shape
carat
color
clarity

Which would you choose for earrings????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondnovice

Shiny_Rock
I currently have earrings that are uncerted but according to the jeweler I bought them from they are 1.17cttw H color and one is an SI2 while the other is an SI3. The SI3 is cut pretty well. You can see some arrows and mostly red and black with the idealscope but you can also see the inclusion as a white spot using the idealscope. The SI2 is awful. Lots of white around the perimeter of the table. When they get the least bit dirty, they just don''t sparkle. That is why I am looking into ideal cut earrings. The kicker is, I like the size (really diameter) of my current earrings but am willing to go slightly larger. I measured them and they are about 5.37 mm. I wanted to keep in the G/H color range and SI1/SI2 clarity range.

I have done a little searching for diamond pairs and have found three options so far. They all have HCA between 1.1 and 1.6. I wanted to spend around $3K. I plan on setting them in a simple platinum basket setting. Which would you pick? and do you think I color is too low?

cttw color clarity diameters HCA price
1.08 I SI1 5.28/5.3 1.5/1.5 $2702
1.09 G SI1/SI2 5.3/5.37 1.1/1.2 $3162
1.34 I SI1 5.6/5.65 1.4/1.6 $3293

Thanks.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I am all about the size for diamond earrings...so I would suggest going with the I SI1 largest ones. Are they 100% eye clean? Do you commonly wear diamond necklaces or rings that are DEFGH? If so, having I earrings MAY show a slight color difference, but probably not as they are on your head.

Did you find the general stones by using Pscope's search then narrowing it down to diamonds that work well in pairs?

I ran a quick little 'SuperIdeal' search and found this pair too if you wanted to stay within a lower color range and get a smaller carat weight.

http://www.whiteflash.com/acut/diamond_details.asp?ItemCode=2395 (.54c G SI1 ACA AGS0 H&A) $1533

http://www.whiteflash.com/acut/diamond_details.asp?ItemCode=2475 (.534 G SI1 ACA AGS0 H&A) $1563
(total is $3096 for 1.08ctw) (maybe you already saw these?) Both have HCA scores of around 1.4.

I have to say..well cut earrings DO make a huge difference. We had earrings that were sold to us as H VS and turns out 2 years later we find out they are N VS/SI. Yes..N! Since we do biz with that jeweler, he took them back right away and replaced them with G/VS which have a great cut to them. They mentioned something about their wholesaler giving them problems. Anyway, these new ones are hugely different than the original pair we bought. The original pair had tables of 62-64% and depth of around the same! Yikes! We had them appraised at $2000, $400 less than was paid for 1ctw 2 years ago. When we got the new ones, we had them appraised and they appraised for $5500! Big difference! Plus even when dirty these things sparkle immensely. Ours are set in baskets as well. My first were set in a tulip head prong and I like the basket setting much better for earrings, they sit closer to your lobe and do not fall over as much.

1.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Have you thought about just replacing the SI2?

diamondnovice

Shiny_Rock
Mara -

Thanks for the reply. My engagement ring is a D color although I am not wearing it yet (my bf has had it for about 5 months and is waiting for the "right time"
rolleyes.gif
). I am torn between the G color diamonds and the larger I color diamonds. I am not sure whether the I color will be noticeable in comparison to my e-ring or just in general. Since the earrings I am wearing now are an uncerted H, the I is probably close.
wacko.gif
Considering that diamonds in a basket setting are not going to be viewed from the side very easily, do you think an I color will be noticable?

All the diamonds I am looking at are from Jonathan's inventory so if I buy them from GOG, their policy is that the full payment of my original purchase would be credited to an upgrade at a later date.

Hest -

The reason I want to replace both is because even the better cut diamond loses its sparkle. It is an SI3 (the inclusion is white/clear) and I think that is what is reducing the brilliance.

Thanks for the responses!
wavey.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
The pricing is comparable between all three pairs, adjusting for the size and quality.

If price is no object, I like the latter two pairs. The 1.09's for the color, and the 1.34's for the size. Tough choice, but in the end I'd probably go for size over color, as long as the color is "I". A properly graded "I" color in a well cut stone looks great.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I looks great in earrings... SI 1 is fine too --at this size they should appear clean to the naked eye-- and noone will look at them so closely to find inclusions... Cut is great on both, so, if the price is ok for you, buy them!!!!!

BTW, as you wrote, there's an upgrade policy, so in the future you'll be able to get a bigger pair, should you need it (I think you will
2.gif
9.gif
)...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results