shape
carat
color
clarity

Which would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mjd

Rough_Rock

Hi there,

First of all I just want to say I am so glad I came across this site! I live in Ireland and diamonds here are 3/4 times the price they are in the US!! I will def be purchasing online. Thanks to all of you I have managed to arm myself with enough knowledge to ensure that I get a beautiful sparkly diamond. Now I just have to decide on a setting ...

1. Tiffany rb with melee border - v yummy!!

http://www.tiffany.com/expertise/engagement/engagement.aspx?style=round_brilliant&ring=melee#

30.gif

2. Tiffany rb with pear side stones - v classic & elegant looking

http://www.tiffany.com/expertise/engagement/engagement.aspx?style=round_brilliant&ring=pear#

18.gif

I am leaning towards number 1 because I''m a bit of a boho girl and I like the antique look. Also I have a very active job so the halo setting might be more practical.
However, number 2. is v pretty and timeless - prob a safer option. What do you think pricescopers? Which would you go for??

I am def going to get rings custom made as I am on a budget of approx 7,000. Which vendor would you recommend?

I will prob purchase the diamond(s) from the same vendor I choose to make the ring - this would make things easier I think.

All help and info appreciated!
26.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love 2, personally.

There is a Leon Mege piece that is a variation on number 1, very nicely done.

BDJ

Rough_Rock
I am having a custom ring made as we speak. I bought the diamond from Engagement Rings Direct, and am having the setting done by Quest. Both places have been amazingly helpful, and are very good at working to get the most out of your budget.

E B

Ideal_Rock
The second, for sure. Amazing.
30.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
#2 of course, see avatar, hehe.
3.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
They''re both really pretty, but I''d pick #2 also.

DiamondSeeker7

Shiny_Rock
My vote also goes to #2

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote #1 cause I love the sparkle that little diamonds give a setting. Also it''s an antique style setting.

#2 is very nice as long as it looks like the ones I''ve seen on PS. Take a look at Kaleigh''s ring and see that the pears don''t "stick up" at all. All three stones fit together well and the setting is very fluid.

[email protected]

Rough_Rock
OMG Mjd, I couldn''t agree more! I live in ireland too and it''s appalling the prices the shops here can get away with. I''ve recently purchased my ering online too and it''s due to arrive and I''m so excited! At approximately 1/3 the price listed in shops in the ehem D2 area.

Good luck with your purchase! Personally, I like the second pic better, it''s like you said, more classy and timeless. Something you won''t get sick of with time. It''s also has more wow factor! When you get sick of it, you can reset the pears into earrings :)

Sharon

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/20/2007 4:18:26 PM
Author: BDJ
I am having a custom ring made as we speak. I bought the diamond from Engagement Rings Direct, and am having the setting done by Quest. Both places have been amazingly helpful, and are very good at working to get the most out of your budget.
Hi BDJ,

What are you having done by Quest? Would love to know!!

Thanks
MWG

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/20/2007 3:51:40 PM
Author:mjd

Hi there,

First of all I just want to say I am so glad I came across this site! I live in Ireland and diamonds here are 3/4 times the price they are in the US!! I will def be purchasing online. Thanks to all of you I have managed to arm myself with enough knowledge to ensure that I get a beautiful sparkly diamond. Now I just have to decide on a setting ...

1. Tiffany rb with melee border - v yummy!!

http://www.tiffany.com/expertise/engagement/engagement.aspx?style=round_brilliant&ring=melee#

30.gif

2. Tiffany rb with pear side stones - v classic & elegant looking

http://www.tiffany.com/expertise/engagement/engagement.aspx?style=round_brilliant&ring=pear#

18.gif

I am leaning towards number 1 because I''m a bit of a boho girl and I like the antique look. Also I have a very active job so the halo setting might be more practical.
However, number 2. is v pretty and timeless - prob a safer option. What do you think pricescopers? Which would you go for??

I am def going to get rings custom made as I am on a budget of approx 7,000. Which vendor would you recommend?

I will prob purchase the diamond(s) from the same vendor I choose to make the ring - this would make things easier I think.

All help and info appreciated!
26.gif

I like number 1, but both are beautiful. Good Luck

MWG

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely #2. I was never a pear girl until I saw Kaleigh's ring, and now I love the look of a RB with pear sides.

ETA: Okay, I just checked out Soontobewed's new Leon ring, and it's a beauty! You should have a look.
30.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Number two is classic and beautiful, but I would go with number one. There is just something special about that design!!!

mjd

Rough_Rock
Sharry, I would love to hear about your experience buying online - which vendor di you go with and was the process painless?? I''m just a wee bit nervous about making such a large transaction on the net. What style ring did you go for?

mjd

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/24/2007 10:03:05 PM
Author: zoebartlett
Definitely #2. I was never a pear girl until I saw Kaleigh''s ring, and now I love the look of a RB with pear sides.

ETA: Okay, I just checked out Soontobewed''s new Leon ring, and it''s a beauty! You should have a look.
30.gif
Hey zoebartlett I can''t find Soontobeweds ring - where is it?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2007 8:50:35 AM
Author: mjd
Sharry, I would love to hear about your experience buying online - which vendor di you go with and was the process painless?? I'm just a wee bit nervous about making such a large transaction on the net. What style ring did you go for?
I'm not Sharry, but wanted to relay my own online experiences.

I too was extremely hesitant to purchase online, and really only did it out of sheer frustration with trying to shop locally. I don't regret it in the least, I'm thrilled.

I first purchased my upgrade from Goodoldgold. They are a great company, totally honest, and fun to work with. They carry outstanding stones, and a huge assortment of settings. It was SO easy.

They also have an outstanding tutorial section, with videos. Definitely at least look at that.
2.gif

http://www.goodoldgold.com/Home/

After that, I wanted new studs, and went with Whiteflash. Just insert everything I said about GOG, except their setting selection is much smaller, although they do custom work. Also, they carry two lines for their rounds and princess. The A Cut Above line, which is their own brand, and the Expert Selection, which are great value stones.

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Default.aspx

If you want to see their stuff, here's my thread.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/finally-my-upgrades.49892/

HTH!

[email protected]

Rough_Rock

Hi Mjd,

I shopped online for ages and found the best customer service from union diamond. I emailed a few other places but they never responded. I think whiteflash is pretty good too but I had already chosen a diamond from UD. Having said that, I haven''t received it yet! So I can''t recommend them until I see the finished product and get it appraised. My bf should be getting it on paddy''s day, heehee. I''m still scratching my head with regards to a setting. I posted another thread showing 2 settings I''m thinking of. I would like a solitaire setting. My diamond is a 2.2 ct RB, VS2, D, GIA excellent cut diamond. I''m also pretty nervous about buying it online but it has a 30 day return policy so I''ll have enough time to return it if I don''t like it. By the way, don''t forget you get stung for VAT and taxes coming into ireland...21% or so! Pretty steep but still cheaper than getting it locally!

I posted another thread which shows to 2 settings I''m thinking of. My diamond is quite big and I have small fingers so I don''t want to make the setting too busy! Just a simple solitaire!

Please keep me updated with your progress! Love to know!

Sharon

mjd

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/25/2007 9:31:22 AM
Author: sharr

Hi Mjd,

I shopped online for ages and found the best customer service from union diamond. I emailed a few other places but they never responded. I think whiteflash is pretty good too but I had already chosen a diamond from UD. Having said that, I haven''t received it yet! So I can''t recommend them until I see the finished product and get it appraised. My bf should be getting it on paddy''s day, heehee. I''m still scratching my head with regards to a setting. I posted another thread showing 2 settings I''m thinking of. I would like a solitaire setting. My diamond is a 2.2 ct RB, VS2, D, GIA excellent cut diamond. I''m also pretty nervous about buying it online but it has a 30 day return policy so I''ll have enough time to return it if I don''t like it. By the way, don''t forget you get stung for VAT and taxes coming into ireland...21% or so! Pretty steep but still cheaper than getting it locally!

I posted another thread which shows to 2 settings I''m thinking of. My diamond is quite big and I have small fingers so I don''t want to make the setting too busy! Just a simple solitaire!

Please keep me updated with your progress! Love to know!

Sharon
Ditto Sharon - keep me posted on yours. I totally forgot about the sales tax!!
14.gif
I don''t suppose there is any way around this? I was thinking it might be worth a trip to New York to pick up the ring - I''d rather spend the money on that if it would mean I could avoid paying the tax.

BTW your diamond sounds AMAZING!! It will be a stunner. Most diamonds here in eire are way under 1ct from what I''ve seen.

[email protected]

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/25/2007 11:50:22 AM
I totally forgot about the sales tax!! I don''t suppose there is any way around this? I was thinking it might be worth a trip to New York to pick up the ring - I''d rather spend the money on that if it would mean I could avoid paying the tax.

BTW your diamond sounds AMAZING!! It will be a stunner. Most diamonds here in eire are way under 1ct from what I''ve seen.
Hey mjd,

Yes, you can see why I''m equally as apprehensive about purchasing online. Quite an expensive thing to buy online!

The larger online diamond stores usually use fed ex to post out the diamond and insure the package till delivery, in order to do that, they have to declare the value of the package, hence customs are able to sting you for your purchase price. No way around this unfortunately! Going to NY is defo an option, esp if you go for a holiday too! Makes it all worthwhile and memorable. I think if you buy from some of the diamond shops online, you have the option of going to their retail store to look and choose the diamond you want which is what I would love to do but don''t have the time to go to the states. They will show you various diamonds under loupes, scopes and in different lighting so you will know exactly what you''re purchasing. You can also then get it appraised in NY! By the way, ireland is a real rip off too when you want an appraisal! I went to some of the reputable diamond shops in dublin, did you know they charge the cost of 1% of the appraised value + a fixed fee for your appraisal? I think that''s a really stupid and expensive thing for the shops to do since they might tend to skew towards appraising and valuating it for more than what it''s worth so they get more comission! You might be happy looking at the numbers walking out of the shop thinking it''s a good deal but wait till your insurance company charges you for the appraised value of the diamond to ensure it for the rest of your life?! Of course, I have no choice, I''ll have to get it done here!

Went shopping for rings in 3 south side shops and 1 northside jewellery shop the other day. You''re better off getting it overseas to buy from people who know what they''re talking about. A few of the shops have shopkeepers and sales assistance girls who didn''t even know the difference between a VS1 and VVS1. MANY if not all of them couldn''t tell me the difference between an ideal cut and a average cut. When you ask about cut (which is the most impt variable in a stone in my opinion), they all say oh, it''s a good one but can''t justify it why they said so, they don''t know anything about tables and depths etc.

Sorry, I''m venting my frustrations....kinda been very disappointed with the service and sales in ireland over the last few months.

However, bear in mind that when you buy a diamond overseas, you don''t get to go back to the shop and ask for free cleaning and checking of the prongs on the ring every year which is quite impt. Perhaps find a trusty jeweller nearby might be the answer. I''m terrified of people swopping my diamond for another if I leave it in their shop for a few hours. Don''t know what else you can do to prevent that and you hear tons of horror stories about such things happening!

I really hope you find what you''re looking for. Have you chosen your diamond yet? OOh, it''s all very exciting. Are you in dublin by the way?

Sharon

mjd

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/25/2007 2:03:37 PM
Author: sharr

Date: 2/25/2007 11:50:22 AM
I totally forgot about the sales tax!! I don''t suppose there is any way around this? I was thinking it might be worth a trip to New York to pick up the ring - I''d rather spend the money on that if it would mean I could avoid paying the tax.

Hey mjd,

Yes, you can see why I''m equally as apprehensive about purchasing online. Quite an expensive thing to buy online!

The larger online diamond stores usually use fed ex to post out the diamond and insure the package till delivery, in order to do that, they have to declare the value of the package, hence customs are able to sting you for your purchase price. No way around this unfortunately! Going to NY is defo an option, esp if you go for a holiday too! Makes it all worthwhile and memorable. I think if you buy from some of the diamond shops online, you have the option of going to their retail store to look and choose the diamond you want which is what I would love to do but don''t have the time to go to the states. They will show you various diamonds under loupes, scopes and in different lighting so you will know exactly what you''re purchasing. You can also then get it appraised in NY! By the way, ireland is a real rip off too when you want an appraisal! I went to some of the reputable diamond shops in dublin, did you know they charge the cost of 1% of the appraised value + a fixed fee for your appraisal? I think that''s a really stupid and expensive thing for the shops to do since they might tend to skew towards appraising and valuating it for more than what it''s worth so they get more comission! You might be happy looking at the numbers walking out of the shop thinking it''s a good deal but wait till your insurance company charges you for the appraised value of the diamond to ensure it for the rest of your life?! Of course, I have no choice, I''ll have to get it done here!

Went shopping for rings in 3 south side shops and 1 northside jewellery shop the other day. You''re better off getting it overseas to buy from people who know what they''re talking about. A few of the shops have shopkeepers and sales assistance girls who didn''t even know the difference between a VS1 and VVS1. MANY if not all of them couldn''t tell me the difference between an ideal cut and a average cut. When you ask about cut (which is the most impt variable in a stone in my opinion), they all say oh, it''s a good one but can''t justify it why they said so, they don''t know anything about tables and depths etc.

Sorry, I''m venting my frustrations....kinda been very disappointed with the service and sales in ireland over the last few months.

However, bear in mind that when you buy a diamond overseas, you don''t get to go back to the shop and ask for free cleaning and checking of the prongs on the ring every year which is quite impt. Perhaps find a trusty jeweller nearby might be the answer. I''m terrified of people swopping my diamond for another if I leave it in their shop for a few hours. Don''t know what else you can do to prevent that and you hear tons of horror stories about such things happening!

I really hope you find what you''re looking for. Have you chosen your diamond yet? OOh, it''s all very exciting. Are you in dublin by the way?

Sharon

.... I hear ya sister....
29.gif
I was shocked when I started looking at rings. I had a look around in Kilkenny and Dublin, shop assistants just don''t have a clue - and I couldn''t believe the prices!!! Thats when I turned to the web. I actually found a very good Irish site www.diamant.ie and I went to visit the owner Tom Beurghs. He was very knowledgeable and helpful and his prices are 25% cheaper than shops in Dublin. However, even he admitted that I could get a better deal by buying online from a US site, if you are comfortable with buying a diamond without seeing it in person.

BTW I had a look at your thread and I think the hearts on fire setting is fab. I tried on some HOF rings in KK - diamonds and settings are stunning, if a little high for my liking.

I am trying to decide which setting I will go for myself - at the moment I am trying to chose between the vatche I have attached, the leon mege (link above in other message and the tiffany - all rb with pear sides.

I haven''t chosen my diamond yet but I''ve more or less decided to go with a 1ctish ES rb from Whiteflash - I''ll get them to send it to the person making my ring and let that person source the sidestones. At the moment I am leaning towards Leon Mege - prices for settings are all around 2k and I like the style of ring he makes
28.gif

0655_003[1].jpg

mjd

Rough_Rock
This is the Leon Mege ring
30.gif
- obviously it will look at little diff with a 1ct but still pretty I think.

big_image_big_image_r011-01W.jpg

mjd

Rough_Rock
This is the Tiffany version - which is a nice balance between the two above but I have yet to see a good copy.

engagement_fancy_pearsides1_sm.jpg

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Pretty! I would go with the Leon or a copy thereof, the way the band tapers into a knife edge at the pears makes all the difference! The Tiffany is just less elegant next to that beauty.

BDJ

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/24/2007 9:39:23 PM
Author: MWG
Date: 2/20/2007 4:18:26 PM

Hi BDJ,

What are you having done by Quest? Would love to know!!

Thanks

MWG

Sorry it took me so long to get back!

Here is an image of the setting from Quest (just received today)! I am very happy with them; they did everything exactly the way that I wanted.

glamourwebzb1.jpg

I just posted a thread about it. Here is the link:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-cushion-solitaire-from-quest-engagement-rings-direct.58805/

Good luck!

B.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
They are both beautiful, but I''m a halo girl so I vote #1.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I''d pick #2. I don''t like fussy melee or halos, so it is an easy choice for me. #2 is more classic, less faddish, and will continue to look great years from now. Thinking ahead, you can always add a melee eternity band at some future anniversary if you like the look of #1 too.
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results