shape
carat
color
clarity

Which would you rather have -- OMC 3-stone or EC 5-stone?

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I recently saw a band on Ebay that made my heart go pitter patter -- it's a 5 stone EC band in 18kt white gold. The setting is a repro, but the diamonds are vintage. I've been coming back to it again and again wondering how to make it mine. As it turns out, the price of the band (after negotiating with the seller) is about the same price I would get if I sold my JbEG OMC 3-stone. I love my 3-stone and swore I would never sell it, but I haven't been wearing it much since getting my OEC. Not sure I would wear the Ebay band more, but it's something different -- step cuts as opposed to OMC/OECs. The other thing about the Ebay band is that I have always wanted an EC ring like this. In fact, I tried many years ago to create something similar and failed miserably. This one is done very well, I think. Would love to hear what people think!

Here's my 3 stone....

jbegring0001_2.jpg

jbegside.jpg

jbegring0001_4.jpg

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Re: Which would you rather have -- OMC 3-stone or EC 5-stone

And here's the 5 stone....

__kgrhqioki_e1ynv1gzjbnfhv__syg___1.jpg

__kgrhqiokjwe08mnpr_0bnfhvtck3w___1.jpg

__kgrhquoko4e1rejpcdybnfhvvg6ug___1.jpg

__kgrhqmokjse1qt8045hbnfhvrdfdq___1.jpg

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

Personally, I prefer the 3 stone. The 5 stone is really nice but they will get smudgy and that drives me nuts. Plus the profile of the 3 stone is prettier!

armywife13

Ideal_Rock

I agree with Fortekitty, while both are beautiful, I definitely prefer the three stone. :love:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I agree with FL. Your three stone is perfection!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

yennyfire|1347548976|3267469 said:
I agree with FL. Your three stone is perfection!

Of the two I like the threestone better - the detailing on the setting is gorgeous! But you already have a large stunning OEC in a very pretty setting so if you like variety in your collection I'd probably pick the EC five-stone...

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The OEC 3 stone for sure!! Yummy!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Have you seen the performance of an EC? Do you like that look? Although I love ECs and have an EC e-ring, because I own some old cut stones, I can tell you that you might find ECs to be boring compared to OMCs in the sparkle department. Just food for thought.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

EMERALD CUT BAND.

YES.

GET IT.

I was positive that one was on my ebay watchlist but now I can't find it. Anyway, it's beyond awesome. The OEC ring is just kind of boring and common by comparison.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock

Interesting that most seem to prefer the 3-stone hands down! I sure do wish I could have both!!!!

Chrono -- I used to have an EC and loved it when it was clean. But, like FK said, I don't like them when they get dirty. And I have no idea if these particular ECs are well cut. I do see some windowing in the hand shot. Not sure if that's a problem??

Distracts -- Tell me how you really feel, lol! I do agree with you that the 3-stone is a bit more pedestrian compared to the EC. Like I said, I wish I could have them both!!

Thanks everyone for weighing in -- it's a hard choice and I have a history of selling jewelry I later regret having sold.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I vote - ENTHUSIASTICALLY - for keeping the three-stone. The craftsmanship on the sides is exemplary and almost impossible for modern craftsmen to recreate. The emerald-cut band, while an excellent example of Deco, is something that, a) is much easier to recreate, and, b) much easier to find extant examples of. I've never seen a three-stone like your OMC ring! If you do sell, it, I am going to be first in line ... but I'd feel like a vulture, 'cause you should totally keep it. :Up_to_something:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've gotta vote for the EC myself!!!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

All the emerald cuts look like they have larger tables, and the crowns look super low. I'm not a fan of them.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree with Circe's points above - IMHO your OMC ring is really special both in terms of diamonds and setting, as compared to that 5-stone EC - while I like the EC setting face-up, the profile is not that interesting; and in terms of the emerald-cuts themselves, is it just me or is the center stone much thinner in width proportionately than the other stones? and the middle stone on the right seems to have a visible feather or two? [Could be the photos though, and maybe if you have the funds you could arrange to have the ring shipped to you (or an appraiser) for inspection to help make up your mind?]

If you *really* don't wear the OMC ring often enough to justify keeping it in your mind, I'd sell it in order to create an EC band ring based on that 5-stone EC ring but using great and well-matched ECs and adding in a little design detail to the profile.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock

Thank you, all!! I have made up my mind that I will keep my 3-stone. I do love the look of the EC band, but do have concerns about how well cut those stones are. What Fortekitty said about them looking flat with large tables really cemented my decision! AND the fact that it's not a vintage piece bothers me, too.

Circe -- your comments about my 3-stone were particularly helpful. I think I sometimes forget what a beautiful old mounting it is that would be virtually impossible to replicate today...well, not without a lot of money! I think I will regret selling the 3-stone even if I don't wear it very often. I obsessed about that ring for 2 months before I actually bought it and I sometimes think the itch for something new gets the better of me and that's how I end up regretting having sold some really lovely pieces.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Your 3 stone is gorgeous! I wouldn't give it up! But you can always recreate that EC ring since it was not an antique. I do love EC's and asschers as a different look from OEC/round stones.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

ForteKitty|1347553259|3267529 said:
All the emerald cuts look like they have larger tables, and the crowns look super low. I'm not a fan of them.

This is my thought, they do not look well cut -- you can also see the persons skin *through* the diamonds in the hand shot, not a good sign.

Having seen your three stone in person, the setting is divine and an amazing example of the period.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I'm so glad that you're keeping your three stone (not only because I love them, but because it's so unique and would be hard to duplicate, whereas I think you could much more easily re-create the emerald band).....Yay!!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Too late to influence since you've made your decision... but that's what I would have suggested - keep the OMC 3 stone! it is a beautiful and unique setting that would be very hard to purchase again, if you were to go with the 5 stone now... and then decide the 3 stone was better after all.

The OMC seems to suit your style moreso than the EC - from what little I've gathered from your other rings ;))

The 5 stone is a gorgeous concept, but I think in this particular ring you are showing, the stones are not the same quality as what would make you happy in the long run. I'd consider saving for this and using much better EC's. I really like the milgrain detail on the bezels!

Glad you are keeping your ring :))

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Glad you're keeping the three stone - the ec ring looks windowy and plain in comparison IMO.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am glad you are keeping your OMC ring. It's a PITA to keep my EC ring clean so I either don't wear it often or clean it every hour or two. :lol:

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock

I'm glad you decided to keep the 3 stone. I think it has a lot more character than the EC and such a pretty profile. The EC just seemed a little stark to me. It's just not my style, I guess.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'm glad you're keeping the 3 stone too. It really is a wonderful ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results