shape
carat
color
clarity

Whirlpool vs LG front loaders?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Finally time to buy new washing machine and dryer. Two top contenders are the whirlpool duet front loaders versus the LG. Consumer report gives good ratings for both and with current rebates... I can get them for basically same price.

The guys at store say go with whirlpool duet because longer history of performance... but sometimes I think they might get kickbacks for pushing one brand.

I read previous posts about positive LG comments...but anything about Whirlpool Duet??? Any one have friends or neighbors that love one over the other... or is it a coin toss?

Thanks!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/5/2008 11:57:58 AM
Author:Green with Envy
Finally time to buy new washing machine and dryer. Two top contenders are the whirlpool duet front loaders versus the LG. Consumer report gives good ratings for both and with current rebates... I can get them for basically same price.

The guys at store say go with whirlpool duet because longer history of performance... but sometimes I think they might get kickbacks for pushing one brand.

I read previous posts about positive LG comments...but anything about Whirlpool Duet??? Any one have friends or neighbors that love one over the other... or is it a coin toss?

Thanks!
I adore the Whirlpool Duet, and I do many, many loads of laundry per week. I have the set btw. I also dug through CR, but found that it was sometimes the matching dryer that would be a problem in certain brands. I think the Whirlpool set offers great value. A lot of people don't realize that LG is not a European brand, I believe it is Korean?

Anyway, I'm totally happy with my set almost a year later.

ETA: if you are switching to front load for the first time, you'll be amazed how little water and detergent you actually use, and yet your clothes get cleaner with less distressing. I'd never go back to top loading.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for input--- the guy at store made comments about german made vs Korean as well.

It seems like no one puts a protective drip pan under washer JUST IN CASE. Ours will be on 2nd floor so the only thing I am worried about going to ANY front loader is possibility of leaks.

ringabling

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve had a pretty grey color Duet pair for 4 years now and they''ve been perfect, can''t complain about anything.
I love LG products, but can''t comment on their w/d as I haven''t had them before.

I''m not sure which store you''re shopping at, but it''s unlikely they''d push one brand over another for kick backs.

Date: 1/5/2008 1:53:28 PM
Author: Green with Envy
Thanks for input--- the guy at store made comments about german made vs Korean as well.

It seems like no one puts a protective drip pan under washer JUST IN CASE. Ours will be on 2nd floor so the only thing I am worried about going to ANY front loader is possibility of leaks.
don''t worry about leaks, I''ve never seen so much a drip come from mine.
Look into the little drawers/lifts to go under them though, makes them more ergonomic for you.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i have had the LG front load washer and dryer for 4 years now and wouldn''t think of buying any other. LG has been around a long time under the name Gold Star many eons ago.....i once had a small black and white Gold Star tv that just wouldn''t give up. my refrigerator and microwave are also LG. the koreans are to asia what the germans are to europe when it comes to manufacturing.

movie zombie

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
We have LG front loaders and I love them.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for help- seems like Whirlpool and LG BOTH winners. I went with Whirlpool because best sale. Once I returned to my laundry room for measurements... I realize I DO have room for 10 inch pedestal.... but not the 15.5 with drawer. I have tons of shelves so do not need more storage with drawer.

I am 5''8 and the guy at store said if pedestals were less expensive he think EVERYONE who is tall would buy them. I can see big difference in ease of use with the extra high pedestals... but is it worth it to get the 10 inch ones??? I figure if do not get now... will never "upgrade."

Opinions?? I see one poster said it is worth it... but not sure if that was just for the extra high ones.

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
I have Frigidare front loaders in black (Cheapest brand I know) but I couldn''t be happier with them! I agree with Lyra, I''d never go back to top load.

To your pedestal question, I am SO GLAD we purchased those. I was hesitant at first to spend $100+ on some drawers but it''s so nice. I''m shorty so they are perfect height for me PLUS I love the addition of storage and hiding detergent and dryer sheets, et in the drawers! Makes the laundry room less of a mess! (Mine only came in one size, not extra high)

Very happy with the machines and pedestals!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I bought the Whirlpool Duet set when we bought our new house 3 years ago and they've been fabulously reliable. I couldn't be happier with them. Never an issue, never a repair (knock on wood). When I bought mine, my girlfriend had already owned them for 3 years herself and has had no problems either.....and she's beyond 6 years now.

I've never owned LG, and I don't know anyone else who does, so can't help much there.

ETA: My set is on the second floor as well. Our laundry area is at the top of our stairs behind bifold doors, and it has a small hole in the rear at floor level that drains through PVC down to the basement level. Just the same, we felt more comfortable having our plumber friend come by put PVC drain tray under the machine; he ran a pvc draining elbow from the tray to the drain hole.

The drain tray means we cannot open the pedastal drawer under the washer, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I don't need the drawer space!

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Ok- thanks for all the input! Since I have an entire laundry room with endless storage- I do not need drawers underneath washer. I went back to Sears and the sales guy actually talked me out of the shorter 10 inch pedestals. He said most people really only get pedestals for storage and if that is not a requirement for us- just forget them all together. For a guy who works on commissions I thought that was very honest. I don''t have any back issues or whatever and I hope to spend even LESS time in the laundry room with the huge frontloader capacity.

Now I have to wait until the delivery date of Jan. 25th! That feels like years from now!

ringabling

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/7/2008 9:54:05 PM
Author: Green with Envy
Ok- thanks for all the input! Since I have an entire laundry room with endless storage- I do not need drawers underneath washer. I went back to Sears and the sales guy actually talked me out of the shorter 10 inch pedestals. He said most people really only get pedestals for storage and if that is not a requirement for us- just forget them all together. For a guy who works on commissions I thought that was very honest. I don''t have any back issues or whatever and I hope to spend even LESS time in the laundry room with the huge frontloader capacity.

Now I have to wait until the delivery date of Jan. 25th! That feels like years from now!
oh funny! We have plenty of storage space too but we chose them on our SA''s recommendation to raise the w/d up to a more comfortable level - more ergonomic.
I''ve actually never used mine as storage, they''ve been empty for 4 years, but I can''t imagine my w/d being 10-12 inches lower, I''d buy the little drawers/pedestals again for sure.

I hate waiting, good luck and enjoy your new appilances!!

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Ahhhhh-- if we do not get those pedestals now before our Jan 25th delivery date... we are never getting them.

Ringabling- I see you got the silver machines... the guy at the store said the pedestals for the silver machines look the best.... but the white ones look cheesy.

Clearly he was selling to me, a woman, because I did not want my laundry room to look cheap! Especially with $1000 washers... my BF joked that I would never wear peds with Manolo Blahnik heels... even if they might make the shoes more comfy. I know it sounds crazy to worry about what the laundry room will look like!!!

But you are correct- even 10 inches will make a difference and more functional height.

ringabling

Brilliant_Rock
LOL! I'm all about a swanky laundry room too!
But do you want to trust a guy's opinion on the cheesy factor?
11.gif

kidding!

In all honesty, I don't think you'll even notice them after the initial first glance.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Initially, I had no interest in the pedestals either......until I realized how much I'd be BENDING to move the stuff around. NOT back friendly, even if you don't have back problems.

The risers were worth it just to move the machines up to ergo-friendly height, even though I didn't need the storage space.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Ok... it seems like everyone agrees... regardless that the painted white ones look cheesy (according to Sears salesman)

the shorter 10 inch pedestals are totally worth another $350!!!

Back to my research to see if I can find them cheaper than sears!

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
I have had the LG front loader set and really like it. The only thing I would suggest is that if you do go with the LG, make sure you leave the door open of the washer after your load is done, otherwise it starts smelling like mildew. A few other people I know with LG''s have also experienced something similiar. I don''t know if this is a problem with all front loaders, or just LG.

ringabling

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/18/2008 2:48:20 PM
Author: sap483
I have had the LG front loader set and really like it. The only thing I would suggest is that if you do go with the LG, make sure you leave the door open of the washer after your load is done, otherwise it starts smelling like mildew. A few other people I know with LG''s have also experienced something similiar. I don''t know if this is a problem with all front loaders, or just LG.
this is true for Duets as well. Actually, I never did it for probably 2 years and never actually had mildew, but it did smell musty once in a while. The I heard this tip about leaving the door open a little after washes and I haven''t noticed it again.
Must be a front loaded issue
33.gif

I think they prefer you not run a "bleach rinse" to clear it out.

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/18/2008 8:42:12 PM
Author: ringabling

Date: 1/18/2008 2:48:20 PM
Author: sap483
this is true for Duets as well. Actually, I never did it for probably 2 years and never actually had mildew, but it did smell musty once in a while. The I heard this tip about leaving the door open a little after washes and I haven''t noticed it again.
Must be a front loaded issue
33.gif

I think they prefer you not run a ''bleach rinse'' to clear it out.
I think it''s a front loader thing! I have the same problem. I just leave it open now after a wash.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
removing the lint from the filter more frequently seemed to have taken care of the problem re mildew smell with my frontload LG...........

movie zombie

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i don''t know if you have to buy from sears, but if not i really recommend best buy. we saved TONS of money - $400 on buying the duet sports at best buy. they totally negotiate!

also, regarding the pedestals - we have pedestals for our duet sports, but they are NOT
the matching ones. we were looking around at best buy and noticed a couple of pedestals for sale. after talking with the sales person, we found out that several models work with the duet sport w&d. we ended up getting the peds for $99 each- brand new in the box. the fit perfectly. the are whirlpool brand and have the drawers but they aren''t as tall as the duet sport peds with the drawer. so you may want to check that out.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
I am 5''7 and some change barefoot...and I wish I had the taller pedestals. Years using the upright models you only had to bend on the dryer load. But I have to bend on the both now. Who wants added crunch work when they are doing laundry? (just kidding)...I just realized I am in the silly things hunched over more than I am outside of them! My waist should be pencil thin huh?

If you plan on using the drawers for storage...the added room is nice. My bottles have to lay down and you MUST make sure the lid is closed and no drips remain. §

krispi

Shiny_Rock
A quick note about pedestals - you may not want them if your laundry room is on the second floor. Front load washers spin very fast, and without a very stable surface underneath, they can vibrate and make a lot of noise. I work for a builder, and before we knew better we had a lot of customer complaints about this issue.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did not get the Neptune front load, but the top load does not have an agitator so that helps protect clothes. In my new house I am also putting in stack washer dryers in my pool house, gym and mud rooms so I can confine certain things to certain spaces. I have heard Miele and Bosch make great stack washer dryers and most are front loaders. I am excited to research it. Another thing to note is service. If you should need it how tough is it to get, are there authorized factory service people who will come out in a timely way?

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
I am getting the whirlpool and 10 inch risers... my order has been messed up and delayed delivery so if I spend one more minute at the laundry mat... I am marching down to SEARS and doing my laundry right there in the showroom.

Supposedly... new stuff arrives tomorrow. I actually got the pedestals 50% off for all the delays. i think I will love them!

mrs.ROC

Rough_Rock
Ordered my LG set through Best Buy...just received yesterday, YAY!!! I did 3 test loads. QuestioN: what is the point of the delayed wash setting? My first load took 1-1/2 hours to finish? After that load, I did the speed wash setting. Is there a way to disable the delayed wash setting???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results