shape
carat
color
clarity

Which would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Samantha Red

Shiny_Rock
We are very lucky to be working with an independent B and M vendor here in the Uk for my ering. He has two certified stones for me to choose from and I am just confused. The first is 1.03 ct, J colour and VVS1 clarity, the second is 1.25 cts, F colour and I1 clarity (this looks eye clean to me with little bits of floating glass when seen through the loupe). They are both the same price at the equivalent of $4800. This is a seriously good price here, where you would pay three times that on the high street and I feel it equates with online vendors before paying the taxes to import so I am happy in that respect. My dilema is which stone, do I sacrifice clarity for size, or go with the crystal clear stone, that shows no colour to my eye at all. My fiance thinks the smaller because he thinks it looks nicer, but I feel a bit obsessed by the size. Do you think it will be that much bigger when set?

HELP!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm
There are plenty of other fish in the sea.
I''d keep fishing.

It is all personal, but I prefer when the color and clarity are closer.

ebonykawai

Shiny_Rock
I agree with Kenny. When I read the specs of both stones I thought "Gah, can''t they find something in the middle??" See if they can locate a nice VS2 or eyeclean, SI1, maybe a G or H. Good luck!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with Kenny. the pricing is due in part to the low color on one, and the very low clarity on the other. what are the other specs on these stones? are they ideal cut rounds?

Samantha Red

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/11/2007 2:07:46 PM
Author: mrssalvo
I agree with Kenny. the pricing is due in part to the low color on one, and the very low clarity on the other. what are the other specs on these stones? are they ideal cut rounds?
Hi Mrs Salvo et al

Thank you so much for the responses; I agree it is a little frustrating not to have something in the middle, but they are both ideal cut and therefore very easy on the eye. The J looks really white to me and I cannot see the inclusions on the other without the loupe. I just don''t know whether to go for size over clarity - does anyone have views on that?
I told him that cut was most important as I wanted something to look brilliant, whilst being prepared to sacrifice on the colour or clarity, so he has done what I told him. I was also very specific about wanting nothing less than one carat, so there had to be a compromise somewhere.

Thanks again, please vote for bigger or smaller

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well if it were me...in this situation I would vote for clarity over size.

Something doesn''t sit right with me about the clarity. You said that it''s an I1 but that you can only see inclusions with a loupe? Is there cloudiness or something too? I don''t think a stone that is completely eyeclean would be called an I1...but I don''t really know for sure.

But I agree with the others, look for something in the middle.

Apocalypse

Rough_Rock
Just my two cents

If you decide on the VVS1 make sure and set it in yellow gold as the color is not that great, and if you decide on the S1 you can often get settings that hide inclusions well.

But I do agree with the others that you should take your time and look around, when you do find "the one" there will very few hard questions and zero doubts

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I''d go for the F I1 as long as you can''t see the inclusion. I have an I1, and the inclusion can only be seen from the side. As long as it doesn''t bother you, I think that would be less noticable than the J color on the other stone.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
I think the "price is right" because you are comparing two stones that the quality of which are generally undersireable.

If the I-1 is really eye clean, then there are probably some durability issues with it. Look at the plot and see if there are cleavages or feathers drawn on the plot near the edge of the stone.

Also who was the lab that said these were Ideal cut, and the gradings represented by the seller?

Not all gemological labs are equal.

If these are the only 2 diamonds. I''d go with the J color one that has less inclusions.

You''d probably do a lot better to look for some other candidates to chose from.

Rockdoc

Samantha Red

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/11/2007 3:59:01 PM
Author: RockDoc
I think the ''price is right'' because you are comparing two stones that the quality of which are generally undersireable.

If the I-1 is really eye clean, then there are probably some durability issues with it. Look at the plot and see if there are cleavages or feathers drawn on the plot near the edge of the stone.

Also who was the lab that said these were Ideal cut, and the gradings represented by the seller?

Not all gemological labs are equal.

If these are the only 2 diamonds. I''d go with the J color one that has less inclusions.

You''d probably do a lot better to look for some other candidates to chose from.

Rockdoc
Thanks very much Rockdoc. Both stones were IGI certified, unfortunately I was so over come with excitement that I didn''t get the info regarding table, crown, pavillion etc. I think I was leaning towards the J because it looked so white, and I have seen some lovely J''s here on pricescope. I am really scared that I am making a disastrous decision now

analyticangel

Rough_Rock
Hi
Are there any other options for you? Can you stick with GIA or AGS to be sure of what you are getting.
Would it be worthwhile to plan a trip out of the UK to get a ring? Might you actually save money doing it that way??

Take your time and keep learning . When I started out even with a loupe I could not see what others could see. I wasn''t using the loupe correct, got caught up in the excitement and lighting of a store etc The more I read , listened I learned ( and I still have way way to go)

All I can say is the more stones you see the better it is to have an opinion and understand what you are actually seeing.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results