shape
carat
color
clarity

Which will look bigger?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gail013

Shiny_Rock
Did you just buy the X Factor?

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely! The round will be visibly larger. You already know that they are two entirely different looks right? One square, one round? You just were checking about size appearance to get an idea of diff bet two stones of equal carat weights but diff shapes, right?

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 1:38:56 AM
Author: gail013
Did you just buy the X Factor?
Oh yeah, didn''t see that when I was looking! - that one is sold...

Mr3Rs

Rough_Rock
No, I did not buy the Xfactor yet. I was going to wire money today but unable to wait at the bank and plan to do it tomorrow. Tonight I did some research and found the round one and just wondered which would be better to get and if the difference in sizes would change my mind. Thanks for your replies.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took off 15% for the clipped corners, about the same size.

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 1:49:22 AM
Author: JulieN
I took off 15% for the clipped corners, about the same size.
Julie, really? 5.06 x 5.08 is the measurement for the x factor and 5.9 x 5.92 for the round? You think they will look the same size? Are they measuring their squares corner to corner and this is why you are adding 15% to it?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bah! I did 5.7 for the x factor instead of 5.07
40.gif

Mr3Rs

Rough_Rock
Julie, let''s say that size is the most important factor for me, do you think the round one is better?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, the round is bigger. My bad.

Mr3Rs

Rough_Rock
I am not sure how diamonds are measured. Is princess measured corner to corner? I came up with a graphic to make my point clearer. Am I right? The red one is round cut and green is princess with the same measurements, assuming they are both 7mm x 7mm. Thanks.

prinround.gif

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Your graphic needs adjustment. It goes the other way.

Draw the 7x7 box (or whatever mm you want). That is the princess. Then draw a 7mm circle inside the box so that the N/S/E/W poimts of the circle hit the walls of the box. That is the round, with a 7mm diameter.

People often say a princess looks smaller than a round, but I am not so sure. I own one of each and that princess of mine looks big for it''s carat weight. The round is sparklier though.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
the round has a surface area of 27.4mm squared and the X has 23.1 square mm''s - 16% difference.

And the round is very likely to have better edge to edge light return - the 23.1 might be effectively less than 20mmS - so probably a less than 0.50ct round will look about the same size as the X factor.

Mr3Rs

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your replies. Now I have a better idea of what I''m getting. I think I will go for the square one.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results