shape
carat
color
clarity

Which would you buy? Need advice to put me over the edge : )

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
I'd love to make a purchase in the next couple of days, so would love some opinions/advice from someone with a lot more experience. Curious what you think about the following diamonds overall. Happy to continue my search if you think none of them would be a great buy. Thanks in advance for your time and feedback!

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD12510232 (eliminated)
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD12355234
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD12517790
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD12510232 (eliminated)

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I can see from the first stone posted that you don't have the measurements to go by to get one of the better cut GIA Ex cut stones. Limit your search to the measurements below.

Table: 54-57 (or 58 )
Depth: 60-62.3
Crown angle: 34.0-35.0 (or up to 35.5 if the pav angle is 40.6)
Pavilion angle: 40-6-40.9

(None of the ones posted are within this range and will not have as excellent light return.)

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
(None of the ones posted are within this range and will not have as excellent light return.)

Thanks for the quick response. The second and third seem really close. You don't think they're worth considering?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, those are not close enough. The angles work together. So when those angles are out of range, you end up with leakage and diminished light return.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the quick response. The second and third seem really close. You don't think they're worth considering?
Unfortunately close doesn't work most of the time. The angles need to be both within range and complimentary. Make sure to run all potential stones through the HCA calculator (under "tools"). If it scores over 2, reject it

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I must pick one it would be #2. #3 is cut too deep.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I must pick one it would be #2. #3 is cut too deep.
Sure. If I *had* to pick one I'd pick #2, but there are tons of stones out there that are better. I think OP can find something nicer.

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
Unfortunately close doesn't work most of the time. The angles need to be both within range and complimentary. Make sure to run all potential stones through the HCA calculator (under "tools"). If it scores over 2, reject it

Understood. Thanks!

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
Starting my search again. I would love to stay in the 1.8 zone, but may need to go outside of that. Also trying to keep the color at a minimum of an H. Below is one that fits the bill i think, i hope haha

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD12382795

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starting my search again. I would love to stay in the 1.8 zone, but may need to go outside of that. Also trying to keep the color at a minimum of an H. Below is one that fits the bill i think, i hope haha

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD12382795
Yup, MUCH better. Scores under 2 on the HCA and has angles and depth/table in our recommended range. Wish BN would provide advanced images like ASET and IS, but know they usually don't. I think this one is a solid contender.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
Yup, MUCH better. Scores under 2 on the HCA and has angles and depth/table in our recommended range. Wish BN would provide advanced images like ASET and IS, but know they usually don't. I think this one is a solid contender.

That's good news. At least I have a contender.

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
I'm not a fan of the word "knots" on my diamonds. That just me.

The emotional rollercoaster continues haha I appreciate the feedback though. It's off to the side and seems quite small, but i certainly get where you're coming from.

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
Below are a couple of more options, although the first one is more than i'd prefer to spend.

LD03148019
LD12512603

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not a fan of the word "knots" on my diamonds. That just me.
Oh dammit I didn't even see the knot on the plot (looking on my phone). Sorry! Yes, it's usually better to avoid knots if possible.

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
Oh dammit I didn't even see the knot on the plot (looking on my phone). Sorry! Yes, it's usually better to avoid knots if possible.

haha no worries. Back to no contenders again.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Below are a couple of more options, although the first one is more than i'd prefer to spend.

LD03148019
LD12512603
No and no. Both score over 2 on the HCA, which means angles aren't complimentary. it will save you a lot of time and effort to search using the PS tool and make sure it only shows you stones in the angle ranges we suggested AND that score EX on the HCA

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
No and no. Both score over 2 on the HCA, which means angles aren't complimentary. it will save you a lot of time and effort to search using the PS tool and make sure it only shows you stones in the angle ranges we suggested AND that score EX on the HCA

I see. Thanks for looking into them. I'll check the PS tool now.

Out of curiosity, the one that you initially though was ok, but not great scored under a 2, but it didn't get much love for some reason.

I'm referring to https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD12355234

In the meantime i'll take a look at the PS tool.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All stones mentioned in this thread, with the exception of the one with knot inclusion, are leaky under the table.

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
All stones mentioned in this thread, with the exception of the one with knot inclusion, are leaky under the table.

Noted. Thanks for your time and effort!

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
What is your budget you are working with?
Are you tied to using BN as a vendor?

I'd prefer to use Blue Nile if possible, but would be open to other options. Ideal amount to spend is 15K, but can stretch to 18K for the right stone.

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
I'd prefer to use Blue Nile if possible, but would be open to other options. Ideal amount to spend is 15K, but can stretch to 18K for the right stone.

I will take a look see what I can find for you

Venzen007

Shiny_Rock
I'll need to get over going down a grade in either color or clarity.

No, you don't. There are stones out there that will fall within your criteria AND be stellar cuts. Just be patient, and keep looking. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results