shape
carat
color
clarity

Which would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
If you had the choice between a lovely blue sapphire(around 4cts) or a gorgeous red spinel(around 3cts)? Color and cut being great on both! And why?

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Red Spinel. I can pick up a nice blue sapphire pretty much any time.
2.gif

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Red Spinel

reason #1- it''s my favorite color
reason #2- PP took the words right out of my mouth!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Red spinel. I love them, they are rarer and harder to find.

Besides, 4cts is too big for me

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blue sapphire for me, mostly because it''s my favorite stone and i don''t particularly care for red gemstones (for the most part).

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tough decision. Do you have a blue sapphire already? A great red spinel would be harder to find than a great blue sapphire.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Red spinel!

What are you planning? ? ? ?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
The spinel. Blue sapphires aren''t that difficult to find.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Finding a great red spinel of size 2 carats and upwards is very difficult. Blue sapphires are easier to come by.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well it depends. If it was a top blue unheated authentic Kashmir sapphire, um well
3.gif

Magenta

Shiny_Rock
I''d go the red spinel! Hopefully it performs better in all lights, too!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sapphire. Because blue is my favorite, and it trumps my love of spinel.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
sapphire. i love blue whereas i''m meh on red, and sapphire''s are one of my favorite stones!
1.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Spinel - there''s a much larger variety among nice blue stones, but nice reds are really hard to find.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Well, I had a poll-but it didn't show up I guess. But, it looks like there are mixed choices-with a few more leaning towards the spinel.

It is too early to spill the beans on what this project might be, so I will wait a little longer before I open my big mouth :)

I am a little torn, the spinel is a little small for me-but I love, love, love the cut and color.

The blue sapphire is a much better size for me and has a lovely cut and color, but I know that they are easier to find.

From what all of you have seen on the market, how much per carat would you pay for a really nice red spinel? I have seen prices all across the board!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fine quality red spinels of around 1 ct usually run close to $1000/ct these days, but this varies based upon final size, colour, clarity and to a smaller degree, cutting. I long for the bygone days of $400/ct to $600/ct for pure reds.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 9:06:10 AM
Author: Chrono
Fine quality red spinels of around 1 ct usually run close to $1000/ct these days, but this varies based upon final size, colour, clarity and to a smaller degree, cutting. I long for the bygone days of $400/ct to $600/ct for pure reds.
Thanks Chrono! I have a feeling that the one I have fallen for is going to be outrageously priced!!! Do you feel that the prices on really nice reds you've seen lately over 2cts have gone up significantly as well?

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ordinarily there would be no contest, the blue sapphire hands down but since I already have my set and I don''t really have any large reds I might just go for the spinel. Do you already have a large blue or red and if so then I would go with the one you don''t have. If I was starting from scratch then I would go with the blue sapphire. It''s my favorite color.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 9:38:43 AM
Author: Catmom
Ordinarily there would be no contest, the blue sapphire hands down but since I already have my set and I don''t really have any large reds I might just go for the spinel. Do you already have a large blue or red and if so then I would go with the one you don''t have. If I was starting from scratch then I would go with the blue sapphire. It''s my favorite color.
Hi Catmom! I love your blue sapphire set!!!

I do not have a large nice blue sapphire, that is one of the other reasons I am torn between the 2 options! I told myself that my next ''large'' gem purchase would be a nice, big blue sapphire.

But, I adore the spinel(even thought I think the price is going to be at the top of the market)!!! I have a nice, small ruby ring that is very special to me already and a 1ct red spinel-so I kind of thought that the gorgeous larger red spinel might be a little redundant for those reasons too!!!

I am torn I guess!?!?!
5.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/21/2009 9:30:22 AM
Author: stepcutnut

Thanks Chrono! I have a feeling that the one I have fallen for is going to be outrageously priced!!! Do you feel that the prices on really nice reds you''ve seen lately over 2cts have gone up significantly as well?
There''s no question the pricing on red spinel of all sizes have gone up. The price increase is even higher as the carat weight increases.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could you have both sent to you and then choose? I am terrible at making a choice when I can''t see the stone, even then it''s tough.

Good Luck!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 10:06:00 AM
Date: 4/21/2009 9:30:22 AM

Author: stepcutnut

Thanks Chrono! I have a feeling that the one I have fallen for is going to be outrageously priced!!! Do you feel that the prices on really nice reds you''ve seen lately over 2cts have gone up significantly as well?

There''s no question the pricing on red spinel of all sizes have gone up. The price increase is even higher as the carat weight increases.
No Kidding
25.gif

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 11:30:13 AM
Author: Stone Hunter

Could you have both sent to you and then choose? I am terrible at making a choice when I can''t see the stone, even then it''s tough.

Good Luck!
I am very torn on this decision too! I may have to see them in person :)

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Do you all prefer Red stones in Plat or YG?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer reds in yellow gold if it has a blue/purple undertone. If it has an orange undertone, then white metal is fine.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Chrono :) I honestly like reds in either!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
OK so another spinel question...

The stones origin: Burma or Tanzania---would you lean towards a stone from one location over another?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d go with sapphires, only because I love blue and don''t really wear red much.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Well I have fallen for 2 different Red Spinels...

One is from Burma and is a little under 3.5cts

The other is from Tanzania and is a little under 3cts

Both have great cuts and gorgeous color and are the same shape, but the first one I listed is about 2K less than the 2nd!

The First has a bit of extinction, but nothing too bothersome---I am so confused!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 3:59:43 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
I'd go with sapphires, only because I love blue and don't really wear red much.
I actually wear alot of both, so that isn't too much of an issue for me, plus Ruby is my birthstone---red spinel is similar right??? But, I would really love a gorgeous blue sapphire too! I think this will be my last larger purchase for a little while-tough decision
5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results