shape
carat
color
clarity

Which would look better in this setting?

Which would look better in this setting?

• Oval spinel from Dana

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • Round tourmaline from Barry

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Just show me the results!

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Woohoo, my first poll! I recently bought a very pretty 14k white gold LOGR setting second-hand from another PSer. The setting currently houses a pretty oval blue topaz, but I plan to switch it out for one of my unset stones. The question is...which one?

Note that the setting was actually made for a round stone of around 6.5-7mm, but the prongs had enough wiggle room for the original owner to fit the topaz, which looks about 7x9ish. Although it was meant for a round, I'm really liking the look of an E/W oval like the topaz, so I'm leaning to the spinel, but I wanted to know what you guys think. The spinel will leave more of an airline as it's 6.5x7.5mm, whereas the tourmaline is 7mm round, so it may fit better. But I'm thinking the color of the tourmaline might be better with rose or yellow gold.

Here is the setting:

The spinel, which color-shifts between lavender and a steely blue and is 6.5x7.5mm oval:

22361.jpg

And the tourmaline, which is a cool pine green (usually a little darker and greener than this):

barry%20pine%20green%20tourmaline.jpg

Anyway, let me know what you think (and if any altruistic Photoshoppers are reading this, help a girl out)!

3578870.jpg

7660151.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
ok I voted for the oval...well obviously i'm slightly biased as i thought an oval looked smashing in that setting. Can you get the topaz out first and then decide?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Steely spinel for me please!

I recently set a green stone in WG and I seriously with I'd set it in yellow. So if you think you'd rather set your green tourm in yellow or rose gold, then stick with your idea! My original plan was to set my green stone in YG, and then I got confused somewhere along the way. :sick:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't voted because I actually think both would look nice. The w/gold of the ring will enhance the steeley look of the oval but I think the round would look sensational in the setting and it would be a completely different look from the oval. I would second the suggestion of taking out the topaz and then putting both stones in to see which one really suits it better.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am somewhat undecided but given the two choices, I’d pick the spinel. Under other circumstances, I’d do yellow gold for both to lessen the stark contrast and to play down the steeliness.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Hope this gives you an idea, jstar -- not sure of size on the tourm but at least it's a general picture. Think i go for the oval too. I like its color better w/the setting.

--- Laurie

Ring1.jpg

Ring2.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cant vote...I like them both!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like both too!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Um..the blue. Jeez jstar it's too early for hard questions like this! I like them both, but I like the oval in it best.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
spinel.

MoZo

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I'm no help. I much prefer this setting with a round stone. I think it looks amazing! But I'd put the green stone in yellow gold, and save this setting for another round. So sorry!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
It's a lovely setting, but honestly, I don't think it makes the most of either stone. You could use either of them, and you'd have a pretty ring, but...

Do you happen to have a nice red or pink stone you could use in that setting?

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Not sure how to vote either. I think an oval shape looks best in the setting, but I like the color of the tourmaline better.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone! Still leaning towards the spinel, and it seems like the majority of you are too. A couple of things...

I wish I could get decent real-life pictures of the stones. The colors from the vendor photos really aren't a great representation (which is surprising re: the tourmaline given that Barry's pics are usually spot on). However, my camera lacks a decent macro, so vendor pics are the best I can do for now.

JewelFreak, thank you so much for the mockups! I think they both look pretty nice. The size of the tourmaline looks about right. The spinel is a good bit smaller than the topaz, so there would be a bit of an airline at the top and bottom of the setting, but I think I can live with that (after all, there's a definite airline to the left and right!).

It's definitely an either/or issue for this setting, as these are the only 2 stones I have left that would fit! I bought it specifically for one of these stones, and looking for another setting really isn't much of an option for me (did you know JStarfireB literally translates as "broke medical resident?" :tongue: ). The only other loose stones I have are a tsavorite from Gene that's too small and a moonstone that's too big (and it's a cab).

Chrono and others who are concerned about the color of the spinel...I actually bought it FOR its steeliness! I saw the spinel that Freke had set by Daniel M, and I had to have a cool grey spinel. I'd like to play it up rather than play it down, which is why I think it's nice in white gold. The picture is actually not what I usually see; that's the daylight color, and I'm usually indoors looking at a nice greyish purple (TL, avert your eyes!).

Aoife, I actually don't like red/pink stones very much! Although I'm sure I would make the entire CS forum salivate if I put a Mahenge spinel in it. :naughty:

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
So here's a better pic of the tourmaline in real life (actually taken by Freke, not me!). Still don't have a really good shot of the spinel.

IMG_0414.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Uh. I refuse to vote. I like both. Bah!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JStarfireB,
Since you went for the spinel because of the steely quality, then it’s the right stone for the setting. Of course, I’m sure a hot pink Mahenge in that setting will have the rest of the CS group screaming Mahenge p*orn. :lol: With the new BB tourmaline picture, I'm very sure yellow gold will be a good choice for the green body colour with blue flashes.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
jstarfireb|1293583673|2808369 said:
Chrono and others who are concerned about the color of the spinel...I actually bought it FOR its steeliness! I saw the spinel that Freke had set by Daniel M, and I had to have a cool grey spinel. I'd like to play it up rather than play it down, which is why I think it's nice in white gold. The picture is actually not what I usually see; that's the daylight color, and I'm usually indoors looking at a nice greyish purple (TL, avert your eyes!).

Aoife, I actually don't like red/pink stones very much! Although I'm sure I would make the entire CS forum salivate if I put a Mahenge spinel in it. :naughty:

Wow, jstar, that's a shocking admission! :lol: :lol: Is there a CS membership card that you might have to turn in?

It sounds as though you really know what you want to do, and I'm sure the spinel will look great in that setting. Like you, I appreciate the grey in some spinels, so I'll look forward to seeing how the finished ring looks.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results