shape
carat
color
clarity

Which would you choose- Experts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Meraj

Rough_Rock
Which would you choose notwithstanding price?
1.25 c 8* ideal proportions 60.5 d, 54 table, VG sym & polish, Med girdle, v sm culet, G colour, VS2
or
1.5 ideal cut 60.4 depth, 56 table, vg sym & polish, vs1, D colour, thin to med girdle

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
That's a matter of personal preference and how much you want to feel different by having special diamond brand.

Ask yourself how pragmatic you want to be when buying diamonds
1.gif

I do not care much about diamonds at all or any diamond brand in particular so I will be boring and over analytical
1.gif

First, I would look at both to see whether I see a difference in cut/appearance and which one I prefer the most.

If I would see a difference and prefer 8*, I'd start thinking about price difference and whether 8* is worth the difference for ME. Assuming both cost the same, 8* should be almost 95% more expensive considering difference in size, color and clarity.

However, I may also not be able to see any difference in color (both are pretty white), clarity (only with a loupe) and size (spread, diameter), then I may not care about difference in these 3Cs and only compare the look of the diamonds and my personal sentiments or desire to possess something that I may (or may not) believe is non-ordinary (brand, artistry, philosophy, religion, etc - whatever else 8* may mean for me - personal things again).

Last but not least thing I would think about is resale value. I don’t have answer for this because I don’t know how easy it would be to sell 8*. Someone else, however, may not care about it at all.
1.gif

Again, all these speculations is my personal approach and I would use it to any other brand or type of diamonds.

You may care less about money and only care about getting something you (or others) believe is special, then go for 8*.
1.gif

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
What are the crown angle and pavilion angle measurements for each stone? And why are you considering a diamond with Very Good polish and symmetry when Excellent and Ideal polish and symmetry are so readily available? With technology improving the quality of diamond cut so rapidly, we recommend buying a diamond with the best paper characteristics possible in order to help maintain the future value and resale value of the diamond you buy today... We're really surprised to see that Richard is still producing such "excellent cut" diamonds with a polish and symmetry rating of Very Good, it's not like it's that difficult of a rating to achieve for a person of his obvious talent... Understand people, we're not "ripping" on Richard, not at all, we think he is a cutter of significant talent and ability, we're just expressing our surprise that he is still messing around with VG-VG.

Meraj

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the comments.

They both are GIA certified so I don't know the pavillion angles etc. Should I be asking for EGL USA cert to obtain this type of info? Will most vendors send the stone if I pay for it?

I like the 1.5 for its size.
If I purchase the 1.5, I am not going to know that I got the stone I purchased because I'm a novice and it is very hard to distinguish the inclusions under microscrope because I tried.

I like the 8* for its meaning etc.
I like the fact that the 8* is laser inscribed.
The 8* has no light leakage (they say.
Of course the 8* is expensive for its size.

Both stones are equally shiney and firey.

Decisions, decisions... they are so hard. I'm glad there are experts on this forum who can educate us novices. More comments from experts will help me so that I can decide please. Thanks.

69gm

Shiny_Rock
no don't ask for EGL-USA. ask for a sarin report. preferably a top-down report which will even break down the eight main facets of the crown and pavilion so you can see not just what the crown and pavilion angles are, but how they arrived at them.

Meraj

Rough_Rock
Will most vendors provide this sarin report? Is this report coming from a certain lab or can anyone w/a machine provide this report? Does the person have to be a trained gemologist to work this machine or anyone w/a sarin equipment can do it? How much does this report cost? If a vendor doesn't want to send it, does this mean the vendor is hiding something or is it some sort of policy thing? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results