shape
carat
color
clarity

Which would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just a little experiment. Both diamonds have similar results in direct light testing and both diamonds have nice HCA scores as well. They do however differ in their diffuse light testing. If you were making a decision between these 2 diamonds and had this pic to go by (taken in diffuse lights 5800 degree) does one of these stones appear brighter to you even if it is just by a little bit? I''m interested to hear the feedback. The diamond on the right or the diamond on the left? After I get some feedback I''ll share more details on these 2 stones if interested. Thanks in advanced for your feedback.

/idealbb/files/DSCN52522.JPG

Peace,

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
I would say the left,
If I'm right, it's shallower.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I don't know! Make a pair of earring out of them and I'll take them both.

Having said that, I'll go out on a limb and also say the one on the right. It seems to have a little more light on the bottom half of the stone...Like in the 6 o'clock position.

openhelix

Shiny_Rock
I'd say the one on the right, but they are both beautiful!!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Awesome. There is a visual difference between the 2 stones in diffuse light and I'm trying to capture this in a photo (I realize how hard this can be sometimes). Keep it coming and don't worry ... this is not a trick question or anything.

Manks

Rough_Rock
The one on the right.

Manks

Rough_Rock
The one on the right.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
The diamond on the right appears to have more light return thru the crown.
While the one on the left has more return on the edges.

Id expect the one on the right to appear brighter but the one on the left to have more fire under diffuse lighting if the photos are a true representation.

But there is a problem the angle between the crown and the lens is not the same for both diamonds.
They are showing the effects I see when ray-tracing RB cut diagrams when changing the angles slightly off axis.
The one on the left is has slightly more tilt towards the bottom of the image on the order of 2-3 degrees atleast..

What’s the orange dot on the right one? :}

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
images at 3x

kDSCN52522.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
areas where it is odvious that tilt is coming into play.

k2DSCN52522.jpg

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
The one on the right has an AGS report and the one on the left a GIA, right?
2.gif

Or is the one on the right an 8*?

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ew... good observations Watson.
1.gif
Actually it's not the tilt that is slightly different but the rotation (not done by me purposely). Both are tilted in the same direction which you can see from the centering of the culet in each. Shall I spill the beans just yet?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 5/8/2004 2:53:00 PM Rhino wrote:

Ew... good observations Watson.
1.gif
Actually it's not the tilt that is slightly different but the rotation (not done by me purposely). Both are tilted in the same direction which you can see from the centering of the culet in each. Shall I spill the beans just yet?
----------------

Well spilling beans is easier than splitting frog hairs.
I noticed the rotation is off also but that can be compensated for when comparing the same areas of the diamond.
Its definatly a tilt and thats my story and im sticking too it :}
If I had the energy and an hour to kill today today I could duplicate it using raywin with a facet angle corrected RB cutting diagram corrected for a good hca score.
It is showing the exact pattern difference a slight tilt would show. :}

Whats the orange a reflection of? thats the one that is driving me nuts figuring it out :}

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
The one on the right is brighter, but I find the one on the left more attractive. Perhaps it's because the one on the right looks more yellow and I like the purply flash of the left one better. (I know it's just the lighting, but still...)

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Rhino, for this little experiment! Just so you guys know, it was prompted by a question I was asking Rhino about two different diamonds in his inventory that I was trying to decide between for my upgrade stone. What I love about Rhino is that he is the kind of guy who takes the time to consult the forum on a question such as this, taking and posting pictures and all.

I am incredibly pleased to report that I will be the proud owner of the stone on the right, which has been put away for me as of today! A big thanks to Jonathan for all of his help, he is truly a class act. Once I receive the stone, pics and testimonial will follow.

Daniela

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
kewl Daniela congrates.
Whats the rest of the specs for that diamond?

rhino is kewl I like to drive him nutz at times lol

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, the right one looks bright.

There must be some better way to take shots of diamonds in dim light... at leats one can hope
5.gif
As for choosing, maybe I would not consider the pic relevant - the difference is quite subtle. However, it would be the probable look in diffuse or dim light that would be the thing for me to look for. Same as for color in those sapphires - they must be blue, not gray in the shadow. So why not request performance in the same conditions from diamonds? A matter of tradition, I suppose...

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Storm,

I think I might be driving Jonathan crazy too!

Here's the link to my diamond:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_012ct_h_vs2_h%26a.htm

It's a one carat H VS-2 hearts and arrows cut with fabulous light return, and Jonathan says it's a really clean VS-2 to boot.

It was actually a choice between three diamonds. At first I was deciding between the two diamonds that are pictured on this thread. Then I saw the new 1.03 G VS-2 that Jonathan put up on his site just yesterday. Here it is:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_03ct_g_vs2_h%26a.htm

It pegs the BrillianceScope on all three categories! My H VS-2 that I ended up choosing has very high on coloured light return and scintillation, but scores high on white light. So I called him today and even though he was busy he answered my questions with a smile. He told me that there was no difference between the G VS-2 and the H VS-2 as far as diffuse light return goes, but that the G VS-2 has just the slightest edge over the other one on direct light.

So I said, "How much of an edge? As in, will I see the edge with my own eyes and is it worth me coughing up more money for?" (Which I was ready to do if he thought it was a lot better). And Jonathan said that for the price difference, the white light return difference between the two stones probably wouldn't be worth it to me. He said that I might have a hard time telling them apart if I saw them side by side.

So that settled it. I really appreciate his candor, since the G VS-2 would have been a more expensive stone. One thing I've noticed about him is that he never tries to encourage people towards the more expensive stone if he doesn't think it's the right stone for them.

Anyway, whoever gets that G VS-2 will be getting a screaming stone! And as for my stone, I just know that I'll love it. I can't wait.

Another bonus is that it's a "high" H colour! Jonathan sent me the colorimeter results, and it's between an H and a G. I think that it's just such a great deal.

Daniela

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would pick the one on the right
1.gif

Congratulations on your new stone, Daniela!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
kewl its an awesome diamond :}
Im sure you will love it :}

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
----------------

On 5/8/2004 2:47:02 PM Stephan wrote:

The one on the right has an AGS report and the one on the left a GIA, right?

2.gif

----------------

Hey, I was right!
2.gif

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
----------------

On 5/8/2004 7:07:16 PM valeria101 wrote:

However, it would be the probable look in diffuse or dim light that would be the thing for me to look for.

----------------

That's a very professional way to look at diamonds, Ana.
I know it's crazy, but the thing for me to look for is the most fiery diamond under halogen, because I find diamonds in dim light ugly.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Daniela, the diamond you choose has the look of an 8*.
Congrats!
1.gif

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, guys, I can't wait!

Daniela

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
So, I'm confused. In simple terms, did you pick the one on the right or the one on the left?

Personally, the one on the right appeals to me more - just from the photos. But, I tend to like larger tables.

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
F&I--Sorry for the confusion. The one on the right is my diamond. The one on the left is a one carat G VS-1 AGS 000 that is still in GOG's inventory, from what I can tell.

I just sent my ring off to GOG this afternoon, and will worry about it constantly until it gets there on Wednesday morning. Did you guys know that you can't insure jewellery for more than $500 when you mail it from Canada? So I'm relying solely on my own insurance that I have on it (rider on our apartment insurance). I checked with all of the major shipping companies, and none of them will insure expensive jewellery. So I shipped it by Canada Post Purolator anyway, because what else could I do? Now I'm just praying for a safe passage! I'll let you guys know how I make out.

Daniela

KBerly

Brilliant_Rock
One on the right
9.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely the one on the right.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results