shape
carat
color
clarity

Which would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have choice of 3:

0.39 centre emerald cut, 2 x 0.09 pear cut side stones, clarity vvs2 (weight feels light on finger)

0.51 carat solitaire, SI1 clarity (weight feels medium on finger)

0.88 three stone, vs2 clarity (weight feels heavy on finger)

all rings are 18 carat gold.

all about same price, solitaire dearest, then 3 stone, then emerald cut but all within £100 price difference.

twinkly

Rough_Rock
Hi Pyramid,

Assuming that all three rings are priced at it's best value, I would choose the solitaire because that's my preference. When you said solitaire dearest, did you mean that's the one you like the most or is that the more expensive one of the three? I think the most important thing is which ring did you fall in love with because all three are a different look. This is just my 2 cents.

2.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
What's the color on these stones??
1.gif

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Hi Pyramid,

I don't want to sound like doctor Phill, but I feel you already know which one you want by coining the term,
"solitaire dearest."

kirk

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The solitaire is the most expensive. £125 more than the emerald cut 3 stone and £50 more than the three stone. The colours are all G to H. They are not certified but from a quality local jeweller who I have confidence in. Why do you ask Giangi - any reason regarding size, clarity, price comparisons?

Kirk I am in Scotland and dearest is commonly used here for most pricey. I am actually leaning towards the solitaire because of the size.

I would like the vvs2 quality if in a bigger stone and think I would miss the sparkle in the emerald cut although very nice. The three stone I like the weight of the ring because of the extra weight of stones but keep thinking it is more like an anniversary ring and each stone is just over quarter carat so think I may prefer the solitaire.

But then again I think about the vvs clarity of the emerald cut and the weighty feel of the three stone, so I just don't know. I was sitting in the jeweller not knowing which one to pick, felt like saying I will just take all three
4.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I was just curious...
2.gif
1.gif

Is the SI 1 certified?? Anyway, does it have a nice make??

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No none of them are. They all look okay to me. It may not be an SI1 as I was told they buy their stones between the SI and VS categories but with emerald cuts stay between vs and vvs categories. The emerald cut I feel may be vvs2 or vs1 there is a few white pinpoints or minute flecks (if they are not called pinpoints) in it, I feel lower than VVS1 anyway infact I could see them in daylight but then it is an emerald cut and I have very acute vision for clarity characteristics and they may have been reflecting in the facets too.

The jeweller said there was more in the three stone round than the emerald cut but I could not see them so I am saying VS2 as they are lower than the ones picked for emerald cuts he said.

The solitaire has a very very tiny feather in the centre low down in the pavillion.

I asked if the 3 stone would be the same clarity as the solitaire as it is round and he said no small stones are usually different that is why I am assuming a higher clarity for them (or did he mean lower?)

In fact the solitaire may be a vs2 because the inclusion is so tiny but I don't know.

The jeweller who helped me is qualified but was not the owner so I don't know if he knows for sure other than pointing out the grades they pick from on the chart.

I know the solitaire would have to be more expensive because of the half carat mark but then the 3 stone has more weight. Any ideas.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whatever you do...be SURE to check the GIRDLE!!!!
1.gif

What would this ring be for? A fun ring or a replacement e-ring/wed ring or? That may have some bearing on how you make your decision. If its not an e-ring and/or you already have your wedding set, I think the emerald sounds beautiful. The solitaire round to me says engagement. I would choose emerald, then 3 stone then solitaire last if it was a 2nd ring or a fun ring.
1.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I asked if the 3 stone would be the same clarity as the solitaire as it is round and he said no small stones are usually different that is why I am assuming a higher clarity for them (or did he mean lower?)

Do any jewellers here know how differently smaller stones are judged?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
emerald stone with size pears 0.39 carats and 2 x 0.09 carats VS1 G-H

three stone ring 0.30, 2 x 0.29 VS2 SI1 SI1 probably H

solitaire 0.51 carat SI1 or SI2 H-I

all about same price (within £125 or $196) solitaire most expensive, then three stone, then emerald stone although emerald has least total carat weight.

Just got this information from gemmologist, any change in opinion?
--------

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
''Whatever you do...be SURE to check the GIRDLE!!!!''
Mara, you read my mind!!!!!!!!!! But as we know, now pyramid is such an experienced girdle grader!!
1.gif
9.gif
J/K...

I have one question for you, pyramid... You can see a vvs2 inclusion with the naked eye???!!!!!!!!
eek.gif
eek.gif

BTW, as I already told you, I'd go with the solitaire... Can you give us a clue on the price??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results