CBI to 2.57 ACA - yes, I switched the vendors and now I am a WF customer.

Would you be willing to share how you made the upgrade/switch. Would love to see a pic of your new ACA.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Would you be willing to share how you made the upgrade/switch. Would love to see a pic of your new ACA.

I do not want to hijack this thread but I will make a reveal/new thread of my new setting and a new ACA and all the pics.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
I do not want to hijack this thread but I will make a reveal/new thread of my new setting and a new ACA and all the pics.

Thank you. Sorry for my thread jacking.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results